Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,107,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If it happens to her that often, she may feel like she's being viewed as a piece of meat. It's not flattering to feel that the sum of who you are is reduced solely to how you look on the outside.
Right, because all these men are looking for just sex, and the're only attracted to you for your looks, and you know these things for facts.
You do realize that trying to get a relationship for a man is the same as any other hitting on women, you have to hit on her in the first place?
Though I'll grant you that it just feels like you're saying after a while. As long as you understand that's just a feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 AM

29,803 posts, read 34,621,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I don't understand how some women are harassed in such a way and so often? I've never experienced anything remotely close to that. (Not that I necessarily want to.)

Man, whenever these posts on being hit on come up, I just want to hide my face into my pillow and cry.
It might just have to do with location or logistics. A woman who lives in the suburbs and drives everywhere in her own car might not get hit on or harassed as much as a woman who lives in the city and who walks and takes public transportation often. The first woman is a little more isolated from such behavior, while the latter is exposed to more opportunities for it. A woman who works in a customer service job is going to get hit on more than a woman in a private office, etc.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 10-16-2012 at 10:45 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 AM

11,426 posts, read 9,356,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes, men are rude...and the men who do this, are ignorant, and disrespectful, if they don't respect themselves, they will never respect you...and some of them, the more you reject them, the more rude they become.
You left out "some."

I'm not like that and I never hung out with anyone like that either. It is very disrespectful.

I'm quite shocked at what has been said by women in this topic so far. I had no idea how bad of a problem this may be.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,175,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It might just have to do with location or logistics. A woman who lives in the suburbs and drives everywhere in her own car might not get hit on or harassed as much as a woman who lives in the city and who walks and takes public transportation often. The first woman is a little more isolated from such behavior, while the latter is exposed to more opportunities for it.
Agreed. It has to do with socio-economic status as well. This then in turn affect your location or access to transportation. The suburban mom you described probably is middle class, doesn't have to associate with anyone she doesn't want to, can afford to live in a bubble.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,252,527 times
It's annoying whether I'm in a relationship or not. Sometimes a woman just wants to select some oranges in peace.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM

11,426 posts, read 9,356,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Starting up conversation with obvious intent to ask out.

I have no issues with talking to strangers and just being friendly.

Your previous post, however, has cemented my impression that most men won't talk to a woman unless they want inside her pants. Thanks.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 AM

410 posts, read 516,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
My GF gets hit on pretty regularly. 2-3 times a week on average. She says she would rather it not happen at all.
I find this statement very hard to believe.

For women that get hit on regularly and in a relationship or have been, be honest, would you seriously say you would rather not be hit on at all?
you don't know what you got till its gone..........
Women that enjoy compliments from other men usually aren't getting complimented enough from their own partners.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,191,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
Hitting on you means that someone is making it clear that they find you sexually desirable would like to get with you.

A compliment is fine.

But a lot of men are just plain offensive. I get hit on quite often, and frankly, I wish it would stop. Some men ogle you like you're nothing but a piece of meat. Sometimes they'll start to rub their d***s or masturbate while looking at you. They'll say sexually explicit things loud enough for you to hear. Or they'll come right up to you and say them.

The comments below are some of the more offensive ones that come to mind:

"I want a piece of that a**."
"I want to lick you."
"Want to go to a hotel with me?"
"Do you like to do it?"
"Mmmm. Get down tonight!"
"Give me a chance and I will rock your world so hard you won't be able to walk."

Then when you rudely reject them, they get all offended and want to tell you off.
Eww... people really say these things?

Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,257,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Eww... people really say these things?
Apparently, these CD folks make it all sound too commonplace.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 AM

11,836 posts, read 12,115,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Right, because all these men are looking for just sex, and the're only attracted to you for your looks, and you know these things for facts.
You do realize that trying to get a relationship for a man is the same as any other hitting on women, you have to hit on her in the first place?
Though I'll grant you that it just feels like you're saying after a while. As long as you understand that's just a feeling.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

The OP's GF doesn't like being hit on, it doesn't make her feel good. Many other women here have attested to the same feeling. And our feelings are what we have to go on, so I'm not sure what you're arguing against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships