Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:22 PM

49 posts, read 30,016 times

Advertisements

Would you feel less in love if you found out your partner gave so much more to his ex?

Time, presence, love...

Let's say you read his inbox, facebook account, talked to his friends, and other means he didn't intend for you to know.

And all the time you thought he was crazy about you, you realize now that his love for you seems lukewarm compared to how he treated her before.

Would your own feelings change? Would you love and care about him less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 01:33 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
People change. Life changes. His habits with his ex vs you are probably reflective of a number of different circumstances. You'll drive yourself insane comparing yourself, trust me. You should let it go.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:34 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,284,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessme View Post
Would you feel less in love if you found out your partner gave so much more to his ex?

Time, presence, love...

Let's say you read his inbox, facebook account, talked to his friends, and other means he didn't intend for you to know.

And all the time you thought he was crazy about you, you realize now that his love for you seems lukewarm compared to how he treated her before.

If there was some finite way to quantify those things - time, presence, love - then maybe I would feel just slightly less appreciated by my partner, I don't think I would feel less in love. But I don't think there's a way to quantify those things, especially not through facebook or his friends.

Do not project your insecurities onto the relationship. There could be a thousand different reasons why he gave more to his ex - or there could be 0, because it's not true, or it's not intentional by him.

You also can't compare relationships. NOTHING I repeat, NOTHING is the same. Maybe he spent more time with her because he was a loser and had all the free time in the world. Now he's a man with a job and balances his time wisely. Would you hold him accountable for that? I hope not.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
It would be an ugly shock, yes. I don't know how I would take it. I believe that if you go go looking for trouble, trouble is what you find. I snooped a few times and was always sorry. Going to the extremes you mention ... I would have stopped far before getting to that point.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:

Time, presence, love...

Two different issues here. First the main topic. If I knew that the person I was with gave more of his heart to someone else previously, and was not doing so with me, I would question their profession of love. Love is not words, it is actions. To see someone's heart is to observe their actions, not listen to them.

That said, if someone is an ex, and they have chosen to be with you instead, there are reasons for it. Could be many different reasons, many positives. My wife had a prior marriage. I know a LOT about it. I know she has now chosen me, and loves me fully and completely with all her heart as evidence by her actions. So whether she said, wrote, or did something special with her ex at some point in history is irrelevant. It is nothing to be jealous of, worried about, it cause me to think anything less of her over.

Second issue... why are you snooping around your SO's facebook, email, etc? Sounds like there are issues in this relationship besides this person's history. This is not good, and could seriously damage trust levels and the relationship if he found out.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:40 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Social media is not the real world- It is easy to say all sorts of things while you are clicking at the keys...It's fantasy land..this digital world when it comes to love. My son's new wife when he first met her used to go crazy with jealously snooping through his Facebook account...she was obsessed. I had to take her aside and explain- On line connections are not sexual intercourse..they are trivial...I would not worry about what your lover says to his x on Facebook...if he really loved her or she loved him- They would be together- Old habits die hard.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:49 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Thinking someone I like or love a lot does not feel the same in return is the quickest way to make my blood run cold.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:53 PM

49 posts, read 30,016 times
Thank you for your inputs...

I did not intentionally snoop. He left his account open when I needed to use the computer. I tried for about an hour to just log it off... then the cat got the better of me.

In fairness, I am happy to know that there had been no one else since he started dating me. But I realized that his messages to his ex seemed far more in love than his messages to me.

I know he was at a point that he had just moved on from a really bad relationship when he met her. They both were. But he seemed to be all-out with his feelings then... Whereas with me, he is always guarded.

I admit I had loved more (my ex) before, but when I met him... I was so giddy and in love like a teenager and I tried to show him how much. I think now that I loved him more than he did me at the start of our relationship.

When I hear those songs and remember those places from our first month, my heart still skips a beat. And I saw that he was that way with his ex. He was me now with her before.

It just made me sad. I don't know if I can still look at him with the same love as before, knowing I cannot see the same love he had for her when he looks at me.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:00 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
I'm not a believer in snooping without strong suspicion. Why did you even do it?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:
I did not intentionally snoop. He left his account open when I needed to use the computer. I tried for about an hour to just log it off... then the cat got the better of me.
With all due respect, this is a poor excuse. He did not invite you into his past, and you should not have taken it upon yourself to go there. I never heard of it taking an hour to log off of facebook anyway, and if you could not get out of it on his machine, walk away and do something else.

It is possible you are reading into the situation what you want to see. Are there other problems, suspicions, or issues in the relationship? Are you insecure with his past relationships or yourself that you cannot accept he loves you, and are looking for reasons to justify your disbelief of his love for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships