Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 PM

666 posts, read 1,292,057 times

Advertisements

In the old days, when I was looking for relationships, I have to admit that I somewhat wanted to get attention. I saw pictures of friends and family with their respective partners, in romantic positions and I wanted to be in that position. That was around the late 90's when in school and the last decade. When I entered university in 2001 I imagined myself with a beautiful girl with me holding hands and all that stuff. (No sexual desire was anywhere to be found)

As I grew up and began to realize my fate, I learned that this could not be as good as it may seem, because to do something that should be intimate in front of everybody to get attention was, for me, not moral, at least not honest.

Currently I have my reserves on the issue of PDA. I cannot judge people that do it although for me long PDA like long kisses and almost-sexual postures in public may look cheesy, insecure and somewhat not right especially for kids to see.

Last november I was among a huge crowd of people watching the final results of the elections and in front of me there were two gays, one of them consistently caressing the back of his partner, and although it was not the first time seeing it, it reminded me of all the times seeing it in heterosexual couples, especially women to men. The other partner would not really respond the same way- the other gay did not caress his partner. Also, long time ago in a church, there was couple a girl and a boy and the girl was consistently caressing and cuddling her boyfriend and he would not do the same back with her. I typically ignore when a couple is having an affection moment when it is mutual but when I see some friction in one of the parts it makes me think if they really are being that "lovely" to each other. In some occasion when I see it the girl would look at me when caressing/cuddling her boyfriend. For me it is definitely looking for attention, "look we love each other"... perhaps I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Yeah, you're wrong.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:55 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
What it really is, it's that, " Hey! lookie me, I'm sexy! no matter where I am, or what's going on, I AM SEXY!"

If someone feels they have to prove it to someone, they most likely are NOT. Anyone can ACT that way. Actually being sexy is something that comes naturally.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:56 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,910 times
I can't wait until I get to eat this delicious steak in the fridge.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
People with lives don't worry about this sort of thing.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Public displays of affection (except amongst the teeny-bopper crowd) have nothing to do with "hey look at me," and everything to do with two people who like each other wanting to be in physical contact with one another.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
I wonder too, if some of those couples where only one is making the contact on the other, and it's not happening in a reciprocal fashion...if there is something possessive going on, or if it's some indication of the social dynamic in the relationship.

But then I like to analyze things just for the sake of giving myself something to think about...

My husband doesn't like to hold hands. Says it makes his hand sweaty and he just doesn't like to. Some guys do, and I used to enjoy it in the past with guys when I was a teenager. But I do think that over the top displays in random public locations are a bit disrespectful to others, regardless of what genders the people are doing it. Big difference between "aww" and "get a room!"

Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I wonder too, if some of those couples where only one is making the contact on the other, and it's not happening in a reciprocal fashion...if there is something possessive going on, or if it's some indication of the social dynamic in the relationship.

But then I like to analyze things just for the sake of giving myself something to think about...

My husband doesn't like to hold hands. Says it makes his hand sweaty and he just doesn't like to. Some guys do, and I used to enjoy it in the past with guys when I was a teenager. But I do think that over the top displays in random public locations are a bit disrespectful to others, regardless of what genders the people are doing it. Big difference between "aww" and "get a room!"
Exactly.

When I was younger during a big feast where there was a huge crowd and some bands singing and there was this couple who was kissing about maybe more than 2 minutes. Everybody around looking at them. Looks like a couple there needed a motel room fast.

In bars and other places where there is the effect of alcohol it may be different because people are not really aware of what they are doing when drunk.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
What it really is, it's that, " Hey! lookie me, I'm sexy! no matter where I am, or what's going on, I AM SEXY!"

If someone feels they have to prove it to someone, they most likely are NOT. Anyone can ACT that way. Actually being sexy is something that comes naturally.
For me it is simple that if two people are giving this PDA there is no reason one of them look at me. Or anyone else.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:16 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
The things people blog about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships