Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Once a week at $150 a pop and having them in your face and disturbing the peace for 5 or 6 hours?

No, thanks.

We keep the house clean enough that it isn't a total sty when they get here. We even do a bit of precleaning (picking up all the stuff to get it out of their way).
you get the house cleaned while at work.

That's just my advice to one of those top 100,000 woman in all the big wide world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
you get the house cleaned while at work.

That's just my advice to one of those top 100,000 woman in all the big wide world
My schedule doesn't work that way.
More often than not, I will be here when they are.
They also have a schedule THEY have to adhere to, other homes they clean.
So I get Wednesdays.
More often than not, I am off on Wednesday.

Not woman, just people...and remember...she's mythical?!!!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
They also have a schedule THEY have to adhere to, other homes they clean.
The more money you flash, the freer their schedule becomes

Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The more money you flash, the freer their schedule becomes
No, thanks. It's galling me to have to pay almost 20 bucks per person per hour for unskilled labor (they would have charged me $150 a week if I had them every week, but since I go every other, they wanted $185). But hey, that's the free market. And they are pretty darn good at what they do. I mean, they get into the cracks and everything. And this is a 4600 square foot house.

My other issue with maids? The will break your stuff. They all do it. So that's another reason I rather they only come every other week. Cuts down on breakage.

Frankly, forget these issues. I just don't get why if someone isn't willing to help with their fair share of the chores, the answer is, "Keep the peace and get a maid." I mean, how is it fair to make someone else pay for your laziness? If it's a mutually agreed-upon decision, that's one thing. But for one partner to say, "Naw, I don't feel like helping you. Let's just get a maid..." That's infuriating.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Frankly, forget these issues. I just don't get why if someone isn't willing to help with their fair share of the chores, the answer is, "Keep the peace and get a maid." I mean, how is it fair to make someone else pay for your laziness? If it's a mutually agreed-upon decision, that's one thing. But for one partner to say, "Naw, I don't feel like helping you. Let's just get a maid..." That's infuriating.
In a relationship where both man and woman contributes about 50-50 to the income I agree. But in the relationships that don't (which are in the majority) I don't agree, the person who contributes less gets down hands and knees and scrubs a mirror into those floors

Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
In a relationship where both man and woman contributes about 50-50 to the income I agree. But in the relationships that don't (which are in the majority) I don't agree, the person who contributes less gets down hands and knees and scrubs a mirror into those floors
Now you're just being inflammatory.

Is it 50-50 their house or isn't it?
So don't they have 50-50 the responsibility for its upkeep?
Who makes how much is irrelevant.

If you're going to keep score like that, you're in for a lifetime of unhappiness.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Now you're just being inflammatory.

Is it 50-50 their house or isn't it?
So don't they have 50-50 the responsibility for its upkeep?
Who makes how much is irrelevant.
Well if one is taking primary responsibility for bringing in the money, the other should take over the primary responsibility for managing the house. It's not so much the house that's 50-50, what is is the "household" and the "household" needs both income and management to thrive. If one isn't holding their own in one area, they redeem in the other.

Quote:
If you're going to keep score like that, you're in for a lifetime of unhappiness.
One thing about me is I have a great built in sense of fairness. And this stubbornness has driven away many women Though none for house chores, every single girl I've been with has assumed her fair share of that. But even though I'm single now, I'm also very happy.

A happy person is happy regardless and an unhappy person is unhappy regardless. One true lesson I learned in my life. For me just walking outside and feeling the sun on my face and realizing I'm still alive makes me happy.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
So if I make 60K at a white collar 9-5, and my husband makes 50K doing construction work and he has overtime, then he should be doing most of the housework?

You seem to feel that money is power, and I can't see how that would equate to a happy healthy marriage.

Personally, in the above situation, I would be doing the housework because my job would not be as physical and tiring, and less hours. But that would be team work, not your model of extortion.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:02 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So if I make 60K at a white collar 9-5, and my husband makes 50K doing construction work and he has overtime, then he should be doing most of the housework?

You seem to feel that money is power, and I can't see how that would equate to a happy healthy marriage.

Personally, in the above situation, I would be doing the housework because my job would not be as physical and tiring, and less hours. But that would be team work, not your model of extortion.

Personally I cannot imagine needing to wield power so much. How about who cares as long as everyone is happy and the work is getting done?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
They don't take all day.

And they vary in length based on the size of everything and the number of people in the house.
First off, I didn't say it takes all day. I've been countering your initial assertion that chores don't take much time at all. Even your own posts counter it. Second, what's happening in various households is not something you can know. The only thing you can know is life of a 20 year old at uni in a small apartment. Assuming to know anything outside your sphere simply displays ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Gawd, don't you love people like that!? They're absolute authorities on something they've only heard about, read about. Tell me all about how best to clean, organize and repair my home and how best to keep up with my yardwork....yet they live in an apartment. Tell me all about how to have the best marriage and how to raise my children, yet they're single and have no children. Yep...Please, oh please, DOOOO share your wisdom with me...cuz li'l ole me can use all of y'all's unending wisdom.
Exactly. The example with my dad specifically involves scientific conferences. In his mind they mostly involve wild, drunken sex parties. I don't know where he got that perverted idea from. It matters not that he's never been to one. I think he may have come across something on TV at one point. It really irks the crap out of me. Every time I go out of town I hear the comments, we argue, and he tells me how it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Are you kidding me?

You can get a house clean for around $80 here, even less if its small.

I was a single mum and I had a cleaner. I got paid much more per hour than I had to pay her so it just made no sense for me to do it myself.
I found a cheap couple on Craigslist to wipe down my MIL apt for $150 for an hour and a half of work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Not kidding. We pay about $150 for each session for our 1100 square foot condo. I know my mom (who lives in NYC) pays more and her apartment is smaller than mine.
Indeed. To have someone come twice a month to give a solid cleaning to my home would easily be $3-400/mo. It will not be easy parting with that money and I don't know if that will be the best thing for us financially when I could be adding it to my 401k or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships