Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:16 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times

Advertisements

Sounds like an excellent argument for having the men to do all the housework. I mean if sharing the work will cause a divorce.... handing over all the house chores is a sacrifice I'm willing to make! Heres the dust cloth, honey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every single article based on a "study" that shows up in the mainstream media needs to be examined according to this doctrine. Wild assumptions are almost always made not only by the reporter, but by the "study's" conclusion so as to prove the point that they are looking for. Particularly when it comes to relationships, there are SO SO SO SO many variables interacting that anyone that says "sharing chores causes 50% more divorces" should be slapped.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Well, you cherry-picked your excerpts, so that's part of the problem.

“In a good relationship people simply don’t know who does what and don’t particularly care. “Unless marriage is a relationship above anything else, then whenever there are tensions or contradictions things come to a head. You have less capacity to forgive and absorb the bad stuff.”
The survey appeared to contradict another recent one across seven countries including Britain that found that men who shouldered a bigger share of domestic responsibilities had a better sense of wellbeing and enjoyed a better work-life balance.

Try looking at data, and not agendas.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,576,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

“In a good relationship people simply don’t know who does what and don’t particularly care. “Unless marriage is a relationship above anything else, then whenever there are tensions or contradictions things come to a head. You have less capacity to forgive and absorb the bad stuff.”
The survey appeared to contradict another recent one across seven countries including Britain that found that men who shouldered a bigger share of domestic responsibilities had a better sense of wellbeing and enjoyed a better work-life balance.

That doesn't contradict anything. In the link, they say the men are happier in the relationship but the shared housework does nothing for women. Thats my point. Sharing housework does absolutely nothing to make a woman desire her husband more.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

That is most apt!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:55 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
I believe it because -

Women who insist on equality in a marriage are the same ones who will hit the road when they don't get it. Passive women who meekly do all the housework are far less likely to walk out on a bad marriage.

Anyway it's largely irrelevant because this is a junk statistic unless you can also show these divorces were caused by the division of housework only.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every single article based on a "study" that shows up in the mainstream media needs to be examined according to this doctrine. Wild assumptions are almost always made not only by the reporter, but by the "study's" conclusion so as to prove the point that they are looking for. Particularly when it comes to relationships, there are SO SO SO SO many variables interacting that anyone that says "sharing chores causes 50% more divorces" should be slapped.

I've worked with polling data, and with properly worded questions you can get any result you want.

That aside, the OP is taking the what the Norway survey said way out of context on it's own.

It's weird, my DH and I don't worry over equality of stuff, it's give and take, and it works out on it's own. Ironically, we err on the other side of the issue... "no, no! I'll get it. You've worked hard today.", "No, YOU'VE worked hard today!"

Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Couples who share the housework are more likely to divorce, study finds - Telegraph

That definitely helps confirm my theory on housework in a married relationship
The only solution is to turn back the clock 50 years.....or marry a foreign girl

Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
When I work out of the home we hire a house cleaner. Solves that problem

Old 10-01-2012, 07:25 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
well the males do half as* cleaning job anyways. (some of them on purpose).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships