Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:37 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,358,805 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever created a thread on the intimate relationships forum, in which you asked a question pertaining to the whereabouts/thought processes, and behavors of others, in which posters attempted to explain to you your thought processes and behaviors, when you hadn't asked anyone to try to understand you, and been assisted by such comments?

Granted, you can learn about yourself through comparing yourself to others, but I'm more referring to the probable inaccuracy of stranger A on the internet, trying to explain to stranger B - how stranger B's specific thought processes work...stranger A trying to judge motivations and such of stranger B rather than explaining stranger A's own experiences, or experiences of others stranger A has known. Has anyone ever found these types of responses to be accurate?

Last edited by Clintone; 10-14-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,757,846 times
No. What was the question again?

Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 AM

52,316 posts, read 52,777,716 times
You have a term paper due???

Old 10-14-2012, 11:48 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
I get what you're saying.

Sometimes multiple posts from people help us "know" them to a limited extent, and when an obvious problem (meta) in how they deal with people is screaming to be dealt with, I'm gonna mention it.

Hopefully they will learn from it.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:48 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,475,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What they said plus wt_, I haven't had my cheerios yet?

Old 10-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
No. What was the question again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
What they said plus wt_, I haven't had my cheerios yet?
You people are confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I get what you're saying.

Sometimes multiple posts from people help us "know" them to a limited extent, and when an obvious problem (meta) in how they deal with people is screaming to be dealt with, I'm gonna mention it.

Hopefully they will learn from it.
makes sense

Old 10-14-2012, 12:07 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,475,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
You people are confusing.

makes sense

Now that I get.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:13 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,396,188 times
I don't see a problem. I've often seen people on here verbalize things that I was thinking, but didn't have words for.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:51 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,154,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't see a problem. I've often seen people on here verbalize things that I was thinking, but didn't have words for.
Same here.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Same here.
I see an endless stream of comments resulting in my thoughts becomming something like: How can they know that? I've known people like they're talking about, who aren't like that at all. If someone has a common personality, thought process, or life situation, why would they post about it anyway? Therefore, most problems probably posted about are likely the unusual ones which most people's experiences are not applicable for...and if something sounds unlikely, it could very well be true nonetheless.

I remember a thread where a guy was nervous about being around a homosexual friend, supposedly because he hit a homosexual man who made a move on him in the supermarket. People didn't believe his motives. I remember thinking: If you're not going to believe part of what an OP writes, why believe any of it? Why not just not comment at all?

There was another thread in which a woman was wondering how to get male friends. Posters were worrying about whether or not her urge for male friends was natural. Who cares and why, particularly because she never asked whether or not what she wanted was natural?

There seems to be lots of these types of examples of people making comments, not asked for, probably coming from people who, while they might be wise, probably don't know the person they're commenting on the personality of better than that person knows his or herself.

I'd view this as potentialy extremely insulting, if the views stated and not asked for are negative, or if there's disbelief about what the OP says.

There are, of course the crazies who somebody should say something about...but a lot of posters aren't crazy.

Last edited by Clintone; 10-14-2012 at 11:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships