Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,026 times

Advertisements

I love all these stories! It gives me hope, lol! Keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,035,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Where in Spain did you live? Love that country, prolly going back for a visit soon.
Barcelona. I had been there before, and while living there proved to be very different from vacationing there and my Catalan was always crap, it was fantastic.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,813,382 times
Met mine when I was in 4th grade, he was in 3rd. He was my neighbor, my first best friend and first crush, though I was too shy to tell him. Our families are very close. Our mothers are best friends, as were our fathers, until his dad died suddenly in 1997. My mother was the one who found him.

He moved to Chicago years ago, and we reconnected when he came down here to visit his old friends (including me). We were reminiscing and looking at old photos and he confessed he had a crush on me in high school and college, but was also too shy to say anything. We realized we have something, all these years later, so now we're together, though in a LDR. I have family in Chicago so it works out well. We see each other as often as we can.

This came just when I'd decided to throw in the towel on relationships, after I broke up with my last boyfriend a few months ago and was beyond frustrated with my personal life. It's been a crazy year for me, in that regard. I had written in my journal (iPad app ) the night before "he" came down that I was through with dating, at least for a while.

Serendipity.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
I will try to keep it from getting too long.

My wife contacted me on match. I all but given up on finding a partner, and was about to give up on dating when she "winked" at me. Her profile and initial few emails seemed genuine, but I honestly felt she was just in need of a "friend." She was going through a lengthy divorce (took over 2.5 yrs), and was a single mother. So we didn't meet, or date, or anything. We sort of just became pen pals.

Over the next year, we emailed, chatted, texted, etc with increasing frequency to the point where it became a daily routine. We became close friends of sorts, sharing all kinds of things. She would lean on me when she needed to vent or have emotional support. We talked about our jobs, our faith, or political views, our likes, dislikes, what we did, what our goals and ambitions were. Just about anything and everything.

Through this, we started to have expectations, as we continued to grow closer. So some time after she was divorced (maybe about 8 months after the divorce was finalized, and 16 months after that first email) we decided to go on a date.

What I remember most about that first date, just coffee at Starbucks, was amazement that she was exactly what I expected her to be. In all my previous online dating experiences (which occured a LOT quicker than this 1st date), I found the woman I went out with to be nothing what I expected, either because they did not know themselves or they were being purposely misleading. This was the opposite.

There was definately a spark and chemistry between us, which may have been helped by the fact we knew everything about each other already. It was not at all like a normal first date. By our third date, I remember her commenting to me how comfortable and natural she felt with me, like we had been dating for years.

We found we had so much in common. Intersts, activities, small preferences (we both even have the same favorite color). I could not have created someone who was more of a soul mate to me than she is if I tried.

So, we ultimately got engaged, and are happily married!

(it still amazes me to this day, because I had basically given up on dating when she contacted me, settling in my mind that I would never have a quality partner or relationship).

Old 09-07-2012, 11:03 AM

271 posts, read 532,141 times
We met on the internet, arranging to meet in person at a bar. Long story incredibly short, we got along very well. I dropped her off at the subway, but there was no kiss. She called me a few minutes later, telling me that I should have kissed her, so I told her to turn around and meet me at the subway. She did, I took her home, I called in sick for work and we spent the next three days together. It's now been four extremely bliss-filled years.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
We "met" (rather he found me ) on a matchmaking site 13 years ago. Sparks were immediate. I'll never forget his grin (and muscles ) the first time we met.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:55 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,942 times
We met at my old job. I worked in a bus station and she was coming into town to start her freshmen year of college. We were just friends for a good while. Of course, there was physical attraction. Still we built a good friendship in the beginning. After a year or so of knowing her it evolved into a romantic relationship. The thing that struck me most about her was her conversation. She was (and still is) very relatable and easy to talk to. There was no pretense or mind games. It was a breath of fresh air. I was in my early 20's and quickly realized I had little patience for the dating scene. I promised myself if I was lucky enough to come across the right kind of woman I would go all out to make it work.

This month we will celebrate 9 years of marriage. It has been challenging at times. Like someone else noted, our challenges have come from external issues. We have dealt with everything and continue love one another. It is funny when I hear people say marriage is hard. My reply is life is hard. Life is a fight whether you are married, single, or decline to state. I'm just glad to be fighting with her by my side.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:01 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,035,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
It is funny when I hear people say marriage is hard. My reply is life is hard. Life is a fight whether you are married, single, or decline to state. I'm just glad to be fighting with her by my side.

Totally agree!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:07 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Barcelona. I had been there before, and while living there proved to be very different from vacationing there and my Catalan was always crap, it was fantastic.
Sweet. My sister lives in barcelona and I spent 10 days there last August. love the city and its architecture, people, culture. Not too mention the fact that people seem to party till 7 am every night of the week and the awesome cheap house wines in practicaly every restaurant. Headed back in a few weeks, to see some of the friends i made during last visit. A weekend trip to Costa Brava was also pretty amazing.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:10 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,183,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
where did you meet your significant other? And was it a case of sparks flying, or more similar to a slow flame that eventually got very hot?
A party of a mutual friend. Instant fire. Still burns 20 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships