Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 03:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,186,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Yes, sir.

I'm sure someone believes you.
Do you think so? Hmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM

414 posts, read 1,020,580 times
I wouldn't say this was a test. If she had deliberately set up the situation with the idea to see how you'd react, then it'd be a test, but that doesn't seem like how this went down.

That said, especially on dates, people are making some judgments on each other all the time. For example, if the man had treated the waiter like garbage, it'd hopefully be picked up on by the woman. In my example, it's pretty appropriate to judge because it's just testing common human courtesy. In the OP's example, it's a little bit ridiculous to judge because she's looking for such a specific response.

Testing, on the other hand, is completely manipulative crap. Anyone who's tried to run a "test" on me has gotten the proverbial boot out the door.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:58 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,903,497 times
Why didn't you just order for her?!

I don't think the woman is a nut job at all, she just expects a man to take charge, be a man. Now you're sitting another 20 min. because you couldn't make a simple decision. if you can't handle such simple dilemmas, how are you going to handle life's wild curveballs together?

I'd actually take the whole situation as a compliment. It is kind of an intimate situation of trust. That and I already know what's good She's probably the personality type that puts more sentimental meaning into just what ring a man picks out for her (cost aside) rather than, "Honey, if you ever propose, let me accompany you to the jeweler. I don't want you getting all stupid and cheap on me, or god forbid a yellow diamond." I know when my parents got married, my father could have gave mum a piece of granite on a rings and she would have cherished it forever. She hinted at her rings size and wanted nothing else to do with it. Didn't matter if he spend $20k or $100.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:03 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,012,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Do you think so? Hmm...
No. I'm just busting his balls.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,919 times
Well I guess that means there is someone for everybody.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:05 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,747,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
There is no such thing as a "valid" test. They're childish games. That's all they are.
^^^ this.

Children and crazy adults play games.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
The above you listed in your example is stupid and petty.

My "test" would be if he asked me to "chip" in for the meal on the first date. Let's just say, there would be no second.
And why should he have to pay exactly?

Old 12-04-2012, 04:18 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
And why should he have to pay exactly?
She's traditional its works for her just move on man.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:21 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,855,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Why didn't you just order for her?!

I don't think the woman is a nut job at all, she just expects a man to take charge, be a man. Now you're sitting another 20 min. because you couldn't make a simple decision. if you can't handle such simple dilemmas, how are you going to handle life's wild curveballs together?

I'd actually take the whole situation as a compliment. It is kind of an intimate situation of trust. That and I already know what's good She's probably the personality type that puts more sentimental meaning into just what ring a man picks out for her (cost aside) rather than, "Honey, if you ever propose, let me accompany you to the jeweler. I don't want you getting all stupid and cheap on me, or god forbid a yellow diamond." I know when my parents got married, my father could have gave mum a piece of granite on a rings and she would have cherished it forever. She hinted at her rings size and wanted nothing else to do with it. Didn't matter if he spend $20k or $100.

This wasn't my situation, but close to one that a friend of mine experienced. From what I understand, the woman in question was looking for exactly what you mentioned-- a "take charge" type. I think she probably tends to be the more dominant personality in most situations and was looking for someone to meet her half way.

As an aside, I would love it if a guy paid enough attention to pick out a ring. When I got married, I had to show what I liked and then wait in the car while he bought it. Then he just brought it home and said "here you go. I don't believe in the knee thing." Huh? How romantic is that? I remember feeling sort of awful about it when people would ask how it happened.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
She's traditional its works for her just move on man.
I am anti-traditional. My test is that I offer to pay for the first date and if she takes me up on it without some sort of response e.g. "I will pay next time", or "we should split it", or "I can pay" etc. there is no second date. I like liberated women I find them to be much more fun and interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships