Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,788,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Actually, being a minority in some things does make you wrong. Like when you're discussing why people say a certain word.

You're wrong here.. people are not using the word as a slur, they're using it in a different way.
As I've said (several times now, dear), just because you do not mean to be offensive does not preclude you from being offensive. You may not realize you're using a word as a slur, but you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:22 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,208,438 times
I can't believe we're still having this conversation lol

Old 11-18-2012, 01:33 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,359,832 times
????

Can anyone throw me a clue here???

Old 11-18-2012, 01:39 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,164,691 times
Sounds like you've run into women who confuse class and good grooming with homosexuality, which is not only ignorant but pretty offensive too. Be glad you didn't date any of them. Not acting like a neanderthal does not make you feminine.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But the point is, if you were gay, how would it make you feel if one of the words that can be used to describe you is also being used to describe things as stupid and undesireable and tacky? You have to see that there's a connection there.
Do you mean the word "gay"? Um, no, it's used to mean GAY. Surely you don't consider gay people to be stupid and undesireable and tacky?

Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,938,938 times
If a woman is not into feminine traits in men, that is not homophobic. A straight woman would be hardwired to find "masculine" males most attractive . . .subconsciously for mating to become impregnated purposes . . .

Short-shorts, ala Richard Simmons would not appeal to the masses of straight women . . .you can say it's cultural but since there is an association with gay men, then that would be the subconscious reason . . . straight women do not wish to "mate" with gay men . . .so anything associated with gayness (i.e., super tight pants, short-shorts, etc.) would be ruled out . . .it's just a sorting mechanism - and it is "discriminating," but for a purpose, not because of "fear of homosexuals."

Old 11-18-2012, 10:04 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,121,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If you had any teenagers, or kids in college, you might have a different opinion. Sorry, but using the word "gay" in that manner is a very VERY common/typical thing amongst the young and even the general population, and even amongst their gay friends. Sure it sounds all politically correct to say "Oh my that is just awful", , ...but it's been in use for years, and I doubt that it's going anywhere anytime soon.

When someone does something that lends an appearance of "gayness"...and a friend wants to comment on it, why shouldn't they? Hell we even do this all the time at work. I mean, what would you have someone say..."Oh that outfit is just so...so...well, it looks like something that a gay person would wear...so you probably shouldn't wear it!".

I had someone tell me that my shoes looked "black" one time...as in that only a black woman would wear them. And she was black. So what?
So because it's common makes it okay?

It's still equating gay with bad. I'm talking about when people say 'that's so gay' to refer to ANYTHING that is bad. What if you said 'that's so black' or 'that's so Jew?'

Old 11-18-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Women generally don't say "OMG that is so gay." Usually it is more like "He is gay."

Calling an attribute (or style) gay is really a male thing to do.

Reminds me of a conversation we had with the bartender last night. He was totally a heavy metal/biker guy. We were talking about 80s metal. Anyway Judas Priest came up, and he was like me and my friends were not shocked that the lead came out later on. But what was hilarious was the lame homophobic metal heads who thought all things "gay" were gross. And that was their favorite band and they were emulating the lead singer. And then suddenly repulsed when he came out. Instead of reacting like "Judas Priest is an awesome band, not matter what the lead singers sexual orientation is."
They don't? Well I hear it an awful lot, even women my age.

And people, using gay as 'lame' or 'stupid' IS an insult. It's different to using it to mean effeminate, in case you don't know the difference. Like saying 'this movie is gay', because I don't like this movie. I'm generally not hung up on PC things but this is not a light-hearted joke and it's insulting to a lot of gay people.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
If a woman is not into feminine traits in men, that is not homophobic. A straight woman would be hardwired to find "masculine" males most attractive . . .subconsciously for mating to become impregnated purposes . . .

Short-shorts, ala Richard Simmons would not appeal to the masses of straight women . . .you can say it's cultural but since there is an association with gay men, then that would be the subconscious reason . . . straight women do not wish to "mate" with gay men . . .so anything associated with gayness (i.e., super tight pants, short-shorts, etc.) would be ruled out . . .it's just a sorting mechanism - and it is "discriminating," but for a purpose, not because of "fear of homosexuals."
How do you explain the fact in the past that many of the alpha males also had sex with other males, as a means of bonding?

That didn't turn off females. Being weak and non-alpha did, and that never included male on male action.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,938,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How do you explain the fact in the past that many of the alpha males also had sex with other males, as a means of bonding?

That didn't turn off females. Being weak and non-alpha did, and that never included male on male action.
I have no idea what you're talking about. The title of the thread is "Women finding men unattractive beacause it's gay . . ." or some such . . .nothing about man on man action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships