Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 PM

94 posts, read 375,868 times

Advertisements

So I met up with a girl from a dating website last week at a little cafe, had good conversation for a couple hours (until the place closed on us) and she said she would like to get together again.

So for a second date, I'm thinking something a little more fun and casual. Now I know bowling can be kind of cliche, but there is a bowling alley where I live connected to a movie theater. We are getting together Saturday night, and I was thinking of maybe seeing if she wanted to play a game or two of bowling and then catch a showing of Jurassic Park in 3D (who doesn't love that movie???). The one thing about her is she doesn't drink and has a kind of strict diet... so options do become a little limited.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 PM

837 posts, read 963,428 times
I like to avoid movies until the third or fourth date. There's not much interaction going on during 90 minutes of a film (and you guys sound like you're hitting it off and should keep that bowling ball rolling!), and it's safer to ask her what kind she'd like to see than assume she's a fan of renegade dinosaurs.

I think you should recommend the bowling and ask if she'd like to plan the second half of the evening.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 PM

7,453 posts, read 13,450,948 times
2nd date and movie? nahh

Bowling is a good idea though. Its short in duration, enjoyable for most people and you interact and learn more about each other. After the bowling take her somewhere for a drink or something to eat, that meets her dietary needs.

At this stage of dating you want to learn more about her and whether she is someone you want to pursue further.
A movie fails on that count.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,287,147 times
It all depends on what she likes, it would be nice if she came up with something.

Personally, Im not big on the movie thing either, especially this early into dating.. Like someone else said, theres not much interaction or even eye contact, your going to hold hands!?!?!

But if both of you guys are really into this particular movie it could be interesting, like if your both Hobbit fans or something

From my experience with girlfriends and movies, its better to be going to the same place after because sleepiness sometimes occurs after the movie.

bowling is OK, I was always on the fence with competitive activities and dates too. Do you let her win, or destroy her lol...???

How old are you guys, that I think would help a bit.

This could be the difference between the steak house and wine or the dinosaur museum date..

Old 04-03-2013, 12:24 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,513,544 times
Miniature golf.

[really!]

Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,377,714 times
Personally I am not a fan of movies and I happen to hate Jurassic Park but that is just me and the whole movie thing.

Anyway, for a second date I would go more toward the bowling (if she likes to go bowling) or ask her what she might have in mind for an evening of being together and getting to know each other. She may prefer something along the lines of dinner and a museum or the miniature golf or the bowling. The easiest way to know is to ask her what she likes to do.

I wish you a most pleasant evening on Saturday and I hope it all goes very well.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,072,445 times
Bowling is a fine idea if she likes simple activies such as that. It is an interactive thing, can be a little competitive (be friendly about it), and allows for a lot of conversation around the activity.

With that, a movie afterwards may be fine too. I wouldn't want to do just a movie, but with the bowling I think it is acceptable to enjoy a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
I like to avoid movies until the third or fourth date. There's not much interaction going on during 90 minutes of a film (and you guys sound like you're hitting it off and should keep that bowling ball rolling!), and it's safer to ask her what kind she'd like to see than assume she's a fan of renegade dinosaurs.

I think you should recommend the bowling and ask if she'd like to plan the second half of the evening.
I also think this is generally good advice, but I thought I would share an anecdote of the exception. On my second date with my now wife, we went "Christmas" shopping together and followed that with a movie. It was a fun time doing the shopping. Maybe not a cliche activity for a date, but it was that time of year, and we were able to talk alot around some browsing.

After we hit the movie theater, and by showtime were surprised to find we were the only two people in the theatre. So much for movies not being interactive. We started watching the movie, but ultimately missed about half of it!

(One caveat, we had known each other for some time before romantically dating, so we were not starting from scratch in getting to know each other either).

Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM

837 posts, read 963,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
On my second date with my now wife, we went "Christmas" shopping together and followed that with a movie. It was a fun time doing the shopping. Maybe not a cliche activity for a date, but it was that time of year, and we were able to talk alot around some browsing.
You got errands done DURING a date? I need to try this...maybe meet for coffee around the espresso machine...at my local bank branch.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,072,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
You got errands done DURING a date? I need to try this...maybe meet for coffee around the espresso machine...at my local bank branch.
It actually was fun! Not sure I would go to the bank, but we hit a big bookstore with coffee shop. We browsed the books, chatted about some of the stuff we read and had interests in. Sat down and had a coffee. Picked up a couple gifts for people. Definately not a heavy hitting date, but worked well for us.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,968,544 times
I dont know about bowling, but many women seem to enjoy that.
But mini golf? I prefer that, and most anybody can do that. And have fun with it. But bowling and the movie could be fun. But movies are finicky. Some people dont like doing that too early on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships