Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:51 PM

708 posts, read 878,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
The older I get it seems the harder it is to meet women that aren't crazy. It always starts out good. You start getting to know the woman a little better thinking that you've finally met someone without issues and then WAMMO! She get's a little more comfortable and her true colors shine. You find yourself saying " and there it is ". I've read that as many as 1 in 4 middle aged women are now on antidepressants. Do you think that there has always been a significant amount of women with emotional problems like we see today or is it that the stressful society we've created for ourselves that's the problem? I know some guys with issues that seem to have difficulty keeping it together at times but It seems that it's the majority of women these days that can't handle the daily stresses of society without constantly breaking down. Are the over 30 women out there that are taken not as crazy or is it that the men they're with are just better at dealing with their issues.?
You do realize that a person that might take antidepressants doesn't necessarily present as "emotionally unstable". Often these people might have a somewhat cool or flat demeanor to the outside world.

There is also a big difference in comparing a someone who might be feeling a little overwhelmed, but yet still functions very well in their career...to someone who cannot function at all in everyday life. I've had experience with the second group through observation during school experiences..these groups were equally represented by each gender.

Men typically choose to see their physician less in general. They might not be able to hide their sky high cholesterol or blood pressure, but they have either are unwilling or unable to have a conversation about depression.

I don't see women as "constantly" breaking down any more than men. I don't have the statistics here, but I'd guess that the police are coming to our high schools far more often to deal with "unstable males" than females. Looking at people that are of adolescent to college age, it seems that males have much more trouble managing the expression of their anger. It also seems like younger males are much more likely to be given drugs like Risperdal(an antipsychotic). I personally don't agree with that trend.

Just because someone doesn't have a diagnosis, doesn't mean they aren't "emotionally unstable". Alcohol abuse, sexual addiction and engaging in other risky behaviors are all forms of self medicating that might be masking another issue.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Unstable may be the wrong word. Lets just say women tend to have a larger range on their emotional scale than men.

And as far as Ruth's equating murder with being emotional, that's just silly. Murder isn't necessarily committed because of emotions. Some people commit murder with very little emotion. Watch the interviews of the "Iceman", a mob hit man who murdered at least 100 people, for profit, or to protect himself. Yes, he did kill some people because they made him mad, but many were just killed for money. "Its business".
You are equating the outer display of emotions with what the person feels internally...they aren't the same.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
You do realize that a person that might take antidepressants doesn't necessarily present as "emotionally unstable".
Alcohol abuse,
The only people I know who take antidepressants are guys.
Good point. I was just about to start a thread asking why guys suppress their healthy emotions, like grief, sadness, and drown their sorrows or stress with alcohol.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 PM

One more thought, but the suicide rates for males is significantly higher, than it is for females, for all age groups.

That suggests to me there is a lot of untreated mental illness for males? Why is that? Certainly threads like this don't help, where we are presenting the notion that only women are "emotionally unstable" to the point they need antidepressants.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
It's true. Those are the numbers. They are scary. I think american culture is the reason why they are so crazy. There are women who are crazy in other cultures, but not at this level. My theory is that a lot of women want to have it all but can't handle the pressure so they breakdown. That's why the women with the least are the happiest, while those with the most are the unhappiest.
1. Where's your source?
2. Are you saying that men don't take anti-depressants and/or are not crazy.
3. Is this just another thread to denigrate women because they don't want you.
4. Far be it for most men to look at themselves and think that they might be the source of their problems.
After all, women are *******, crazy or whores. Right?
5. Do these men look at their mothers, wives, sisters and daughters this way?

Quote:
Twice As Many Women Than Men Take Antidepressants ! | Health Resource
I'm sure some people see it as a sign of weakness that women get help.
Perhaps men should be getting help and aren't, hence the anger issues against women.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
1. Where's your source?
2. Are you saying that men don't take anti-depressants and/or are not crazy.
3. Is this just another thread to denigrate women because they don't want you.
4. Far be it for most men to look at themselves and think that they might be the source of their problems.
After all, women are *******, crazy or whores. Right?
5. Do these men look at their mothers, wives, sisters and daughters this way?
As to point 5, I do think the ones who habitually start these threads must have less than pleasant relationships with the females in their lives. They seem to have a very one dimensional view of women.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could the OP clarify the thread topic, please? Is it about "so many women [being] emotionally unstable these days" (if so, please provide a credible source for this "fact" you present), or is it about women expressing normal, healthy emotions, like joy at a wedding or grief at a funeral? President Gerald Ford cried publicly once, does that count as "emotionally unstable"?

OP, why do you seem to run into emotionally unstable/"crazy" women? There are LOTS of normal, balanced, happy women out there. Why are you making unhealthy choices for yourself?

I don't date these women more than once or twice as I can spot them a mile away at this point in my life. It just blows me away how many of them there are once you start dating in the over 30 crowd. It's Literally mind boggling. I think the younger ones are just as nuts but the ones that aren't bonkers get scooped up before they ever reach their 30's. What you end up with is a large amount of over 30 women with no kids that have never been married who are an absolute wreck emotionally. Almost every single middle aged guy on this thread that's in the dating game knows exactly what I'm talking about.

examples of craziness

.....crying during sex (I was raped 25 years ago)
......crying after a bad day at work (once a week or more)
......crying after two drinks (and not knowing what they're crying about)
......crying over a meaningless insult from a stranger (learn how to drive you idiot)
......crying about something sad from there past out of nowhere (did you have any pets as a kid)
......crying because you mentioned your ex inadvertently in a conversation (I used to date a girl that hated Mexican food)
.......crying because they're super self conscious about their looks (I liked the blue dress better)

These types of woman will cause you to live your life walking on egg shells because they're made of glass.

They make up about half of all single women

Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
As to point 5, I do think the ones who habitually start these threads must have less than pleasant relationships with the females in their lives. They seem to have a very one dimensional view of women.
The curious thing is that even reasonable guys here are now saying there's too much "man-hating" going on on the forum. Yet somehow, they overlook the fact that every 1 or 2 threads in 5 are about "women are whales", "why do women let themselves go?", "women are over the hill at 26", "why are women mean and controlling?", "Why don't women provide sex more casually?", "why are women so emotional?", "Why do I have to pay for dates?", "Why don't women like short guys?", etc. It's a constant barrage that C-D women have to respond to.

But the men seem to take for granted that there are no threads on: "Why are men arrogant jerks?", "Why do men dress like slobs and show their b*tt crack?", "Why do men think they're God's gift to women?", "Why do men think they have to be 'bad boys' in order to attract women?", "Why do men let themselves go?", "Why are men jealous and controlling, or abusive?", "Why aren't men interested in marriage?", "Why are men so immature?", etc.

Has anyone noticed this?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
We need more videos.

[and cowbell]

Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I don't date these women more than once or twice as I can spot them a mile away at this point in my life. It just blows me away how many of them there are once you start dating in the over 30 crowd. It's Literally mind boggling. I think the younger ones are just as nuts but the ones that aren't bonkers get scooped up before they ever reach their 30's. What you end up with is a large amount of over 30 women with no kids that have never been married who are an absolute wreck emotionally. Almost every single middle aged guy on this thread that's in the dating game knows exactly what I'm talking about.

examples of craziness

.....crying during sex (I was raped 25 years ago)
......crying after a bad day at work (once a week or more)
......crying after two drinks (and not knowing what they're crying about)
......crying over a meaningless insult from a stranger (learn how to drive you idiot)
......crying about something sad from there past out of nowhere (did you have any pets as a kid)
......crying because you mentioned your ex inadvertently in a conversation (I used to date a girl that hated Mexican food)
.......crying because they're super self conscious about their looks (I liked the blue dress better)

These types of woman will cause you to live your life walking on egg shells because they're made of glass.

They make up about half of all single women
This ^^^ is just a variation of the "women are undatable or unattractive after 26/30/whatever" theme.

You're complaining about someone who suffered rape? Really?? Uh...didja ever think to address your complaint to the guy who raped her?
Who cries after a bad day at work? Where do you find these types??
Let me tell you about men crying after a couple of drinks. Can anyone explain that phenomenon? I'd like to understand it.

IDK, OP. All I can say is, you really know how to pick 'em. Either that, or you're doing something that drives them to tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships