Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,089 times

Advertisements

I feel like in this era, a girl is immediately classified as a materialistic person so quickly and we can't even make any suggestions without the guy jumping to conclusions and immediately assume we're after his money when I don't even care about jewels. I'd rather have tons of books to read than wearing gold bracelets.

For instance, I was once reading about a post from a different site about how a girl's bf took her to McDonald's for her damn birthday when the guy had the option to take her somewhere else or at least do something creative. Yet, some posters (esp male poster) started commenting on how she should be happy he at least took her on a date for her birthday and kept blaming feminism and how women don't deserve to be dined anymore, etc. Basically those posters thought she was asking too much. IMO that girl had every right to be upset just like any person. I wouldn't take a bf to a cheap, greasy fast food restaurant to his b-day either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 12:16 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Have you come across a materialistic woman? Were the signs/red flags obvious?
Consider this situation - if you took your GF to Black Angus for your 1st year anniversary and she called you cheap because you should've taken her to a better steakhouse what would be your reaction? Would you consider it materialistic or reasonable?

dude, i would consider her well done and over and that you are asking the wrong questions. i've been to some of the best steakhouse and rarely does it measure up to the ribeye i can make at home. so, it's not about the steakhouse you took her to bro. it's about her being high maintenance and thinking she is worthy of more time, attention, and money. in other words, she wants you to step it up if you want that tail around much longer.

and as to your question, anytime a woman writes "seeking a man who is blah, blah, and [goal oriented, established career, financially secure/stable, anything referencing resourses other an personality, character, values, looks, fitness]'... that's your sign that a woman is also looking to see "what you bring to the table" besides who you are as a person, i.e., person with assets and potential meal ticket. no kidding, don't believe the hype and howls against this either. yet you should also know that financial resources and potential for it are just the realities involved in dating and mating women. all you have to do is look at the kind of women wealthy guys are involved with, i.e., they are often the selector of whom they want to be involved with.

Last edited by nokiddin; 10-06-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 10-06-2013, 12:28 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Steakhouse = BO-ring! Take her to a nice higher-end place, a white-tablecloth place. Oh well. Too late, I guess.
And yeah, after a year, you should know from observation if she's materialistic.
I agree.

But it doesn't mean she's materialistic b/c she didn't like the steakhouse. Maybe the steaks were of poor quality? Maybe it was just basic pub fare masquerading as a steak house? Maybe it doesn't have the right setting or ambiance?

Her gripe with the restaurant you chose doesn't necessarily make her materialistic.

And I agree...you don't need a year or an online forum filled with strangers to tell you something you probably should have figured out during the year you've been together as a couple.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Steakhouse = BO-ring! Take her to a nice higher-end place, a white-tablecloth place. Oh well. Too late, I guess.
And yeah, after a year, you should know from observation if she's materialistic.
+1, as always

Old 10-06-2013, 05:37 PM

62 posts, read 100,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I can think of a lot of very high end steakhouses...

the gf sounds like a b*tch, I'd dump her ass

Old 10-06-2013, 05:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
So, this guy has supposedly been with this woman for a year. A whole year. Usually, if you are with someone for that long, you are pretty much in love with them and you know if they are materialistic or not. She says one comment that makes him scratch his head, he turns to the internet instead of discussing it with her, and the advice he gets here is to dump her? Somehow, I don't think that's automatically the right thing to do...

Old 10-06-2013, 05:53 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So, this guy has supposedly been with this woman for a year. A whole year. Usually, if you are with someone for that long, you are pretty much in love with them and you know if they are materialistic or not. She says one comment that makes him scratch his head, he turns to the internet instead of discussing it with her, and the advice he gets here is to dump her? Somehow, I don't think that's automatically the right thing to do...
Hmmm agreed. I smell wimpy.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:03 PM

it's there first year anniversary, she called him "cheap" for taking her to a steakhouse, a very cheap shot at his manhood, the earning capacity, or whatever hitting him where it counts. if she would have said something like it's not as romantic as she expected (Ruth's point), i could understand that. She may have intended to say that, but imho it would have been nonetheless a freudian slip, inadvertently revealing something about her true character.

as for being with someone a "whole year" meaning they are "pretty much in love", there are lots of women who make the 1-2yr mark a decision point as to whether to continue to invest more time, energy, and effort in the relationship or move one. sounds like this was one of those moments. if not for her, definitely for him.

Last edited by nokiddin; 10-06-2013 at 06:12 PM..

Old 10-06-2013, 06:09 PM

62 posts, read 100,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It's the way she and other women in this thread feel a steakhouse is "beneath them" or something.

Most guys can see what "that" or "this" is a mile away.

A $50_$100+ dinner isn't good enough.

Nah, I'll take the one who would think Olive Garden or Applebee's was fine, let alone this.

I'm not familiar with that chain, so I'll compare it to Texas Roadhouse.

Back to "the blonde" thread.

My Ma and Sister would NEVER turn down a dinner at any of these places.

Scratch you off the list.

You are outclassed by two superior women.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Have you come across a materialistic woman? Were the signs/red flags obvious?
Consider this situation - if you took your GF to Black Angus for your 1st year anniversary and she called you cheap because you should've taken her to a better steakhouse what would be your reaction? Would you consider it materialistic or reasonable?
That would be materialistic. And just plain rude. When people do something for you, you are supposed to say "thank you," not give them a hard time because they didn't do more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships