Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:28 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,293,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It is a pretty common opinion that single folks lower their expectations as they get older. Do you find this to be true among those you know and yourselves?
In some sense, yes, in others, no. If you are older, single-mother or single-father, and working a middle of the road job, then I can see you settling or being comfortable single. The same goes for the successful as well. I have more successful friends, who remain single, because they can do everything they need done on their own.

Women have become more independant than our Mother's ever were. You have women that can say, "I don't need a man" and at times I can believe it. Dating is so much harder than it was 30 years ago, because the dating roles have reversed. Also, with technology, you can see 100's of potential males or females at the click of your mouse. You can potentially go on 100 dates in 10 minutes. Less women are looking for a sole provider and have leveled the playing field. Now, you have more female Doctors, Lawyers, CEOs, Accountants, and so on.....

I say for today's times, a guy has to bring more to the table, than he did 30 years ago. Fellas, women can do a lot for themselves today. How can you set yourself apart, to where you can show her that she needs you in her life? The same goes for you ladies as well. Men can do more too. Men now cook and clean, and do a decent job at it too. I know this sounds very barbaric and misogynistic, but this is how I see life through my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,425,934 times
I know my expectations don't change.

When you date enough and find what fits, what doesn't, you know sooner or later what works, what doesn't.

I like situations where you are surprised when you weren't expecting or seeking, but find someone interesting on the whim!

It's not about having higher expectations, it's about knowing what you want, and knowing when you find it. A.k.a. being true to yourself.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:45 PM

20 posts, read 71,485 times
I wouldn't say expectations are higher, but that they change. I was one of those (girls) that grew up watching princess movies so my list of expecations was high. This sounds very cliche, but as I got older and experienced more life experiences, I've learned that life and people are not near perfect at all, but that we all must make a choice to make exceptions, and whether or not we want to keep trying to make that relationship work. Also, the older I've gotten, I've placed less emphasis on looks, but character. I regret overlooking all those men in my early life that really liked me, were much more friendlier than the attractive ones, but weren't as attractive themselves. These days, I am actually thankful to find imperfections in a man I admire because I know I am not perfect either, and those imperfections just makes him more attractive to me.

Last edited by onedirection; 10-19-2012 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: /

Old 10-19-2012, 02:59 PM

496 posts, read 942,235 times
I have a difficult time answering this - because it's a little mixed. Personally, I've found that the standards of what I will accept in terms of how I'm treated got a lot higher as I got older - and like you said in another thread, had more experience. At the same time, I find myself compromising in ways that I never expected. So, concurrently, while my standards in many ways are higher, I am also less selfish, more giving, more accepting.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:03 PM

11,817 posts, read 12,068,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
I have a difficult time answering this - because it's a little mixed. Personally, I've found that the standards of what I will accept in terms of how I'm treated got a lot higher as I got older - and like you said in another thread, had more experience. At the same time, I find myself compromising in ways that I never expected. So, concurrently, while my standards in many ways are higher, I am also less selfish, more giving, more accepting.
Yes!! Not only does what you want change, but who you are has changed as well. My SO and I were talking about this the other night, being more selective at this age, but also very much "this is who I am" and being accepting of who the other person is, exactly as they are.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:29 PM

12,970 posts, read 13,710,975 times
I think when you are older and looking for love the circumstances of your past choices come to bear on your decisions. As a young person you have every right to expect that the person you choose meets or exceeds your expectations in many areas. As we get older ,more experienced, and most importantly we know ourselves better, we tend to put a premium on certain traits we are looking for. For instance if you have been cheated on you will place higher expectations on loyalty and honestly rather than ;tall dark and handsome, a great dancer, good provider, and good conversationalists.
Like some posters have suggested yes and no. We will place higher expectations on the things our past choices have been lacking in and lower expectations on things we thought would make us happy but didn't.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:32 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times
I would say they get higher.
Most of the single people I know in their 40s+ would rather stay single than put up with most of the people available to date.
Most of the people I know in their 20s will date whatever/whoever just to try stuff out, etc.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 PM

64 posts, read 111,422 times
I believe older people get more picky since hey know what they want and won't accept anything else.

Life is to short to lower your expectations and standards.

I am an older person and I endorse this message.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:06 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,905,232 times
in my own experience i've met extremes. women that wouldn't settle for anything less than Mr. Absolutely Perfect and then women who would basically hook up with the first guy that took them out on a date.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 PM

861 posts, read 1,251,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It is a pretty common opinion that single folks lower their expectations as they get older. Do you find this to be true among those you know and yourselves?
I've changed my expectations. If put on scale with earlier expectations, I'd say they're higher now- because I am now wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships