Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,063,963 times

Advertisements

Met at work. I thought he was a jerk, always walking around w/a cigarette, very cocky. Got to know him better, he asked me out, 23 years later we're still married. I always feel like we're pulling on the oars together, getting through stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 01:10 PM

864 posts, read 1,455,582 times
I love all these stories. Please keep them coming!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:43 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,023,052 times
Met on Match going on 11 years ago. He was 6 hours late to our 1st date! He claims I recoiled with dismay when I first saw him. Within a couple of weeks, we were exclusive, but fighting like cats. But we're together, in love, and married for 6.5 years now, and will be until one of us dies.

Marriage is a difficult adjustment, but worth it, IMO.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:00 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
She came to drink water at the lakeshore once. The crocodile grabbed her rightaway at the booty. She still tastes good but the crocodile keeps his options open.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:55 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
where did you meet your significant other? And was it a case of sparks flying, or more similar to a slow flame that eventually got very hot?
One of my best friend in high school's little sister (though we didn't get together until 12 years later).
But that's how I knew OF her.
We just kind of reconnected over a decade later. Et voila!

My ex prior to that...bowling alley.
My ex prior to that...biochemistry class in college.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:09 PM

344 posts, read 396,283 times
Quote:
where did you meet your significant other? And was it a case of sparks flying, or more similar to a slow flame that eventually got very hot?
He changed a flat tire for me in a parking lot a couple of months ago. That's how we met. He's an older man and I never really thought anything would come from going out with him, but from the beginning I never really thought of him as older. I think more than anything his manner, his personality, made me forget our age difference. He was a very enjoyable guy to be with; smart, polite, and funny, even silly at times. Still, it took five or six dates before I was really convinced the whole thing had a chance get off the ground. Now it is not only off the ground, but gaining altitude.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
We met on match.com and after a couple of emails and phone calls, we agreed to meet for dinner at a local restaurant with great ambience.

The minute our eyes met, sparks flew. Within ten minutes he was feeding me escargot with that little sexy fork, and I was thinking, "If my mother knew what I was thinking, she'd want to spank me!"

We shut down that restaurant, went to a martini bar, shut that down, and drove back to the restaurant parking lot (we had come in separate vehicles). Somewhere along that short drive, my date tried to sneak a kiss at a red light and busted my lip! Anyway, we sat out under the moonlight in my convertible, talking and laughing till 4 am.

When we finally had to go to our separate homes, he suddenly jumped out of my car and said, "Hold on!" and ran to his truck, and came back with a CD. He said ,"Don't look at it, just put it in and hit song number 8!" Then he got back into the car...

...And on came Marvin Gaye, singing, "Let's Get It On..."

After disentangling ourselves from some pretty heavy making out about half an hour later, we went our separate ways...and the next morning he got on a plane and headed off to Africa for six weeks.

We talked and emailed like crazy that whole time. When he got back, he invited me over and fixed me a fantastic meal...and ten months later we were married!

We've been very happily married now for nearly 7 years.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,567 times
We met on this site.

We had been chatting since February but on a friendly level, since I was in a relationship that I knew had to end. It finally broke off in March, and I was finally on my own by May when I moved and started a new job. Because of all of the life changes, I was off the forums for the entire month of May. He however still sent me pm's asking how I was doing. I finally came back on around Memorial Day and invited him out for my birthday the following week.

I was the first person he ever met off the internet. Even though we had seen each others photos on our profiles, we were both pleased in person. Maybe because it wasn't a "date", the conversation flowed effortlessly. Sparks flew and we met for lunch a few days later and dinner a few days after that. We knew we had something when we realized we were spending every other day together right away. We've been inseparable ever since.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 PM

49 posts, read 30,018 times
Quote:

For me, it was sparks right away. I had heard about him from a friend and I couldn't wait to meet him. He, though, seemed to be taking his time. He was still in a relationship (fading with no closure, but he was holding on). I was dating other people too, but I was excited about him.

After two years hearing about him from our matchmaker friend, he finally asked me out on facebook. I felt like a teenager! Three of my girl friends had to know I was going on a date like it was such a big deal... Turns out, he found me attractive but was too shy to make contact.

There were adorable first date mishaps due to his nervousness. I think I played it cool, but deep inside I was praying he would fall for me that night... He did He hasn't stopped seeing me since. We've had issues, one of which was my prev thread that was closed so suddenly but I'm still pretty much in love with him and he says he adores me as always

Oh, btw... Im the type who thinks you should always give yourself time to recover before jumping in a new relationship. Well, I was dating someone at the time (not too serious though) that I immediately (as in the next day) dropped the moment I felt my current bf was gonna ask me out. We went out the day after I broke up with the other guy. Not something I usually do, but for some reason... I really wanted to be with him.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:59 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,780,869 times
We met in the Sci-fi section in a book store. I noticed her immediately of course, out of the corner of my eye, seeing how beautiful she is, and oh my she smelled amazing! I think she was interested as well because it seemed like she was following me down the shelves. We both reached for the last copy of "Cryptonomicon", but I won! However, being the gentleman that I am I told her I would let her have the book if she would agree to have dinner with me And the rest is history. We've been dating like 8 months now, and I still can't wait to see her next!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships