Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,780,869 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I were discussing building trust in our relationship, and we like this list of good behaviors to build trust

Any thing you would add to the list?
  • Be consistent.
  • Be on time.
  • Do what you say you will do.
  • Don't lie -- not even little white lies to your partner or to others.
  • Be fair, even in an argument.
  • Be sensitive to the other's feelings. You can still disagree, but don't discount how your partner is feeling.
  • Call when you say you will.
  • Call to say you'll be home late.
  • Carry your fair share of the workload.
  • Don't overreact when things go wrong.
  • Never say things you can't take back.
  • Don't dig up old wounds.
  • Respect your partner's boundaries.
  • Don’t be jealous.
  • Be a good listener.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:23 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
My girlfriend and I were discussing building trust in our relationship, and we like this list of good behaviors to build trust

• Be consistent.
  • Be on time.
  • Be sensitive to the other's feelings. You can still disagree, but don't discount how your partner is feeling.
  • Don’t be jealous.
  • Be a good listener.

This reminds me of my early physics problems when we would work with certain instances that didn't exist in real life

Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
This reminds me of my early physics problems when we would work with certain instances that didn't exist in real life
Haha it exists. You just have to work at it

Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Call me in 2 yrs and let me know how that is working for you.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Call me in 2 yrs and let me know how that is working for you.
It's been working great for months. Hopefully it will still be working great in 2 years. That's why we've been actually communicating with each other (shocking I know) about how we view relationship issues, and we talk about how we expect to be treated. Just trying to form a good foundation to build on.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:12 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
It's been working great for months. Hopefully it will still be working great in 2 years. That's why we've been actually communicating with each other (shocking I know) about how we view relationship issues, and we talk about how we expect to be treated. Just trying to form a good foundation to build on.
Hey if it works more power to the both of you.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,750 times
Let me add a couple.
Don't ever got to bed mad at each other.
Don't argue with her, she's always right.

Last edited by Sgt. Buzzcut; 01-07-2013 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:

• Be consistent.
  • Be on time.
  • Don’t be jealous.
  • Be a good listener.

While I respect your list there are times where you can't call I know I can't always call when I say I'm going to, My GF is the same she stays so busy herself so in a perfect world that might work. Thr rest I agree with. When people are having a disagreement it's so easy to say something that your going to regret, & it's not untill after ir comes out of your mouth that you know you have said it. I have foot in mouth disease myself. Being jealous is one that can be very hard at times but that's where trust comes in.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
While I respect your list there are times where you can't call I know I can't always call when I say I'm going to, My GF is the same she stays so busy herself so in a perfect world that might work. Thr rest I agree with. When people are having a disagreement it's so easy to say something that your going to regret, & it's not untill after ir comes out of your mouth that you know you have said it. I have foot in mouth disease myself. Being jealous is one that can be very hard at times but that's where trust comes in.
Yeah the phone calls was pretty big for us because we are both young professionals and we work crazy hours and never know when we're coming or going.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,661 times
Quote:
Yeah the phone calls was pretty big for us because we are both young professionals and we work crazy hours and never know when we're coming or going.
I am curious as to how well organized other parts of your relationship are. Not being silly- just asking since we are on the list subject.

Here are my contributions:
  • If ***** hits the fan, don't break this list out of your back pocket and tear it to shreds while walking away
  • properly communicate and don't assume that the other knows the point you are making
  • don't push buttons
  • don't add vegetables to food despite saying not to countless of times
  • if we are both on the couch and one falls asleep, wake that person up before you go to bed
  • be consistent in salt/sugar content when preparing food
  • dont' try to deliberately catch each other in the act of pleasuring ourselves
  • let each other know that you are having a bad day and give each other space
  • don't have try have an hour phone convo on our way home to see each other
  • Don't walk in on each other in the bathroom no matter how long we have dated
  • if you say hurtful things (which will happen) be decent enough to apoligize after.
and there is more- but as you get more involved, these things will definitely help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships