Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 PM

102,266 posts, read 108,293,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
The may seem sappy or weird but I had a random thought one day. When you're married and plan on living your life with your SO, you "usually" plan to be with that person til death do you part. This brought a thought on. When you're both old and spent years together and in love, does it bother you to think of which of you will die first? I feel either occurence would be extremely difficult. On one hand if they die first, you spend the rest of your life without them. On the other hand the thought of leaving your SO to live the rest of their life alone must be painful as well.

So while talking to my wife. We came up with the solution (a joke of course) that once we reach that ripe old age where the question is asked, we would fight to the death. We will get the kilngon battle weapons and fight to the death while the battle music plays. The children must love the winner and the dilemma would be over. So now when we talk about growing old together, we talk about the day we will fight to the death. I know weird for others to have a joke like this but it's our cup of tea.

Wow this was a pointless topic. I guess the question would be if anyone else ever wondered about the eventual outcome of a long time love.
If the hubbie dies first, the way it sometimes works is the wife will stop eating and allow herself to waste away so she can join him without much delay. Or her (or his) time comes naturally soon enough, if they live to a ripe old age. But really, after a long, full life together, both are usually pretty satisfied with the way life went, and after a certain age they're expecting the big event, so it's not a shock like it would be if someone died relatively early of a heart attack or some illness or other. So it's a smoother transition to being alone than if an unexpectedly early death happens. The important thing is to have friends and family around, or lacking that, to move into a geezer community where they can make new friends and have activities to be busy with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,570,315 times
That sounds like an agreement we would come up with. LOL

I tend to hope I go first. I'm not sure I can handle the other way around. If we are lucky, we will go together in old age.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,227,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
The may seem sappy or weird but I had a random thought one day. When you're married and plan on living your life with your SO, you "usually" plan to be with that person til death do you part. This brought a thought on. When you're both old and spent years together and in love, does it bother you to think of which of you will die first? I feel either occurence would be extremely difficult. On one hand if they die first, you spend the rest of your life without them. On the other hand the thought of leaving your SO to live the rest of their life alone must be painful as well.

So while talking to my wife. We came up with the solution (a joke of course) that once we reach that ripe old age where the question is asked, we would fight to the death. We will get the kilngon battle weapons and fight to the death while the battle music plays. The children must love the winner and the dilemma would be over. So now when we talk about growing old together, we talk about the day we will fight to the death. I know weird for others to have a joke like this but it's our cup of tea.

Wow this was a pointless topic. I guess the question would be if anyone else ever wondered about the eventual outcome of a long time love.

If two people are very old and have been together a long time, usually one goes not long after the other.

However, I would not assume that he would spend the rest of his life alone. In fact, I would not want that. If he met someone, fell in love, or just wanted a companion, good for him. Life is short. Just because I'm not there, that doesn't mean he should be lonely. The reverse is true, as well.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I hope I die first. Selfish of me to say.
It may be, but honestly, living through the death of spouse is......... there are no words.

I've already told me SO, I'm living through that again. I just can't.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,581,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Aww a happy marriage.

How cute.

I often say if I'd put a shovel through his head on our wedding night I'd be free by now, instead of still being stalked by the fat ******* 23 years later even though we've been divorced far longer than we were married.
Sounds like your picker was off.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,861,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It may be, but honestly, living through the death of spouse is......... there are no words.

I've already told me SO, I'm living through that again. I just can't.
I'm so sorry.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,359,574 times
I don't think about it at all whichever happens first the other will adapt and move forward I'm sure. Not happy by any menas for a while but forward none the less.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,474,545 times
honestly my wife deserves to live longer then i do. she has more family and a much better opportunity to meet someone else who would love her as much as i do someday.

we both do not fear death. we both have a pretty deep understanding that death is a celebration of life, not of loss.

Last edited by rego00123; 09-18-2012 at 11:22 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 11:21 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,694,162 times
I think it's really sweet and yes I have thought of this and seen it. If the couple really loves each other (sadly many don't) then when one of them dies the other often dies not long after because they are so heartbroken.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:51 AM

629 posts, read 1,234,916 times
" If, for some reason your life functions ceased, my most precious one, I would collapse, I would draw the shades and I would live in the dark. I would never get out of my slar pad or clean myself. My fluids would coagulate, my cone would shrivel, and I would die, miserable and lonely. The stench would be great."

Coneheads put it best. Not just a comedy. Btw this is when Beldar tells his wife what would happen to him if he died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships