Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:55 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,338,192 times

Advertisements

Yes, I would date a nice guy, but the frugal will have to be balanced... I will expect to go to dinner and the movies... and if the frugal guy has an idea of a date that meets his budget we can work it out unless he's too cheap to deal with. I all for compromise if the guy is nice. I don't mind cooking in and watching a movie if we go out too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:03 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,435,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
bottom line is there is no fair in dating. There is no way for people to argue that you should pay half. You do you, and if it works well good for you.

just as a general comment: the more money you have to spend to hold the company of a woman, the less interested she's in you. For the first couple dates never take a girl to dinner. It's planned and forced, unimaginative, it doesn't get you to know them any better, and it just yields to problems like this.
That sounds like tired by-the-book "PUA" nonsense. Little to do with real life.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,286,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Yes, I would date a nice guy, but the frugal will have to be balanced... I will expect to go to dinner and the movies... and if the frugal guy has an idea of a date that meets his budget we can work it out unless he's too cheap to deal with. I all for compromise if the guy is nice. I don't mind cooking in and watching a movie if we go out too...
Would you be willing to pitch in as well?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:19 PM

550 posts, read 985,488 times
It's only been four dates. If she wants him to take her out to dinner, why doesn't your friend suggest a moderately priced place for dinner and see what he says. Say "I heard xyz is a really great restaurant and I've always wanted to go". I wouldn't go expecting gifts on the 4th or 5th date though.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
It's only been four dates. If she wants him to take her out to dinner, why doesn't your friend suggest a moderately priced place for dinner and see what he says. Say "I heard xyz is a really great restaurant and I've always wanted to go". I wouldn't go expecting gifts on the 4th or 5th date though.
Is it that difficult for women to simply pay as well? Instead of hinting or pushing a guy to open his wallet?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:35 PM

601 posts, read 759,493 times
good to set expectations as long as shes able to meet them as well. what was the last thing she bought him? why doesnt she make reservations at an establishment that meets her standards and pay for it if its soooooo important

Old 09-26-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
good to set expectations as long as shes able to meet them as well. what was the last thing she bought him? why doesnt she make reservations at an establishment that meets her standards and pay for it if its soooooo important
Women’s answers to that question vary: a real man shows his interest by spending money on a woman, true gentleman pay for women’s expenses, it is a man’s job to pay, that is how tradition goes, a man shows he will be a good provider by taking care of a woman’s expenses, it is a man’s duty, etc.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:53 PM

601 posts, read 759,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Women’s answers to that question vary: a real man shows his interest by spending money on a woman, true gentleman pay for women’s expenses, it is a man’s job to pay, that is how tradition goes, a man shows he will be a good provider by taking care of a woman’s expenses, it is a man’s duty, etc.
Depends who youre asking. different notion around the world.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:29 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,168,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Women don't express their caring instinct by spending money on a man. I think you have a lot to learn.

Anyway, speaking of cheap men I knew this guy who refused to take a girl to a movie, because he thought it was to expensive. So instead he saw fit to take the girls to his home, which wasn't actually his home, because he lived with his mum, and watch a downloaded movie on the computer in his cramped room, where two people could hardly fit in front of the computer at all. When this guy went to a bar with a girl or with other people he would just sit there without ordering a drink, and if he went to a restaurant, odds are the girl would end up paying. Now that is a cheap guy.
Wow...that's disgusting.

Some things just comes out naturally and no one has to remind you. I don't think we're asking for jewelry nor presents but to once in a while, at least do something impressing (and no, taking a woman to McDonalds on a date isn't impressing). I have no problem if I have to split to the bill or paying the whole meal once but if it's gonna be like this every single time (on every single date) and he doesn't even once surprise me.. not even on Christmas or a special occasion, why should I bother with someone like that?

Ideally it would be good if they switch turns (one time he goes the invitation and another time the woman does it... then other times it's split) instead of treating it like a teammate. I'm not your team nor your buddy.

So if he's going to be frugal then it has to be balanced. If on every single date, all he has is get free coupons and it's the same place then yes it would be a turn-off.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
I have no problem if I have to split to the bill or paying the whole meal once but if it's gonna be like this every single time (on every single date) and he doesn't even once surprise me.. not even on Christmas or a special occasion, why should I bother with someone like that?
You apply this to yourself as well, right? That is, you won’t let a guy pay every single time (since you guys start going out and on), you will surprise him not only in Christmas or his birthday, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships