Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

Humorous topic. Hopefully.

A few months ago I was visiting my parents with my wife. While there my mom mentioned that an old crush had seen Dad and relayed her regards. Dad told me that he had seen her while making a stop for a cup of coffee at one point in his work day. She had said hello to him and asked about me, then reportedly turned to a friend of hers and explained, "the one that got away."

When I heard this story I couldn't help but be amused. I said, "Well it sure wasn't for lack of effort on my part!" My mom agreed. She remembered too. I filled my wife in on the back-story. Back in high school I chased this girl, but found myself in competition for her with a guy who was 10 years older than either of us. I continued to chase her even after I joined the service. We talked over the phone and whenever I was back home we always made time for each other. I made my intentions very clear but she never reached a point where she would decide. Eventually other opportunities presented themselves for me and I pursued them.

And of course, my wife was hearing all this. She found the whole mess amusing, and we all agreed that we wouldn't change anything about how our lives had brought us to the present. It was frustrating at the time, but everything happens for a reason and in the end I am as happy as I can possibly be with my wife.

So that's my story. At least one of the ones I know about. I know of one other from my past, but it's not as fun for me to remember.

What's your story? Are you "the one that got away" to someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Katy Perry sucks.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Katy Perry sucks.
I had to google the Katy Perry reference. I'm not really a big music fan and was not aware that she had a song of the same name. This thread idea is completely unrelated to her music.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I had to google the Katy Perry reference. I'm not really a big music fan and was not aware that she had a song of the same name. This thread idea is completely unrelated to her music.
No biggie. I just wanted to put that out there. Carry on.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:40 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
I'm not even getting involved with this one.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
An old FWB I tried to flip into a real relationship back in 2010. Back in 2007 me and this girl had an intense FWB, and eventually I ended it (similar to my situation now, but it was much nastier). We kind of were friends afterwards, but basically she may have contacted me one or twice after we went our separate ways. Fast foward to 2010, I became way more active on facebook, and thought I would look her up. Sexually she was one of the best I've ever had. Anyway I friended her, she added me, and we started chatting.

For the first month it was good. When we were FWB, we didn't talk to each other much. But when we were talking about relationship, she was actually a very funny girl who made me laugh for days, on top of just being what appeared to be a good woman. So what happened? Well, she started getting in the habit of asking me for money, like all the time constantly. I finally got fed up, as when I refused to give her money, she started to withdraw A LOT. She would always say she was sick and depressed everytime I tried to call her. Then one day I called her, and she said she couldn't talk because she was "on her way to the club". so I thought about it and said "If she is so depressed that she can't talk to me, then how is she going to the club"? I confronted her about it, and I basically let her know I felt she was trying to play me. She was, and basically that ended that whole thing. Very bitter sweet.

Here and there over the years I would hit her up on facebook (she had long deleted me as a friend), just to see how she was doing. I let her know that I had moved to Seattle the last time I hit her up, and she was like "it's a shame you're in Washington now". for the last month we've been going back and forth, and she basically told me that she feels stupid for trying to use me. She even said that she knew I would have made a good man, and I would have treated her well, but she couldn't see beyond trying to take my money to settle down.

Unlike the OP I'm not married or seeing anyone. But I would never go back to her. We've tried it twice, and frankly she's not the woman for me. I guess I'm the one for her that got a way.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Are you "the one that got away" to someone else?
Some women think so.

They're wrong.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'm not even getting involved with this one.
The Katy Perry discussion or the on-topic discussion?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
The Katy Perry discussion or the on-topic discussion?
I had one that got away the song came out around the time I started seeing an old flame, it didn't end well it taught me never to look back. To my knowledge I've never been the one they got away.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships