Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:12 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,950,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Sure, but are you going to give any guy your number who asks for it online without first going back in forth for a day or two?
When I talk to women online, I get all of their numbers right away. Within 5 messages I have their number and just text. If it takes longer than that, they're not going to go out with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 03:31 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,271,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
6th time this has happened with online dating (4th for the girl contacting me first).

The girl makes a general comment / introduction, but then doesn't ask much of anything else about me during the course of the conversation. Meanwhile, I'll ask some about them, what they do, interests etc, which they respond to, but then they don't ask anything in return. Not even "what about you?"

I can get it if the girl isn't interested, but come on, if you reach out first to me, be able to hold a freaking conversation.

Also, fill out something about yourself in your profile. Not what you're looking for. About yourself. I could care less if you are looking for a "nice guy who doesn't play games." Good for you. Who are you though? Do you have any interests besides nice guys? Hobbies? Guess not.

/end rant.

I understand this, but it happens alot with guys too.........a guy sent me private messages constantly and if I didn't reply right away he would send another to see if i got the first one after a few days of his "sweet talk" he never responded to email. I think it was because I asked for a photo, so I'm guessing he was a creep.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,975,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBomb View Post
There are guys that do but I think he's referring to the average man and woman. You can't deny woman getting way more emails on average than men which is why you get so many threads from men about women not replying. They don't reply because they only choose the best emails to reply to. Unfortunately that usually means there are other women replying to the same guy which means he's doing the same thing as you now. After all you don't talk to just any old man right? I'm sure you have standards which is fine.
Women definitely get more emails, even when we take out the ones that really shouldn't count (i.e. the completely rude ones, the ones from guys not remotely close to the age bracket you've set, they guys who can't use any capitalization or punctuation, they guys who live on the other side of the country and the ones that think they are wizards). But he's talking about women who respond or even start the conversation and then can't say converse like a normal human. There are plenty of guys who I do respond to and then they respond to everything I say with one liners. I'll assume some lost interest, but seriously? Some of them even take the time to craft a decent email that clearly shows they've read my profile, I send a response, which includes questions and they respond back with something like. "That's cool" Okay, then.

Or the guy who texted me everyday for weeks. "Hi, how are you?" I respond, "I'm good, how are you?" he responds "fine." and then nothing else. I tried the first two days and replied to "fine", and then I just got bored and decided to see how many days he would send me the same message. (For the record: 8 of me responding, and 5 more days without any response from me at all).

Old 12-31-2012, 06:11 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,668,355 times
Because type-talking is lame if you live near each other, unless you have something REALLY interesting/funny to say in writing.

Ask her to meet for coffee/ice cream and talk face-to-face.

Last edited by srjth; 12-31-2012 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 AM

50,860 posts, read 36,563,313 times
I see a lot of men saying women get "bombarded" by e-mails. In my experience, we do get bombarded when we put a new profile up, as we're "new meat" so to speak, but it falls off quickly, and within a couple of weeks the bombardment stops. I also think both men and women display often poor behavior. When women write "why do men online ______" or men write "why do women online_____" I believe it is interchangeable to "why do PEOPLE online_____".

Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM

37,639 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
When I talk to women online, I get all of their numbers right away. Within 5 messages I have their number and just text. If it takes longer than that, they're not going to go out with you.
Texting is the very stupidest way to learn about someone - because you won't learn a damn thing. If you go offline, then be a grownup and pickup the damn phone and DIAL the number. TALK.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,162,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Texting is the very stupidest way to learn about someone - because you won't learn a damn thing. If you go offline, then be a grownup and pickup the damn phone and DIAL the number. TALK.
Depends on the age of the datee...if they're a above 30 or something sure, go ahead and call, but the new generation of kids like texting, at least this has been my experience. Calling 20 somethings too early in the proceedings tends to spook them off.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

I refuse to talk on the phone, I don't do that with anybody. You'll never catch me having a phone conversation with anybody. Except my mom, I talk to my mom.

Other than that, I meet in person asap. There are way too many women out there to get fixated on one. If I am doing online dating, I get their number to text them and have a date set up for that same week.

That is how you get to know them, not by a phone conversation.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,478,369 times
Been there. Few people have learned the art of correspondence, and don't realize that asking a question is often necessary to elicit a response or to keep a conversation going.

Most just want to meet quickly, and can't be bothered writing. Personally, if someone can't express themselves well in writing (even for a short time until we decide to meet), I'm unlikely to want to meet them at all, so I see it as a way to screen out unsuitable people.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Been there. Few people have learned the art of correspondence, and don't realize that asking a question is often necessary to elicit a response or to keep a conversation going.

Most just want to meet quickly, and can't be bothered writing. Personally, if someone can't express themselves well in writing (even for a short time until we decide to meet), I'm unlikely to want to meet them at all, so I see it as a way to screen out unsuitable people.

One thing I've noticed, is that if they give you a really boring response, if you do one back to them they'll realize they suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships