Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,861,203 times

Advertisements

Here is the hypothetical situation, based loosely on fact:

Man and woman go out to eat. Woman goes to the restroom and asks the man to order for her if the waiter comes around. Woman returns from bathroom, waiter has visited, but man did not order. The reason? Someone else got the waiter's attention and is taking a long time talking to the waiter. Woman waits patiently for several minutes and then waiter dissapears. Woman becomes annoyed, accuses man of not performing a simple task and says that it means more about his character-- that he is not assertive enough, etc. Man responds that he didn't know this was a test, and that its not a fair assessment. Woman gets the waiter's attention herself eventually but notes this behavior.

What do you think of this? Can people extrapolate deeper characteristics from simple examples of everyday interaction? Is it fair to do this? Do any of you engage in this behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,041,345 times
I'd think she was a nut case and stay far away from her.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:51 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,223,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post

Man and woman go out to eat. Woman goes to the restroom and asks the man to order for her if the waiter comes around. Woman returns from bathroom, waiter has visited, but man did not order. The reason? Someone else got the waiter's attention and is taking a long time talking to the waiter. Woman waits patiently for several minutes and then waiter dissapears. Woman becomes annoyed, accuses man of not performing a simple task and says that it means more about his character-- that he is not assertive enough, etc. Man responds that he didn't know this was a test, and that its not a fair assessment. Woman gets the waiter's attention herself eventually but notes this behavior.

What do you think of this? Can people extrapolate deeper characteristics from simple examples of everyday interaction? Is it fair to do this? Do any of you engage in this behavior?
What an obnoxious woman!!!

I think your whole scenario says way more about her than it does about him. It also says something about the waiter...

I don't believe in "tests" but I do think that you should be able to make judgements about someone's character based on your interaction with them.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM

904 posts, read 1,384,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'd think she was a nut case and stay far away from her.
I think you are quite correct.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:55 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,619,649 times
Women test men ALL THE TIME, from the day they meet. Most are oblivious to it, because they are blind.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,050,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post

The above you listed in your example is stupid and petty.

My "test" would be if he asked me to "chip" in for the meal on the first date. Let's just say, there would be no second.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:00 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,697,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Women test men ALL THE TIME, from the day they meet. Most are oblivious to it, because they are blind.
Or don't care.

Overall the chicks nuts.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:05 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,861,203 times
Here is another situation, also based loosely on fact:

Man and woman meet, hang out for a month. Things start to get romantic after week two with some kissing and snuggling but nothing sexual until week four. Man breaks off relationship after week four, stating that he cannot take the relationship seriously because they were too intimate too quickly and it says something about the woman's character. Woman says that she had no idea they were going "too quickly" as it was the man who was the initiator in the intimate situation.

In this scenario, was the test valid? What do you think of this?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,036,061 times
I'd just leave her at the table.

What a stupid woman.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,034,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Maybe women test you because you appear to be untrustworthy.

I'm not a tester, but I do notice certain things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships