Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:23 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
He feels bad for having cheated on her but he probably had reasons for it. Back then people married out of obligation and social pressure. She was the official wife, he knocked her up a few times to produce children and then he went to women who really knew how to please him. Can't blame the old man.

Give him your support though.

I can't see why, at least he was being honest with everybody.
In this case it isn't a matter of "honesty", it was the impression left upon someone that may not understand why Grand dad is hanging with a woman other than his Grand Mother. If he wanted to be a douche (and being an honest douche is still being a douche), fine but leave the grand kids out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 04:31 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
In this case it isn't a matter of "honesty", it was the impression left upon someone that may not understand why Grand dad is hanging with a woman other than his Grand Mother. If he wanted to be a douche (and being an honest douche is still being a douche), fine but leave the grand kids out of it.
He wasn't a douche, his wife knew about it all the time. There wouldn't be any impression left on a child other than grandad having some fun.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:47 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,138 times
Quote:
He wasn't a douche, his wife knew about it all the time. There wouldn't be any impression left on a child other than grandad having some fun.
LOL! Keep trolling....

Old 10-29-2012, 04:48 PM

The kid could make some questions but it would go as far as that. There would nothing wrong with it.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 AM

23 posts, read 27,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Just because he liked having different women (mistresses) in his life does not mean he couldn't love your Grandmother...maybe he just couldn't resist, and since your Grandma was obviously a forgiving and tolerant woman, he loved her even more...There are no "rules" to loving someone deeply. I see no hipocracy in his devastation at the loss of a women he loved and shared so much with...She was probably his "rock", his stability in life, constant, and reliable, his mourning is understandable.
My grandmother was gorgeous when she was younger and kept looking great until later in life. I've seen pictures of her from the 50s and she looked like an 'It Girl'. It was not like he had a hideous wife.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 AM

23 posts, read 27,838 times
Quote:
She could have left. And she didn't.
A religious woman with 3 young sons seeking a divorce 40 or 50 years ago? Don't think so.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMQC View Post
A religious woman with 3 young sons seeking a divorce 40 or 50 years ago? Don't think so.
Still, there was always that option, no matter what. Did she try to compete with your grandafther's mistresses? LOL

Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
My grandmother was gorgeous when she was younger and kept looking great until later in life. I've seen pictures of her from the 50s and she looked like an 'It Girl'. It was not like he had a hideous wife.
Just a pity she was terrible in bed. The number of times she gave him sex was probably not much higher than the 3 sons they had.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 PM

507 posts, read 514,139 times
Quote:
My grandparents were married for 54 years. For decades my grandfather had a revolving door of mistresses. He always had an eye for pretty women and wouldn't let the best ones escape (he was extremely good looking when he was younger and up to his 50s). He was a very hard worker, very responsible when it came to the children (even though he was mostly absent) and never mistreated my grandmother. She was in charge at home and he complied. Her word was law.

My grandmother always knew but stayed in her position as a faithful and dedicated wife and mother. She didn't work and was completely dependent on him. She was also very religious and came from an ultraconservative family, so there was no choice but to keep the marriage.

Even as kid I remember sometimes seeing my grandfather in the car with much younger women.

She died just over a year ago from breast cancer. The other day I noticed that my grandfather, always a very arrogant, masculine, full of himself type of guy, now has a picture of her on his desk in the studio. He still doesn't allow anyone to sit in her place at the table.

At her funeral, I couldn't believe when I saw him washed in tears, totally devastated. I mean, this sounds cruel, but now he can have all the women he wants (sure he's old but he has the money). Why be such an hipocrite in the end?
No disrespect to your grandfather but he did mistreat your grandmother with the revolving door of mistresses. This is the old school so I respect that. Bottom line, when you are dealing with the old generation when things aren't working out they just didn't file for divorce. It was always seen as the man is the provider, the leader, and the woman takes care of the family. If that is in order, then the rest is up in the air. I just can't think like that

I will never understand men/women who cheat, lie, have these behaviors but then want to cry a river over the spouse who they lost and so called loved. I do feel your grandfather loved your grandmother unconditionally, but I feel that if someone loves you unconditionally there should be no cheating. He probably felt guilty and had time to sit and think about the only woman who was there over fifty plus years and there are no mistresses to be found

That is usually how it goes.

I do hope he has made peace with her, his behavior, and his feelings for your grandmother

Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscorpiored View Post
No disrespect to your grandfather but he did mistreat your grandmother with the revolving door of mistresses. This is the old school so I respect that. Bottom line, when you are dealing with the old generation when things aren't working out they just didn't file for divorce. It was always seen as the man is the provider, the leader, and the woman takes care of the family. If that is in order, then the rest is up in the air. I just can't think like that

I will never understand men/women who cheat, lie, have these behaviors but then want to cry a river over the spouse who they lost and so called loved. I do feel your grandfather loved your grandmother unconditionally, but I feel that if someone loves you unconditionally there should be no cheating. He probably felt guilty and had time to sit and think about the only woman who was there over fifty plus years and there are no mistresses to be found

That is usually how it goes.

I do hope he has made peace with her, his behavior, and his feelings for your grandmother
He used the circumstances in his advantage. Smart man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships