Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,328 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I'm new here and all, but I just wanted to take a moment to quickly ask a question, so that I can at least get some advice.

Me and this girl (we're both early twenties), worked part time at this job. We used to work together every now and then on a project we were assigned. I started liking her a bit over time, and it seemed to an extent she would react the same way (sometimes sitting real close to me when working on something, asking to meet privately in a quiet meeting room when I'd arrange meetings). She seemed to have some flirtatious tendencies, like laughing at things I said that weren't really funny, brushing her hair. But other times she would seem to react somewhat indifferently, and we'd often go many days without dealing with each other. More often than not, I’d be the one initiating contact with her. She’s an introvert though… so I’m not sure if this could have been attributed to shyness or lack of interest.

Well, when it became apparent that our part time contracts were coming to an end, I decided to ask her to dinner. She said yes (somewhat happily, without hesitation it seemed); so I asked if tomorrow would be good. But she said she was busy, but early next week would work. Well early next week comes around, and I message her asking if she's up to it. But it turns out on that same day she got a new job offer, and would be going on a trip in 2 days for a meeting (all this was definitely true). So she messaged back saying she needed to spend the night packing (not sure why she needed to do this 2 days in advance though). Her message said she'd definitely be happy to do something, but that we "may" need to wait, and that we could "possibly" do something when she returns. Now, I'm not sure if she was kindly brushing me off, or really meant it, but she did leave her phone number in her message (though she had also given her number to everyone else in the office in a farewell email).

The day before she left, I went over to her desk to simply congratulate her; not really expecting to follow up on any plans. She did say that the job offer was unexpected, and that "we should do something sometime." She didn't really seem enthusiastic though (she kind of said it quiet-like), but she did bring it up first. I basically said, "well we have each others numbers." I suggested something we could possibly do, and she said "that sounds cool," but again, didn't seem too enthusiastic. Now, I’m kind of an awkward guy, not really good with small talk. So I’m not sure if I’ve creeped her out a bit over the past week (since asking her out), and she's just sympathetic, wanting to kindly get me off her back.

I really don't know if she's just flaky, or is at least somewhat interested. The way I see it, there's a few options:

1.) Send her a text/email when she gets back. But I worry this might come across as too desperate

2.) Wait and see if she'll initiate contact with me when she returns, but run the risk of never seeing her again if she expects me to do this first (I’m leaning towards this option though)

3.) See her when she comes back to hold a farewell company party at some bar (which may or may not actually happen; and even if it did, I'm not eager to hang out with the other workers. Plus, under my circumstances, it would feel a little stalkerish if I went there just to see her… but I dunno)

It would almost be a relief if she just told me she wasn't interested. But as it stands, I'm mostly confused.

This was a lot longer than I expected it to be lol

Last edited by BlueBahama; 02-15-2013 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 02:49 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,315,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBahama View Post
Does she want to go out with me?
None of us could possibly have any idea.

Now, what should you do.

Call her after she gets back and ask her how the job thing went. Then offer to take her out to celebrate or to cheer her up depending

Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,282,729 times
Quote:

Me and this girl (we're both early twenties), worked part time at this w ...........
What is a "w", and what kind of work do you do at one?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Hm. Sounds a little lukewarm, to me. I'd wait until she's back, then call her (not text, call) and ask her how her new job went, will she be back awhile, chit chat. Then ask her if you can use the raincheck she'd given you for that dinner (keep it light). If it's, "oh, gee, I'm really busy until next week", move on. You shouldn't have to spend a month reeling someone in just for a dinner. There are other fish out there.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM

650 posts, read 702,403 times
I'll bet no over yes but I'd let her make the next move.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Woops fixed. And just an office job.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,315,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It's kinda like "The Y" or "Circle K" or "BJ's" or ...

Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
It's kinda like "The Y" or "Circle K" or "BJ's" or ...

Another thing I forgot to mention is that she was talking to someone on the phone when I went to congratulate her. I asked if it was a bad time, and she said no, and told the person she would call them back. Not sure if this means anything or if I'm just reading too much into it.

Anyways I may just grow a pair and call her. Haven't decided yet.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 AM

348 posts, read 550,194 times
If I can impart one thing I learned to any guy who will listen...do not overanalyze what women do and if you like someone, invite them out to something like happy hour or a cool bar she would enjoy. It doesn't have to be a formal date (women aren't stupid, they know what we want) something where she will feel comfortable and you both can get to know each other.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,892,725 times
Quote:

Another thing I forgot to mention is that she was talking to someone on the phone when I went to congratulate her. I asked if it was a bad time, and she said no, and told the person she would call them back. Not sure if this means anything or if I'm just reading too much into it.

Anyways I may just grow a pair and call her. Haven't decided yet.
Do it. Too many wuss out on asking women out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships