Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times

Advertisements

Never been this guy before. I know a few guys who are like that, and they can be real pain in the asses because they aren't paying attention. Just locked into there headphones or eyeballing there phone the entire time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM

864 posts, read 1,455,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Might try dating a man instead of a flighty little boy that acts like a little girl...date someone slightly older...If you are 20 and he is 20 - you are actually dating a 15 year old boy....what do you expect out of a guy who's favorite woman is his mummy.?
Amen to that! I'm 19, and I RARELY consider going out with anyone my own age, or even a year or two older. I've found that guys who are 5-7 years older than me *usually* have the maturity level I do, lol.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
Sounds to me like 1) he is not that into you, and 2) he is keeping you on "standby" in case his normal plans fall thru, and he wants something to do.

Ditch that guy. There are much better guys out there who will respect you and your time.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Guys/Girls are like this because many people don't confront them...they just put up w/ it. This gives a self absorbed person positive reinforcement to behave this way. What I'd do is walk away from whatever relationship you've started. Life is too short for this kind of marlarkey.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:15 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
You know a guy who always says we can do this or that sometime, but then it never happens. He'll always say maybe we can go out Tuesday or Friday, but not if I have something I have to do(visit sister, sick relative, work, ect). Or if you do hang out, then he's texting the entire time. One particular guy I know in my life does this all the time. He'll ask to do something and then say he might not be able to do it. I have better things to do with my life than wait for people to decide if they want to see me or not. How can people be so insensitive? So why are guys like this and what do you do about them?
lol here's a story for you to console you a bit:

This beautiful girl began waving all sorts of signs at me at work. So we exchanged numbers. We were planning on going to big bear to snowboard (never done, but she did it all the time) and even stay over night. Amazing for the fact we never went out on a date. I was psyched as I could be, so I pick a date.

Too bad something important came up, but not wanting to lose the opportunity I schedule again even though I knew the timing was risky. I just didn't want to lose her. But the risky side didn't work out, and I had to cancel.

Rinse and repeat 2 more times.

The fifth time I text her and she just ignores me. And we never hanged out ever.

Funny is that if she responded on that fifth time, I'd actually be able to go looking back on it.

People sometime ask why I didn't schedule something smaller just to hang out before doing that weekend trip. The answer: I wanted it to be so special, I didn't want to do anything shorter.

So I wouldn't make much of him canceling, it's probably that he's bad at planning or just unlucky.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM

550 posts, read 984,827 times
Usually I keep my interaction with him limited, but then sometimes he will ask if maybe we can do something if he can and nothing ever happens. It's just annoying now. I just don't know how to respond anymore.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
Quote:
Usually I keep my interaction with him limited, but then sometimes he will ask if maybe we can do something if he can and nothing ever happens. It's just annoying now. I just don't know how to respond anymore.
If he wants to do something, tell him he should plan it out and tell you when and where, and tell him to pick you up, that way you aren't out anything when he declines on the last minute.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,857 times
Quote:
You know a guy who always says we can do this or that sometime, but then it never happens. He'll always say maybe we can go out Tuesday or Friday, but not if I have something I have to do(visit sister, sick relative, work, ect). Or if you do hang out, then he's texting the entire time. One particular guy I know in my life does this all the time. He'll ask to do something and then say he might not be able to do it. I have better things to do with my life than wait for people to decide if they want to see me or not. How can people be so insensitive? So why are guys like this and what do you do about them?
Oh, you've met the Passive-Aggressive Future Faker!

Try this two or three times.

When he says maybe we can go out if I don't have anything to do, don't get stressed or angry--just sweetly tell him that's okay you've have already made other plans (even if your plans include a bag of potato chips, you lying on your couch in a robe with towel turban full of mayonnaise on your head watching Turner Classic Movies. Alone. Hey maybe you'll learn to enjoy solitude and your own company.

And follow through! Send him the message you're going forward without him and see what happens. He's gonna stop all that tentative scheduling, making you Priority Number LAST, and treating you to the glorious gift of his half distracted presence,

Or he'll get out of your way and make room for a man who can not only make a plan but execute one with you. In the meantime, disengage and pull yourself free of that madness. You don't have argue or be nasty about it, but since he won't make you a priority, make yourself one when you're dealing with him.

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
Amen to that! I'm 19, and I RARELY consider going out with anyone my own age, or even a year or two older. I've found that guys who are 5-7 years older than me *usually* have the maturity level I do, lol.
With the advent of public schooling...something new happened...males and females of the same age were put in the same place...so females would go out with their male peers...Females mature quicker....I know in older traditions there was a rule of thumb...My parents were old school Russian Orthodox Christians with values out of the 1800s...The rule was - a woman should be 7 years younger than the man...I think they had it right..My wife was almost 10 year younger...Now that I am old- she is also old...if I had mated with a woman of the same age...she and I would be 62 together...I may as well be with my grand mother.....woman should be slightly younger....sex for instance...a woman's sexual drive if the mates are the same age...will decline slightly before the male...which can in the far future be a problem.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:23 PM

230 posts, read 315,598 times
I can tell you that it is possible to blow him off. I was in a similar situation with a "boy" at work. He only came around for an ego boost and knew I'd give it to him. It was only my attention he was looking for, so I stopped giving it to him. If he tried to speak to me, I kept it short and unfriendly and he got the picture. I stopped going out to lunch with him when he asked, etc. I took away his opportunities to BS me with his fake invitations to go out. We didn't speak anymore and it was great. The frustration was gone and I realized that he was a jerk and no longer had him up on a pedestal.

As for why some ppl do this - you'd likely never know so don't drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out. Some ppl are just that attention-starved and if they sense that you're into them, they'll take advantage of that. Or the reason could be deeper than that, but either way, they're toxic so take control and stay away. If you let this continue, and find out that he's actually dating someone else or playing games with another woman while he's playing you, then you'll kick yourself for not shutting him down sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships