Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:20 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
He was engaging her in conversation and probably could see past her appearance to her real personality. Either way, YOU got her phone number and next week you'll be posting and cranking you are dateless and desperate.
thanks for the contributions... but no need to be pejorative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
I have no idea what constitutes a gay thing vs. a straight thing when it comes to this thread.

I had a guy quite aggressively try to get me and my friend to dance/hang out with his friend. So yeah straight guys willingly participate in this sort of behavior.

I've been a go between/sort of matchmaker for two couples who eventually were married.
Its because that is where our conversation went, when this took place. It was actualy his caim, that in the gay world this is pretty normal to which our response was that in the straight world it isnt like that. Honestly, I would never ask another person to get me a womans phone number, because that would put me at an instant disadvantage of being seen as someone indirect, which im far from.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
So did you call the girl or not?

[straight, gay...did you call the girl?!!?]
No, I havent called her. Im considering it, but to be perfectly honest my only interest in talking to her would be to find out what she thought of someone else getting me her phone number. I think she just wanted to sleep with me, which is fine - but ive been actively decluttering my love life in recent weeks, since dating several women at once brings more daily drama than i care for. We'll see, if i do call her and decide to give her the gift =), ill let you all know.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I don't think it matters how you get a gal's phone number and perhaps he was making a recommendation based upon her personality, not her looks.
Yes, his recommendation was based on both, because he voiced it. Maybe he was unto something.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
So I went to a bar last night with some friends, mostly attractive girls and we had alot of fun. There was a gay guy with us, a younger kid, super cool and social. He started talking to table of four girls and figured that one of them was most attractive. He then joined us outside and told me that i should approach this girl, because she is nice and very attractive. I checked her out for a minute and thought she was somewhat attractive but certainly not the most attractive girl in a bar, which is someone Id usually approach.

I told him that Ill think about it and maybe go over and talk to her at some point. Few minutes later he brings me her phone number and says "I pointed you out to her and she thought you were cute and wrote down her number for you in like 10 seconds". The girls I was hanging with started giggling and we got into this whole conversation about straight world versus gay world approaches. We explained to him, that in the straight world a guy approaches a girl himself and doesn't ask his buddy to go over and get a number, because that would be a pansy and an indirect way to approach a woman. He seemed shocked that thats the case and told us that this is not how it works in the gay world.

Most girls said that if this happened to them, they would simply tell the guy to come up himself and ask for a phone number, which makes perfect sense. What do you think of this whole deal? Is there an actual difference in straight world versus gay world approaches? Is there any other differences between the two that stand out to you? Have you ever had anything like this happen in your life?
There's no difference between the two "worlds" a sissy who uses his/her friend to get someone's attention will be labeled such in either "worlld". Everyone likes a direct approach

Old 08-30-2012, 08:01 PM

55 posts, read 64,716 times
l went to bar last few days , l saw both women hug and kiss. crazy ,,,,,..lesbians more than gays

Old 08-31-2012, 12:33 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I don't know what it's like in the 'gay world', but maybe gay guys do 'put in a word' for their mates moreso than straight guys, who knows. Maybe there's less fear of not being 'man enough' for the ladies? Maybe there's more comaraderie among gay men? Maybe it's just the circle he hangs with?

Anyway, I think it's sort of weird for a grown adult to go and ask for someone's phone number to give to someone else if they're in the SAME PLACE. Why didn't he just introduce her to you?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
I know, older topic, but it had some interesting perspectives so I brought it back up.

Most of the time when I have been out with gay friends they don't find the women im interested in attractive " what do you see in her? She has a too big- fill in the blank". Most of my straight friends usually sugar coat their opinion or dont say anything, which is fine with me.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-27-2013 at 12:05 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 11:32 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
The approach seems to be easier and more straightforward for gay people here in Buenos Aires, at least.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:08 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I have a couple of gay friends and I have noticed they are much more bold when approaching potential partners and much more receptive to being approached. Love it.
This reminds me when me and my friends did a prank to a friend who was getting married while I was in the USA. We were celebrating and enjoying a bachelor party and decided to take him out for "dinner" but we took him to a gay bar instead. Some of us were approached by other men to invite us a drink, chat, and even join their party/table. Wouldn't it be great if girls were that way and not just a few exceptions? But anyways, yeah, it was an interesting experience. I don't support their lifestyle but I don't hate them as long as they don't push me to support them.

Not sure about having a messenger go get someone's phone number though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships