Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times

Advertisements

A ring is a symbol of commitment. It's not a gift. What do you value more, the commitment or the ring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
I dont believe in marriage or the symbolism behind any of the pomp and circumstance. If I love someone I dont need a ring or a dress or a day or a piece of paper to prove it.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
No, it doesn't. What matters is if it was given in love.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
While I agree wholeheartedly with a lot of the comments here (a ring does not mean everything...your love should matter more...etc.), my personal choice was to buy the nicest ring I could afford. However, instead of going for size, I went for quality.

After doing a lot of research/homework, I went the retail route and found a great engagement ring (white gold, three princess-cut diamonds) for a little over $12,000. Total karat weight is just over 2 (center stone being 1.08, D color, flawless cut/clarity; two outside stones being .5 each, D color, VVS2 clarity).

While not a huge bling-bling, the ring looks great on her finger (helped by the fact that she is petite) and I feel like I got her something I could be proud of. NO, it does not define our relationship and NO, it does not define everything about how I feel for her. My choice was made because I wanted to get her a ring that approached her beauty (inside and out). Cheesy, but true.

--Dim

Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
^^ wow you definitely paid on the high end of retail.... much better deals to be had than that for the same quality. Did you go somewhere like JAred?

Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 AM

This is the ring I got her...taken just after she said "yes".

//www.city-data.com/forum/26868208-post149.html

--Dim

Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
^^ wow you definitely paid on the high end of retail.... much better deals to be had than that for the same quality. Did you go somewhere like JAred?
I went to a jewler here in San Antonio (Americus Diamond). And I shopped around before I bought...I got what was comparable in other places like Jared or some custom shops. I didn't have time to go the wholesale route (i.e., shopping through a dealer in NYC).

--Dim

Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
This is the ring I got her...taken just after she said "yes".

//www.city-data.com/forum/26868208-post149.html

--Dim
Beautiful ring Dim.

I view marriage as a joint decision and I don't understand this whole "OMG HE PROPOSED" stuff. Engagements are a thing of the past in my opinion. But if people choose to get engaged they should decide on a price together then choose the ring together.

I'm not very romantic

Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post

While not a huge bling-bling, the ring looks great on her finger (helped by the fact that she is petite) and I feel like I got her something I could be proud of. NO, it does not define our relationship and NO, it does not define everything about how I feel for her. My choice was made because I wanted to get her a ring that approached her beauty (inside and out). Cheesy, but true.

--Dim
When I got my engagement ring, it was interesting how other people reacted to it. My ex made 6 figures and I guess my friends expected a big rock on my hand, but I chose a 500$ ring.

I really think a lot of women want something big to impress the world. And it would appear that men do too?

Last edited by the minx; 12-04-2012 at 09:10 AM..

Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Beautiful ring Dim.

I view marriage as a joint decision and I don't understand this whole "OMG HE PROPOSED" stuff. Engagements are a thing of the past in my opinion. But if people choose to get engaged they should decide on a price together then choose the ring together.

I'm not very romantic
Thanks.

Engagement rings (and the selection process, cost, style, etc.) are not for everyone. I'm more traditional, I guess. I got a general sense of what she liked (by browsing the Tiffany app on my phone) and then went to a store to make the purchase. I worked with the sales guy for about an hour, examining loose and pre-set stones. I knew I wanted to get the nicest stones I could afford, so that was my goal going-in.

Romantic is relative. You may not want/need the ring, but that does not diminish you in any way. Different strokes for different folks. (Whatchatalkin bout, Louis?)

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships