Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 AM

8 posts, read 8,522 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the perspective. We've had our issues and I'm definitely in the wrong here and I am glad I talked to you guys so that I can start moving us toward a healthier level.

Especially thanks to cpg35223 for giving me a practical way to understand what I did not.

Last edited by L4562; 01-24-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,477,498 times
OCD much? I think many people have seen tie clips even though they are seldom worn - same with ties. Their purpose is pretty clear, so I'd say she's probably seen a family member wear one - or even ANY man who's worn one correctly - or simply figured it out.

I think pretty much any guy who's ever worn a tie clip knows how to wear it - you are the anomaly.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM

19,728 posts, read 20,271,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
OCD much?
lol

Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM

708 posts, read 879,215 times
I'm assuming tie clips have an open side...that side faces to the right?

Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 AM

8 posts, read 8,522 times
Quote:
OCD much? I think many people have seen tie clips even though they are seldom worn - same with ties. Their purpose is pretty clear, so I'd say she's probably seen a family member wear one - or even ANY man who's worn one correctly - or simply figured it out.

I think pretty much any guy who's ever worn a tie clip knows how to wear it - you are the anomaly.
Maybe in some places, but where I live I don't think so. And she grew up in the country where they don't wear ties and her family is mostly construction workers.

She was just so sure, and so precise in her reasoning.

Also, I asked tons of people in the office and most guys don't even know. I think a lot of guys do it intuitively since most are right handed, I am left.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,296,429 times
I have no idea which side a tie clip should be clipped! So it was not me!

So far as I am concerned, if you are left-handed, then on the left. Right-handed, then on the right. Right-handed and holding something in your right hand while placing the clip on, then on the left, etc.

Also I don't care to be around people like that. They also have a fit if you are wearing your hat while eating, which side a fork is on, not eating with your hands, etc.

I prefer to be around people who don't worry about such things - more relaxing!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,477,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
I'm assuming tie clips have an open side...that side faces to the right?
No, to the left when used correctly. Men's shirts have buttons on the right, women's on the left. On men's shirts, the left side overlaps the right when buttoned, so there is an edge there which the tie clip slides over, along with the tie, to hold the tie in place. There are several kinds of tie clip - slide on (friction), spring clip, and tie tack (a pin that goes through the tie, with a small bar that fits in a button hole).

Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM

936 posts, read 2,062,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4562 View Post
I've been with this girl for about a year and a half. At the end of work I had my girlfriend come over to the office to have office sex. While we are talking before we do anything she asks me why my tie clip is on the wrong side. I had it on the left, it's supposed to be on the right. I found out a few days later she was right and you have to clip it on the right so you can clip it into your shirt. So a week or so later, it starts bothering me. How did she know that if I didn't know that? So I asked her. She texted me that she looked at her dress and saw the buttons. Well when did she do that? She was wearing a wife beater and a short sleeved over shirt that had buttons that was open. I don't know what to do. And lately she's been critiquing a lot about me but she says she's just stressed out. Worst case she was flirting or even cheated with someone who told her, best case she found out from any old friend or family member who told her, or maybe even she just figured it out intuitively?

I've asked many people, and nobody knows which side the tie clip is supposed to go on except for my friend who wears tie clips that I work with. And no, he wouldn't be the culprit.

Only a certain type of guy knows that the tie clip goes on the right. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Looked at her dress and saw the buttons just seems so weak to me.

Please, advice, anything, help.
You're wrong. You're so wrong that you have no idea how wrong you are.

Which side a tie clip goes on is both commonly known and easy to figure out on the fly. The same is true about the buttons on men's vs. women's clothing. She figured it out because she's observant and iltelligent--those are good things.

Your jealousy is going to ruin the good thing you have going.

And you owe her an apology.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 AM

708 posts, read 879,215 times
Quote:
No, to the left when used correctly. Men's shirts have buttons on the right, women's on the left. On men's shirts, the left side overlaps the right when buttoned, so there is an edge there which the tie clip slides over, along with the tie, to hold the tie in place. There are several kinds of tie clip - slide on (friction), spring clip, and tie tack (a pin that goes through the tie, with a small bar that fits in a button hole).
Thanks for explaining it.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM

3,927 posts, read 6,845,033 times
I am super super confused. The Original Post confused the hell out of me and then the replies confused me more.

Are we really taking him seriously? Are we really discussing tie clips and what side they go on? Does he think she was cheating because she knew how a tie clip is applied?

I assumed he was just trolling and this thread was something to be ignored. Now I am not sure if I am just confused out my mind or what...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships