Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,194,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Guys, please think very very carefully about engaging in this sort of behaviour.

It is apparent from a few recent threads that some men find this an acceptable way of meeting women. The fact that this tactic has never been successful is ignored, and cold approaches continue to be recommended as a path to success amongst the frustrated.

It apparently hasn't dawned on them that the reason they are reduced to speaking to strange women in public places, is because they are very unsuccessful in private places.

Please, before you decide to start lurking in art galleries and supermarkets and imposing forcible conversation on busy women, try your luck with one you've met in a less stalky way first. You will probably get a far better response if you pick a suitable candidate, eg, not a woman who doesn't even know you exist and just wants to get home to watch Downton Abbey.

First, try having satisfying conversations with women you do know, or women who are in a bar or club or other place where they are clearly open to offers. Not somewhere where she is minding her own business, going about an ordinary day and selecting asparagus. This is stalky, creepy and wierd, and could end you up in some legal trouble if you persist.

Once you have success with a few women who are already open to you (ie you met them through friends, at work, in the pub or club and they agreed to go out with you, and actually did so), then you can try to pull off saying something witty and offhand to the cute chick in the vege aisle.

Not before.
No worries, I've never cold approached a woman in my life.

None of y'all are worth that kind of time or effort to me, boo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,485,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
It is possible to approach a stranger warmly.
none of that matters if the intent of said conversation isn't shared

Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,918,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Does it get hick real fast once one leaves Chicagoland?
Pretty much. It has been said that the farther south one goes, the less attractive people get and this is true.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,634,566 times
Quote:
Guys, please think very very carefully about engaging in this sort of behaviour.

It is apparent from a few recent threads that some men find this an acceptable way of meeting women. The fact that this tactic has never been successful is ignored, and cold approaches continue to be recommended as a path to success amongst the frustrated.

First, try having satisfying conversations with women you do know, or women who are in a bar or club or other place where they are clearly open to offers. Not somewhere where she is minding her own business, going about an ordinary day and selecting asparagus. This is stalky, creepy and wierd, and could end you up in some legal trouble if you persist.

Not before.
Gentleman,

IF YOU ARE A GOOD LOOKING GUY ALL OF THESE "WOMAN RULES" GO OUT THE WINDOW.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,134,931 times
Dang.

I'm almost on the Mexican border.

That's REALLY south.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 AM

376 posts, read 654,721 times
Quote:

It apparently hasn't dawned on them that the reason they are reduced to speaking to strange women in public places, is because they are very unsuccessful in private places.

Please, before you decide to start lurking in art galleries and supermarkets and imposing forcible conversation on busy women, try your luck with one you've met in a less stalky way first. You will probably get a far better response if you pick a suitable candidate, eg, not a woman who doesn't even know you exist and just wants to get home to watch Downton Abbey.

Once you have success with a few women who are already open to you (ie you met them through friends, at work, in the pub or club and they agreed to go out with you, and actually did so), then you can try to pull off saying something witty and offhand to the cute chick in the vege aisle.

Not before.
I feel you're challenging me now. The largest portion of women that I've had carnal or dating relations with have either been through school (when I was younger) or work with bars being the public exception.

Keep in mind that men are hunters and like new fresh meat. Mentioning how unlikely and difficult it is (and I agree) to cold approach women as you go about your daily business only makes it more interesting as a challenge. I'm not good at this approach myself but I know a few guys that I've obseved that are....might be a new challenge to do it (if I wasn't already in a monogomous relationship) and make it fun while not being creepy/stalky.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,797,786 times
Quote:
Yeah look sorry, but the really good looking women know exactly what I mean.

You guys are thinking of yourselves, what sounds like a good idea for you to do that minute.

Not one thought about whether or not the woman has already been approached 5 times in an hour. (Men only approach good looking women, not ordinary ones).

You can't go anywhere without some creep thinking you're there just for him.

Put yourself in the shoes of, say, Angelina How often do you think she gets approached? Do you think she should be welcoming every time? Does she sometimes have something else on her mind, a headache, a list of chores she's thinking of? But she ALWAYS has to be receptive and grateful?

Too bad if you're an attractive woman. You've got to be nice to everybody, no matter how often you get bugged, what the buggee looks or sounds like, or what pick up line they have.

YES I'M A GOOD LOOKING WOMAN SO I AM OBLIGED TO ENDURE (WITH A SMILE) THE CLUMSY APPROACHES OF EVERY DOUCHE IN TOWN FOR THE NEXT 25 YEARS.

No wonder Bridget Bardot let herself go....
Lol it's because she's a celebrity, who i hope you're not indirectly comparing yourself to. And did you really get approached 5 times in one hour? Do you live in a really small town? People come up to me just to tell me I'm beautiful but it doesn't happen that often. Maybe if you move to the big city you'll get less attention if that's what you really want. I don't see what the big deal is. Just smile, say thanks or i gotta go and go about your day.

Last edited by Gabriella Geramia; 01-08-2013 at 02:42 AM..

Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,437,774 times
So a couple of people in a supermarket say "Hello how are you" out of politeness and sociability and one’s sheer bitterness suddenly compels one to rant on the internet about how beautiful you must be and how men simply cannot keep for trying to sexually proposition you.

Yes men do seem to be the more sexually obsessed of the two sexes but not every attempt at polite conversation is a sexual advance. Certainly not because one finds oneself in one’s own sole opinion to be irresistibly beautiful.

Perhaps the world would just be a better place if everyone everywhere kept their eyes down and made absolutely no eye contact – social contact – verbal contact – or indeed any contact with anyone ever from the street to the supermarket to the library and more. We should all be isolated island bubbles that never - _ever_ - commit the horrific sin of interaction with others.

Thank goodness I do not live in such a cold and lonely world.

My advice is directly polar to the threads. The world is full of people. Say hi to them. Interact with them. Converse with them. Help them. Enjoy them. And who knows who you might meet while doing so. A new friend. A new best friend. Or even a new lover.

We are a social creature. Go be sociable with an open and honest heart.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:36 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,797,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
So a couple of people in a supermarket say "Hello how are you" out of politeness and sociability and one’s sheer bitterness suddenly compels one to rant on the internet about how beautiful you must be and how men simply cannot keep for trying to sexually proposition you.

Yes men do seem to be the more sexually obsessed of the two sexes but not every attempt at polite conversation is a sexual advance. Certainly not because one finds oneself in one’s own sole opinion to be irresistibly beautiful.

Perhaps the world would just be a better place if everyone everywhere kept their eyes down and made absolutely no eye contact – social contact – verbal contact – or indeed any contact with anyone ever from the street to the supermarket to the library and more. We should all be isolated island bubbles that never - _ever_ - commit the horrific sin of interaction with others.

Thank goodness I do not live in such a cold and lonely world.

My advice is directly polar to the threads. The world is full of people. Say hi to them. Interact with them. Converse with them. Help them. Enjoy them. And who knows who you might meet while doing so. A new friend. A new best friend. Or even a new lover.

We are a social creature. Go be sociable with an open and honest heart.
Only if you're ordinary. Because extremely beautiful people only talk to each other. They have a private club behind the alley.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,166,482 times
Quote:
The fact that this tactic has never been successful...
[citation required]

The fact of the matter is that countless people have found success with cold approach. Why you would launch into a rant about this when it's blatantly incorrect is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships