Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times

Advertisements

Let me preface with that I generally know when people are talking about me, snapping pics on their cell phones of me or me and my husband, etc..

Last month my husband and I went out for drinks to a popular night spot. I was wearing 5" heels that night, so I was considerably taller than my husband...and the rest of the crowd for that matter.

There was a guy at the bar talking with a woman who looked to be 20+ years his senior. It didn't look romantic by any means, just chatting to pass the time. He was there with another guy who was chatting it up with two younger girls. About 10 minutes after my arrival, these younger girls were taking photos of me on their cell phones, but I'm not sure if the men were aware of it as they weren't with the girls at that time. I could tell though that I was the topic of their conversation at some point during the night.

My husband walked away to get a drink at the bar while I stood by our table. The guy who had been talking with the older woman came up to me and introduced himself. From there he was telling me how he was impressed and thought it was great that I was in heels because he never sees tall woman wearing them and that we should...yada, yada, yada. I smiled and told him "Yeah, I like them and my husband encourages me to wear them" because I was unsure if he was just curious or interested. He started going on about he and his friend really liked it and I questioned "You mean to tell me you're not mocking me?!" (At the time I was unsure of what was being discussed about me with the other guy and the girls who had been snapping my photo.) He exclaimed "No! Anything but!" At that point my husband had returned. The guy introduced himself to my husband, paid him a compliment in regards to me, wished us a great night and returned to his friends.

So my question is...is he or his friends just curious about my height? Or is that a way of just testing the waters?

Obviously this isn't the first time something like this has happened to me, which is why I'm asking. I mean if a guy offers to buy me a drink, its pretty obvious he's interested, but it's situations like above that I have difficulty gauging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 10:43 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Are you unusually tall without the heels? What did your husband make of it? You say it's not unusual for strangers to take photos of you with their phones? Do people really do this? I've never heard of this. It sounds really odd, especially for the girls to be taking pictures of you. Sorry, I have no answers, only questions.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you unusually tall without the heels?
I don't consider myself unusually tall at 6'1", but apparently others do. LOL

Quote:
What did your husband make of it?
My husband watched the whole thing and was mouthing "Do you need help?" I shook my head no because the guy wasn't being rude or disrespectful, but my husband is used to people (men and women) asking questions or commenting. Generally women will comment/ask questions if they're directly next to me whether it be at the bar or in the ladies room and they have no problems doing so in front of my husband. Men will do it either when they're directly next to me or they come up to me, but they always wait until my husband isn't present. I don't know if they're just curious, but want to avoid the potential for confrontation, so they wait until my husband steps away for a bit.

Quote:
You say it's not unusual for strangers to take photos of you with their phones? Do people really do this? I've never heard of this. It sounds really odd, especially for the girls to be taking pictures of you. Sorry, I have no answers, only questions.
It's becoming more frequent now that everybody and their mother has a camera in their cell phone. I've had people do it with regular cameras as well. People try and "sneak" pics and others directly ask to take photos (although that's infrequent and the last time happened years ago.) It's usually girls (in their twenties) and they will try and pose directly in front of me or my husband while a friend snaps the photo. I'm assuming its for FB or Tweeting "Look at this giant at the club" or to post the height difference between me and my husband. This last time the girls were so obvious that it was pissing off my husband. He was getting to the point of speaking with them but they stopped. It's a hard accusation to make directly to people and unfortunately, there's no law preventing them from taking pictures of others. Normally I make the people aware that I know what they're doing by staring at them and they end up whispering "I think she saw us" or "She knows" and I do my best to avoid the photo or turn around so that my face isn't photographed.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:35 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I don't consider myself unusually tall at 6'1", but apparently others do. LOL
There's your answer. 6'1" + 5" heels = 6'6". You're the town giraffe. That's still no excuse for people to be photographing you, much less treating you like some kind of circus show, and trying to surreptitiously get photographed with you. But... humans will be human. C'est la vie. Your hubby sounds like a peach, though! Lucky you!

Old 09-03-2012, 02:07 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
The fact that the guy waited until your husband left makes it look like he may have been trying to feel you out.

Not sure why an old guy would approach you just to talk about heels.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 PM

633 posts, read 724,253 times
Curiousity or Being Hit On?

who gives a sheet? you're already married anyway. geezzz...

Old 09-03-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
The fact that the guy waited until your husband left makes it look like he may have been trying to feel you out.

Not sure why an old guy would approach you just to talk about heels.
He wasnt what I would consider old. He was in his early 30s.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
Curiousity or Being Hit On?

who gives a sheet? you're already married anyway. geezzz...
Shouldn't you be saving a refugee or two instead of wasting time on a message board???

Old 09-03-2012, 02:35 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,370 times
[quote=TheImportersWife;25926425]I don't consider myself unusually tall at 6'1", but apparently others do. LOL

Really?
that's above average height for a man. You don't find that unusually tall for a woman?
Really?

Old 09-03-2012, 02:50 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Shouldn't you be saving a refugee or two instead of wasting time on a message board???
HaHaHaHa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships