Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:55 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,760,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Suffering from what syndrome? Being normal?
Exactly.

Many people can have sex without love. Only the hyperreligious and hopeless romantics associate sex with a committed relationship.

If you have had a traumatic childhood event you should seek out a Counselor though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,104,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Exactly.

Many people can have sex without love. Only the hyperreligious and hopeless romantics associate sex with a committed relationship.

If you have had a traumatic childhood event you should seek out a Counselor though.
I disagree with that. I won't have sex without love and I'm not hyper-religious or a hopeless romantic. It's more about trust with me. No way in hell I'm letting someone get that close (and getting naked) without having trust in the relationship. The only people that earn that level of trust are those that I have a very close relationship with.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,760,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I disagree with that. I won't have sex without love and I'm not hyper-religious or a hopeless romantic. It's more about trust with me. No way in hell I'm letting someone get that close (and getting naked) without having trust in the relationship. The only people that earn that level of trust are those that I have a very close relationship with.
Trust and love are mutually exclusive. I wouldn't have sex with someone I don't trust either but I don't have to feel madly in love with them.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,104,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Trust and love are mutually exclusive. I wouldn't have sex with someone I don't trust either but I don't have to feel madly in love with them.
See, for me they are not mutually exclusive. I don't trust all too many people. If I don't love a person, it's not likely that I trust them either.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,171,961 times
OP, like others have said, you seem pretty normal.

However, if you're using sex as a way to cover up emotional problems or make you feel needed, there might be some issues there that could ruin a lot of great things for you.

Personally, I had some issues that made me find sex repulsive for a very long time. For the longest time, I felt uncomfortable when men paid any sort of attention to me, even if it was sweet and not overly sexual.

Counseling helped though. I went to the root of the problem and learned how to deal with what was really plaguing me.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 AM

102,261 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan2 View Post
I'd really like to know because I'm suffering from that syndrome and seem to disassociate the two. I blame the traumatic incident that happened to me as a child.
You fall in love. You may not have met the right woman yet.

But if you suspect childhood trauma, that should be addressed for its own sake. There are therapists these days who specialize in trauma. If you have unresolved childhood trauma, it's likely that it's affecting your life in other ways. It could also be affecting your health, subtly. It affects the nervous system.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,812,839 times
Setting aside everyone's personal philosophies and/or moral/religious parameters, the point is that the OP simply needs to be dissuaded from the fact that he believes that there's something wrong with him for thinking that sex doesn't require love. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with him, he's not suffering some sort of bizarre "syndrome" because of a childhood traumatic event.

If he believes that this childhood event continues to affect him negatively then of course he should seek counseling to try and sort it out and put it into perspective but he's certainly not abnormal simply in thinking that sex can be separated from love. "What's love got to do with it - what's love but a second hand emotion?" - well you can look at it that way too!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,724,465 times
I've had sex with women I dont love and I've had sex with women I do love. Many people, particularly men, see the two as being seperate. I guess I dont understand your problem.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM

49 posts, read 41,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
See, for me they are not mutually exclusive. I don't trust all too many people. If I don't love a person, it's not likely that I trust them either.
Trust to do what to you?

You say trust as if it has some universal meaning and doesn't relate to other concepts apart from love.

Yet you trust that the chef at the restaurant doesn't poison your food.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:49 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,474,545 times
you're comparing apples to oranges. both are good but neither is "wrong"
just don't string people along and be honest with them about why you want to have sex with them and no harm is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships