Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

You've probably all seen it in old movies. Man and woman are fighting, the man might even slap her around or shake her, grab her roughly and then they'll embrace and kiss, or more. I KNOW this is Hollywood, but they wouldn't present it this way if it wasn't at least based in some truth.

Is this a generational thing, or something innate in male-female relationships that people just don't want to admit because it's not PC?

That sometimes 'being rough' with a women, or very aggressive, works on certain women some of the time?

Of course I'd never hit a woman or abuse her, not am I asking how to go about roughing up a women or manhandling her, but I was always curious as to how these women basically fell at the man's feet after being treated this way. Is there something in his masculine assertiveness/energy that excites them sexually?

Like that old myth that women just want to be raped. It seems a generational thing. In the past violence against women was more tolerated, and some women even LIKED to be slapped around a bit (a small minority perhaps). Of course i'm not saying that was okay, but that just seems how it was. Now there's a more zero tolerance approach towards that sort of thing.

What do you think? Just a male fantasy or is there some truth in it? Remember the audiences for a lot of these old romances were female so it must in some way be appealing to something in female psychology.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:30 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Fantasy. No one liked being hurt. Remember that it was tv anyways

Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
lol wut?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Fantasy. No one liked being hurt. Remember that it was tv anyways
It's a common idea that if you ignore a woman/treat her like crap she'll like you more. I never really believed it, but I'm wondering if it's related to that. Perhaps a male fantasy based on, dare I say, a kernel of truth?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Times change.

When I was a kid there was no such thing as car seats.

Heck, we STOOD UP on the backseat while dad drove down the road.

Today, he could get a big ticket for that, along with a charge of child endangerment.

"Being rough" with women is no longer acceptable in any way shape or form. It wasn't sexy then, though Hollywood made it look so, and it's not sexy now.

Sorry to disappoint you!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Having watched quite a few old movies and television shows I've noticed this as well, and thought it was kind of strange. Though I guess maybe it has something to do with an attraction to strong, dominant men? I'm guessing it's as much a generational thing as anything else. Still, I wouldn't have guessed that so many women back in the day would have found such a thing irresistible, not enough to explain how common it is in old movies anyway. But maybe it was common?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
lol wut?
Lol, too academic for you?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:34 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
No woman wants to be hit or raped. However yes love gets heated with arguments with desire that men have to kiss the woman to shut her up.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Having watched quite a few old movies and television shows I've noticed this as well, and thought it was kind of strange. Though I guess maybe it has something to do with an attraction to strong, dominant men? I'm guessing it's as much a generational thing as anything else. Still, I wouldn't have guessed that so many women back in the day would have found such a thing irresistible, not enough to explain how common it is in old movies anyway. But maybe it was common?
It seems common enough. There's this suggestion that the way to placate an uppity or hysterical woman was to basically literally to 'shake some sense' into her since, well, women were creatures controlled by their emotions (sarcasm here just in case). Perhaps it was a combination of a sort of almost paternal dampening, a, 'I'm in control now, I may have to be rough on you but it's for you own good and because I love you.' Modern women in 2012 wouldn't see that they'd only see the 'he's being violent there's gonna be hell to pay!'

Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You've probably all seen it in old movies. Man and woman are fighting, the man might even slap her around or shake her, grab her roughly and then they'll embrace and kiss, or more. I KNOW this is Hollywood, but they wouldn't present it this way if it wasn't at least based in some truth.

Is this a generational thing, or something innate in male-female relationships that people just don't want to admit because it's not PC?

That sometimes 'being rough' with a women, or very aggressive, works on certain women some of the time?

Of course I'd never hit a woman or abuse her, not am I asking how to go about roughing up a women or manhandling her, but I was always curious as to how these women basically fell at the man's feet after being treated this way. Is there something in his masculine assertiveness/energy that excites them sexually?

Like that old myth that women just want to be raped. It seems a generational thing. In the past violence against women was more tolerated, and some women even LIKED to be slapped around a bit (a small minority perhaps). Of course i'm not saying that was okay, but that just seems how it was. Now there's a more zero tolerance approach towards that sort of thing.

What do you think? Just a male fantasy or is there some truth in it? Remember the audiences for a lot of these old romances were female so it must in some way be appealing to something in female psychology.
Many women (especially the more attractive, feminine ones) tend to have fantasies that make us guys wet our pants in horror. Some really crazy stuff. They won't admit to it, however, because, like you said, it's not PC and wouldn't reflect favorably on them.

Being on the aggressive side is always a plus, but you need to have some finesse when doing it. You have to read the situation very closely or it could result in legal action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships