Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times

Advertisements

My long distance girlfriend I recently found out has send a nude picture and has been having "cyber sex" via skype with one of my best friends. My girlfriend and I pretty serious, and we have big plans for the future that we talk about often. Two weeks after the first incident my best friend approached me and told me I need to rethink my situation with my girlfriend, saying he doesn't think she's serious about the relationship and only didn't want to be alone, not particularly be with me.

When I confronted my girlfriend about this, she said there is more to the story, and she brought my best friend over for a 3 way call via Skype. I asked my friend about this many times before he relucantly decided to join the call. Every time I asked him he claimed he had no idea what she was talking about and wrote her off as being crazy. Only when she came out and said what had happened did he admit to it as well. This is when she came forward with the information that they had been sexting via skype and she had sent him one nude image. They had done it 3 times, and she claims she felt guilty and had been trying to work up the courage to tell me for two weeks. There was nothing physical about it, since they live great distances apart, but it's cheating all the same.My girlfriend and I are deeply in love, I believe she loves me, and I know I love her.

Now, for the tricky part. We have been together for 10 months. 3 months into our relationship I did the same thing my girlfriend recently came out doing. This mistake was made with a random girl I had met via the internet. I remember apologizing profusely and telling her she should leave me, because I did not deserve her. Relucantly she chose to forgive me and move on. I considered that a turning point though, because from that moment on I realized how much I did love this girl and I began to care for her much more deeply than I ever had before.

What bothers me most was that this act of cheating came at what was one of the strongest points in our relationship, 10 months into the game when we are discussing the possibility of marriage in the near future, and it was with my best friend, someone I see on a daily basis.

We've both made mistakes now, part of me wonders how serious we are about actually being with each other. Makes me wonder if we are actually ready. I feel since she took me back the first time, I kind of owe it to her to accept her back after this. And although it was cheating, there was no actual kissing, no physical sex involved. For the record, my best friend and I are no longer on speaking terms, for the moment I've stayed on with my girlfriend but told her she is no longer to speak with him, which she has agreed to.

Any ideas or advice on what to do in this situation? All comments and criticism are appreciated, I'm just really confused as to what I should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:18 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Have you actually met in person?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:23 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
If she is long distance, how does she even know your best friend and how did they come to exchange skype contact info? I also kinda wonder if you have ever met.

Assuming this is a real relationship, I say dump her immediately. It's one thing to have an indiscretion, but doing it with your best friend is a big F U to you. She is the type of woman who would bang your brother and say, "I dunno, it just happened."

Old 12-07-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
If she is long distance, how does she even know your best friend and how did they come to exchange skype contact info?
She asks about my friends. She met him through FB and started chatting that way.
She claims she doesn't know why she did it, but felt bad even while doing it. She has confessed how incredibly sorry she is and that she doesn't know how she would carry on without me, and has begged me not to leave her. I still kind of feel obligated to keep her though, since I made the same exact mistake several months ago, except it wasn't with her best friend, just a random girl. Idk, I'm confused. Maybe long distance relationships are just too tough and I should find someone who's here and now.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:38 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,510 times
If you haven't actually met in person, I struggle with the concept of "girlfriend" and "cheating."

Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
If you haven't actually met in person, I struggle with the concept of "girlfriend" and "cheating."
We have met in person.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:42 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,576,847 times
Dude you have to dump her. She has no respect for you as a man whatsoever. There is no recovering from this especially since this happened early. The relationship is toast because she is not attracted to you and she has already banged some dude at work or from class.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
Deeply in love? She's not in love with you if she cheated on you, physically or emotionally.

Dump her ass and move on. She's not worth the effort.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Default No RESPECT FOR boundaries ...

I would have been suspicious when she started looking up my friends and "chatting" via FB. She obviously really really "needs" male attention.

Cheating is not restricted to physical acts.

What should matter is the decision you both made to turn away (emotionally) from each other and toward someone else.

What is the status of the long-distance part? Why are you in separate places and for how long?

I would say you need to "date other people" while you are apart.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
It does not sound like much of a best friend or girlfriend.

I would dump them BOTH...no liar is ever going to be of valule in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships