Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:06 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,100,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
I'm just confused as to why I don't get approached in real life....
I had a conversation with a friend a few months back and she was like what do I do when I am approached and I said I haven't been really. Maybe people do hit on me, but I dont realize it.
I had actually deleted that post because I misread your OP, thinking it was a guy! Disregard that one

Old 11-24-2012, 12:14 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,463 times
I signed up to POF after I moved across the country for a job and knew no one. Going out to the bar or a lounge alone to meet people isn't exactly a cool thing to do... Anyway, after a few weeks I was pretty lonely and wanted to see who was out there. I made it clear that I was looking for people to hang out with and if it turned into more, great but if not, friends are awesome too. I got a lot of messages right off the bat also. There's some nice people but there's also a ton of whack jobs.

Don't feel like you have to respond to everyone who messages you, take the time to go through their profiles and only respond to ones who seem like they'd be a good match for a relationship or friendship. You can weed guys out right away if they get all pissy "WHY HAVEN'T YOU MESSAGED ME BACK!?!?" if they don't hear from you for a day. Insecure much? In any case, I don't think it's exactly ideal, I've only met one person off the site for dinner and he was really nice but definitely not the guy for me, and he wasn't interested in a continued friendship so... that was it!

Good luck, be safe, if someone seems like a giant weirdo - they probably are. Trust your gut.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:27 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,796 times
^^^^good advice!
thank you

Old 11-24-2012, 12:30 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I had actually deleted that post because I misread your OP, thinking it was a guy! Disregard that one
everyone thinks I'm a guy on this site..not sure why, but my pic is posted on my profile

Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,497 times
Quote:
everyone thinks I'm a guy on this site..not sure why, but my pic is posted on my profile
Your picture is not accessible by the general public here.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:03 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Has anyone been successful on this site?
Of course. You'll find many thread here on this forum that will have references to successful experiences with POF, and others. I am one of them. Met my BF of over 3 years via POF.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Yeah I just signed up (again) a couple of weeks ago. I get a lot ot messages (surely less than women younger than me) but they are mostly people I would never want to date or are obviously just looking for an NSA thing. My aunt is now living with man whom she met online; she.contacted him first. The way I figure it, I need to either loosen up my standards or start messaging men myself. Since my aunt is a sucess story I will try things her way.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:58 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Yeah I just signed up (again) a couple of weeks ago. I get a lot ot messages (surely less than women younger than me) but they are mostly people I would never want to date or are obviously just looking for an NSA thing. My aunt is now living with man whom she met online; she.contacted him first. The way I figure it, I need to either loosen up my standards or start messaging men myself. Since my aunt is a sucess story I will try things her way.
I agree, that sounds like a good plan. When you canvas and message carefully you control the interaction and eliminate all that NSA or FWB nonsense. Look for guys who feel the same way as you and give them an indication of your interest. What guys usually have to do is shotgun them to multiple interests, you should probably do that as well simply because it increases your chances. I'm not saying to be indiscriminate, but rather that you should choose multiple profiles because the chances of one flaking out or not working out are very high, considering the online context.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:17 PM

778 posts, read 998,436 times
Quote:
I don't understand it whatsoever. I hangout at a bar every Sunday and no one really approaches me there or when I'm hanging out with my friends. Is this normal?

Yes. Its Sunday.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:22 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,278 times
Quote:
Has anyone been successful on this site?
Some people have. I met some nice guys off pof but I didn't get into a relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships