Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,224,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
There's really nothing you can do to make yourself taller, so accept it and work with what you've got. That's really all you can do. Some women won't date short guys and that's just the way it is.
I've generally found that, as far as dating goes, if the girl is anywhere from a little taller than me (maybe an inch or so) to shorter than me, it's not an issue. When the girl is significantly taller than me, I get some resistance, but it's nothing crazy. I guess I've been lucky and just go after girls that like short guys? Or they overlook it because I'm awesome....hmmm...

As far as just hooking up, anything goes really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,153,455 times
Well, it happens. You are not growing any more at this point, so might as well let it go.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,283,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwardsettenurb View Post
I'm a girl who is 5'11" and I'm going on a date tomorrow with a guy who is at the most, 5'9".

It's not the end of the world.
Find a girl who isn't shallow and doesn't discard a great person for something that they have no control over. It can be done, I promise.
Just want to point out that it doesn’t make women shallow to prefer men who are taller. Hey, it’s just a preference. It doesn’t make men shallow to have their physical preferences as well.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:22 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,786,145 times
Any man who can't handle that I'm taller than they are isn't much of a man at all. Can't say it's ever been much of an issue, though. It seems to be other women who are obsessed with adhering to this absurd societal norm, not men.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,766,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
You're short. Own it. Never hide it. Don't make the chick feel self-conscious about HER height ("wow - you're tall!").

When guys are self-conscious or deceptive about their height, I feel disrespected. It's like they're assuming I'm shallow.
I wish women would "own" their body type on online dating sites. After a few years of it, "average" means anything but.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 AM

810 posts, read 1,809,143 times
*sigh*, I thought I could resist to replying to yet another height thread, but I'll bite.

I am a 5'6" male, and yes, I have had insecurity problems with my height in the past. That changed once I not only learned how to accept my height, but also how to utilize what I do have to my advantage. Yes, there are some women who won't give you any shot whatsoever because of your height, but they aren't the majority, and they shouldn't be a concern for you; they're not the type of woman you want to date anyway. Most women, while preferring a tall guy, will make exceptions if you wow them with your presentation and poise.

Also, I am heavily into fitness. If you take care of your body, women will notice, even in the absence of height. You can't do anything about your height, but you can always change your body. As an aside, this is why I believe the whole, "We can reject short guys because you reject fat girls" as a moot point, seeing as you can change the latter rather than the former.

The gist of how I got over it was accepting what I couldn't change and improving on what I could change. I can't do anything about my height, but I can practice my speaking skills, work out my body and focus on making myself more confident and less shy. And again, like I said, why would you want to go out with a girl who wouldn't give you the time of day because of your height? They're not worth yours, or anyone's, attention.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
*sigh*, I thought I could resist to replying to yet another height thread, but I'll bite.

I am a 5'6" male, and yes, I have had insecurity problems with my height in the past. That changed once I not only learned how to accept my height, but also how to utilize what I do have to my advantage. Yes, there are some women who won't give you any shot whatsoever because of your height, but they aren't the majority, and they shouldn't be a concern for you; they're not the type of woman you want to date anyway. Most women, while preferring a tall guy, will make exceptions if you wow them with your presentation and poise.

Also, I am heavily into fitness. If you take care of your body, women will notice, even in the absence of height. You can't do anything about your height, but you can always change your body. As an aside, this is why I believe the whole, "We can reject short guys because you reject fat girls" as a moot point, seeing as you can change the latter rather than the former.

The gist of how I got over it was accepting what I couldn't change and improving on what I could change. I can't do anything about my height, but I can practice my speaking skills, work out my body and focus on making myself more confident and less shy. And again, like I said, why would you want to go out with a girl who wouldn't give you the time of day because of your height? They're not worth yours, or anyone's, attention.
YES! A former Bitter Bus rider who managed to hop off the bus

GOOD FOR YOU, congrats on overcoming your biggest obstacle - yourself

Old 10-02-2012, 12:14 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,807,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You come to the realization that people aren't going to want to date you because of something you can't change.

Since you can't change it, you move on and focus on yourself and quit worrying about it.

Easy peasy.
And I came to the realization that those women are not worthy of me from the start if they discard me for being 5'5" and nothing else. Hey, no sweat off my back.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,387,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I wish women would "own" their body type on online dating sites. After a few years of it, "average" means anything but.
I openly state that I'm packing some extra pounds. Not a lot, not in the realm of obese or plus-size, but nobody's gonna call me thin. Why hide what they'll find out literally at first sight or when they look at my photos?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,122,617 times
Short men should try to date short women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships