Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,738,680 times

Advertisements

I want to give online dating a try but it honestly seems frustrating. I want my profile to be able to stand out but my bigger concern is:

1) What is a good way to go about sending that first email?
2) How many back n forths before ladies like to be asked out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,735,076 times
I don't like getting to know people over the internet. I prefer doing that in person, so for me, after going back and forth by email a couple of times, I'd know by then if I find you interesting enough and will want to take it offline at that point, if I do. In fact, not taking if offline and keeping it online would turn me off.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,278,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I want to give online dating a try but it honestly seems frustrating. I want my profile to be able to stand out but my bigger concern is:

I dont really agree with online dating due to the fact there are so many fake profiles its hard to tell whos real and whos not ,i would suggest if you do meet someone your interested in after a few emails try to meet and if they turn you down then somethings not right.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 AM

25 posts, read 77,577 times
1. Find something interesting on her profile to comment on and try to tease or be playful about it in a way. You have to realize women will be getting lots of messages so you have to make yours stand out. Also don't make it more than 4 to 5 sentences max

2. Around 5 to 6 messages is a safe bet. If you feel you guys click and she's really into you then try to ask her out. Ex: (conversation about museums on her profile ) Hey I've been wanting to check out this museum on Saturday want to come with? Otherwise around the 5th or 6th message in I usually just say "Hey I have a busy few days ahead and wont' be able to check this site that often, I'd like to keep talking to you though, here's my #" Yes as a guy I always give her my # first and ask her to text me sometime. I found she's much more receptive and she'll either text me or give me her number and ask me to text her (for some reason girls want the guy to text first). Either way I've had more success giving my # to girls online rather than asking for it.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,372,087 times
Quote:

Writing something then pressing 'send'.

I'd think that finding a couple things in their profile that you find interesting and commenting on those, asking a few questions, saying why you think the two of you would be good match would suffice.

Quote:
I imagine that that would depend on each individual lady.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I dont really agree with online dating due to the fact there are so many fake profiles its hard to tell whos real and whos not ,i would suggest if you do meet someone your interested in after a few emails try to meet and if they turn you down then somethings not right.
I agree person to person is better but I thought I'd broaden my horizons. I just started online dating and I already hate it lol.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 PM

88 posts, read 129,131 times
Quote:

No shame in online dating, that's really all I ever did to find a woman. I usually scoped out their profiles trying to find commonalities and asking her more questions about those. Then I'd give a tiny bit about why I'm looking for someone. Don't be overwhelming the first message, that's key. Try to be succinct but sincere. Usually about 3 to 5 messages before asking them out. I tended to work fast haha at my own peril a lot of times. But its really something you have to feel your way through as you message them. Some women you can tell right off that it'll be more of a challenge and that more messages and patience is needed. Rarely others you find a good connection pretty early on especially if you're really physically attracted to them.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,805,694 times
Tease them in some way. Seriously. What do you have to lose? They might respond and call you a jerk or play along. I don't know. But when someone just asks me questions about myself and talk about myself, I lose interest fast. I quickly don't know what else to talk about after the initial "what do you do for fun?" etc. It's hard to type out your life story on the internet, so find a way to generate some sort of connection where they'll feel comfortable and excited to reply.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,179,167 times
Quote:

The first thing I'll recommend to you at this stage is to curb your expectations and try not to anticipate finding someone. Make an effort, be kind and respectful, try to show some humor and reflect your personality, but at the end of the day don't let it affect your attitude or happiness. Online dating is like volunteering for a needle searching event in a barn full of hay stacks. You aren't likely to find it right away, and if you do it could take years.

On to your questions:

1.) Just try to ask them something about their profile, be respectful, use proper grammar and spelling, don't waste a lot of time thinking about it. Most women aren't worth the time it takes you to read their opening sentence, so don't spend a lot of time on a profile unless you see interest reflected back. I never liked this aspect as a man's responsibility to send a first email to a woman, it's very hard and the expectations from woman to woman vary greatly. I chose eharmony for this very reason, I decided it was worth it to pay so that if I saw a profile I was interested in, I could just simply click a button.

2.) This varies from woman to woman as well. Some want to go out and meet you right away, some need more time to get to know you beforehand. DO WHAT YOU FEEL IS COMFORTABLE. I've found that if you take the time in the process that is most comfortable for you then you're more likely to find someone who shares the similar level of comfort. What I'm saying is: if she drops you because you took too long to ask her out then you probably won't share likeminded approaches to other relational aspects.. If she drops you because you asked her out too soon, then you probably won't share likeminded approaches to other relational aspects.

Part of it is seeing if she's a good fit for YOU, too. Not just trying to align your actions with her personality. Be natural and if you find someone similar to how you think and feel it'll all work out with minimal effort.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,975,722 times
A lot of women don't even read the messages depending on which site you are using. If your picture doesn't do it for her, she may hit delete without even reading the message.
For every 100 messages I send out, I get 2-3 women to respond. Depending on the site...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships