Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,875,674 times

Advertisements

This somewhat ties into the class thread that got locked up. I missed the boat on that one. Anyway, would you? I don't think it would matter to me as long as she was smart, driven, and successful. It's becoming more and more apparent that college may not be the best way to invest the tens of thousands of dollars it takes to obtain that piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
This somewhat ties into the class thread that got locked up. I missed the boat on that one. Anyway, would you? I don't think it would matter to me as long as she was smart, driven, and successful. It's becoming more and more apparent that college may not be the best way to invest the tens of thousands of dollars it takes to obtain that piece of paper.
I would date someone without a degree if I really liked him, but I would prefer someone who has one because I have one also.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Yes, I would and I have a Bachelor's degree in Business Management. I would want a partner who is making headway in a respectable career. I know plenty of non-college folks (or those who "only" have 2-year degrees) who are making a solid income in areas like comestology, military, shipbuilding, welding, etc.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
That "piece of paper" guarantees nothing and it definitely wasn't a requirement for me when I was out in the dating world.

90 posts, read 131,560 times
What matters to me is that someone is interested in the world around them, that they read, discuss and are open to learning. I have met people with college degrees who don't fall into this category and I've met those without them that do.

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
since when did men care about a woman being smart, driven and successful?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeingJane View Post
What matters to me is that someone is interested in the world around them, that they read, discuss and are open to learning. I have met people with college degrees who don't fall into this category and I've met those without them that do.

Exactly. Actually, a couple of my coworkers don't have degrees, and we are all doing the same job that supposed required a degree. They are top tier people in our space. They of course value education and learning, but family circumstances/finances prevented them from completing the degree.

They aren't doing too badly, each of them is making ~6 figures in our high cost region. In tech jobs. Not programming.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,944 times
Quote:
I have no problem with someone's not having a college degree. Many people in my family never went to college. Several had military careers; some were tradesmen who had their own businesses. So long as she is smart and likes her job well enough not to complain about it constantly, I'm not hung up on a woman's educational pedigree.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,944 times
Quote:
This. ^^^

Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,875,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
That "piece of paper" guarantees nothing and it definitely wasn't a requirement for me when I was out in the dating world.
Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree with both posts. It's a who you know world. My GPA was nothing special and neither was the school I went to, but I was able to network my way into a decent job straight out of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships