Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,832,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
I mean maybe this would make a difference, but when the girl I mentioned was telling me about her ex... lol. There is no way he did any of that, and he pretty much is a basement dwelling no-life, yet he was good enough for her to date him apparently. I'll be damned if it turns out she got back with him, she was totally trashing him to me and saying she is never getting back with him... but you never know.
GAH! Talking again! When a girl (or woman) starts to talk about her ex, you need to shut that down. Take her by the hand and go for a walk. Any guy who sits there passively and lets her go on and on about some OTHER GUY is definitely not going to earn her interest or respect. Be a man of action!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 PM

197 posts, read 451,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
In that case it doesn't sound like she would be worth dating...why would you want to date someone who goes out with those types?
Ehh I don't know... I don't know everything about the guy, but nice, attractive girls date these kinds of dudes all the time... I really enjoyed talking to her, we both have a similar sense of sarcastic humor, and we seemed to get along pretty well.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,353,671 times
Quote:
Not even sure what all you mean by this. And yeah, I realize most people our age don't know what they want, heck I don't know exactly what I want, if I had to answer, I would say I want to date some girls for experience and just see how it goes. And I'm not trashing women here btw, I understand their complaints about men too. But (and i'm sure this a topic that has been discussed on these boards in length...) sometimes it seems easier for them, as they have all these options, whereas it's a bit tougher for guys. I have been complimented by many girls for my looks, personality, and I can approach girls, get numbers, but from there, it can be kinda difficult, and can be like the roll of a die.

To LIS123, true, very true, but it gets discouraging when they show prior interest. It just seems like prior interest doesn't matter, it's all about how they feel now.
Remember, the girls 'show[ed] prior interest' in your opinion. While you're entitled to your own opinion, there's no guarantee that these girls really were interested you even when you thought they were. I've certainly been wrong about it more than once.

If you're comfortable approaching girls and getting numbers at age 20, you're off to a good start.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 PM

197 posts, read 451,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Remember, the girls 'show[ed] prior interest' in your opinion. While you're entitled to your own opinion, there's no guarantee that these girls really were interested you even when you thought they were. I've certainly been wrong about it more than once.

If you're comfortable approaching girls and getting numbers at age 20, you're off to a good start.
In this instance, maybe not... even if it really seemed like it. Fact of the matter is though, I have been with previous girls that I knew for a fact were interested in me, but they seem to just change their minds.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM

201 posts, read 236,891 times
Our society has changed. A guy has to fight with several different forces in order to gain the attention of a woman. Facebook, texting, friends, college, shopping, etc. etc. There are so many other things that women(and men) are preoccupied by that they don't have time to invest in or even pay attention to a potential relationship. Our minds are going in a hundred different directions.

My grandma got married when she was 16 years old. Prior to the 60s and the rise of feminism, young women were taught, groomed and prepared by their mothers to become wives and mothers. This is how it was since the dawn of man. It worked. Men had their roles and women had their's. But now, women want the man's role and the men...well, we just have to deal with the fact that we live in a society full of women who don't have the foggiest idea of how to be a wife or even a decent partner.

I sort of went off topic there a little. I guess my point is, once upon a time before feminism, young women actually made it a priority to find a good man and build a relationship. They devoted themselves to becoming good women with something to offer a man. Now, they devote themselves to...themselves.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,173,952 times
Must be hard dealing with what they've dealt with for the past..oh say...five thousand years? People were devoting themselves to themselves before feminism too...except it was the men who got away with it more.

Societies where women have no choice but to become "good wives" are not healthy, economically viable societies. Saudi Arabia and similar nations only exist courtesy of US support and oil, without which they would be desert holes. Women there, under Sharia law, are not allowed to drive or do sports, or go outside without a male relative. Having more than half the population not contributing economically is not a great way to be competitive.

And besides, what does "something to offer" a man even mean? A women whose only education has been to be a good mother or wife really has more to offer than a women with hobbies, education and a career? I don't think so.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,232,797 times
Quote:
In this instance, maybe not... even if it really seemed like it. Fact of the matter is though, I have been with previous girls that I knew for a fact were interested in me, but they seem to just change their minds.
So you just want us to agree with you and stop offering advice ...

Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,729,917 times
Quote:
I'm 20, pretty decent looking guy, work out, go to college, have a job.
wow you're so unique.

Question: did you 'go away' to college? or is this like a community college type?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 PM

201 posts, read 236,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Must be hard dealing with what they've dealt with for the past..oh say...five thousand years? People were devoting themselves to themselves before feminism too...except it was the men who got away with it more.

Societies where women have no choice but to become "good wives" are not healthy, economically viable societies. Saudi Arabia and similar nations only exist courtesy of US support and oil, without which they would be desert holes. Women there, under Sharia law, are not allowed to drive or do sports, or go outside without a male relative. Having more than half the population not contributing economically is not a great way to be competitive.

And besides, what does "something to offer" a man even mean? A women whose only education has been to be a good mother or wife really has more to offer than a women with hobbies, education and a career? I don't think so.
1.) Before feminism it was never about who can get away with more or who has it easier or who's taking advantage of who. It was about men and women understanding that they are different from each other, physiologically, cognitively and emotionally. And those differences can complement each other and create a harmonious, working relationship with each gender performing their roles according to their inherent strengths and weaknesses. Nowadays, if you point out the differences between men and women you get accused of being a sexist, misogynistic pig.

2.) I don't see any reason why you need to use Saudi Arabia as an example. You could just as easily use any western country prior to the rise of feminism in the 1960s. Are you suggesting that America wasn't a healthy, economically viable society in 1940? Are you suggesting that America is healthy and economically viable now that we're $16 trillion in debt, the home has broken down, marriages don't last, children are walking into schools murdering each other, abortion rates are at an all time high, more people on are welfare than ever before? Oh yeah....it's a much better society now, thanks to feminism and "equality". But hey, at least women are out there working and being independent, right?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,787,936 times
It's really all about the drama. If you can't create a steady stream of drama both negative and positive the girl will probably lose interest and find someone who can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships