Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,919,032 times

Advertisements

I have an update about taco man and it gets weird. On Friday I was talking to him and we made plans to go out this weekend coming up. Also, he knows I work in marketing/public relations and he suggested we work together both to help launch my upstart company along with his store. Like he mentioned we can both help each other and get to spend time together (his words, not mine). When I wasn't talking to him he kept staring and me and smiling. My mom (who was with as we saw him at the American Legion and stopped to have a drink)said to her it's obvious he's interested.

However, tonight something weird happened but I probably should back up and mention he said his mother thought I was a nice girl and she told my dad this too. I met his sister and she knew who I was. So yes I have met his mother. Tonight I was helping out at an event that he and his mother was at and his mother was talking to a friend of hers about me. She pointed me out to this friend and said "that's Idon'tdateyou". I couldn't hear much else but knew they were talking and his mother was smiling at me, then later on she smiled at me too.

Weird? I wonder what she said but suspect it was nice. I do know he has been saying nice things about me to her such as I am very religious (apparently she is too).

Last edited by Idon'tdateyou; 11-18-2012 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,434,828 times
Sounds like small talk.

Meeting the rents feels nerve-wrecking, especially since you know moms tend to be very protective with their boys. The tension.

No one messes with their baby boys, even more so when they are adults.

The competition mothers have in selecting the best mates for their sons will often make the girl they're dating feel on edge, because in the back of their minds (especially if they're highly involved parents) they're often thinking of the girl Sally who sits on the 3rd row in church, who's studying to be a doctor or ph. d. candidate, well-bread for a potential grandson. A slight exaggeration.

Regardless what she says, continue to be you. Don't let her affect or define you. She holds her judgment either way, and people's feelings towards one another can always change.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,963,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I have an update about taco man and it gets weird. On Friday I was talking to him and we made plans to go out this weekend coming up. Also, he knows I work in marketing/public relations and he suggested we work together both to help launch my upstart company along with his store. Like he mentioned we can both help each other and get to spend time together (his words, not mine). When I wasn't talking to him he kept staring and me and smiling. My mom (who was with as we saw him at the American Legion and stopped to have a drink)said to her it's obvious he's interested.

However, tonight something weird happened but I probably should back up and mention he said his mother thought I was a nice girl and she told my dad this too. I met his sister and she knew who I was. So yes I have met his mother. Tonight I was helping out at an event that he and his mother was at and his mother was talking to a friend of hers about me. She pointed me out to this friend and said "that's Idon'tdateyou". I couldn't hear much else but knew they were talking and his mother was smiling at me, then later on she smiled at me too.

Weird? I wonder what she said but suspect it was nice. I do know he has been saying nice things about me to her such as I am very religious (apparently she is too).
Why is that weird? She was just talking to a friend and telling her about her son's girlfriend. You think people don't talk about you when you're not around or out of ear shot? Don't you talk about other people when they're not around? You're doing it right now! Does that make you weird? You say you think was she was saying was nice so as long as it's not malicious and gossipy, who cares? If you obsess and over-analyze everything little thing people do in relation to yourself, you will drive yourself crazy.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,289,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post

I think you passed weird a few weeks ago and have just pulled up at "wrong".

You two are grown adults, what's with all the pussyfooting around and mixed messages?

If he wants to "spend time with you" why doesn't he just ask you out on a date (without parents)? But no, he's asked you to help him at his shop. How romantic NOT.

This does not seem very promising to me. You two are acting like a pair of tweenagers at school camp.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,463,198 times
This is sounding more and more like it's going to the dreaded "friendzone" if anywhere. I wouldn't put too much stock into his mother knowing who you are and pointing you out to others. I've never met my best guy friend's parents but they sure seem to know a lot about me as evidenced recently by his mom calling him the day after I had surgery just to make sure I was okay.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,337,250 times
I can't understand why you say it's "weird"?..why?, if my son brought home a nice girl to meet me I'd be very happy and want to share with a friend as well....the fact that she smiles at you is good.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,241,655 times
What's weird is the fact that two adults in their 40s can't seem to be around each other without their parents being involved.

The whole thing is just so stunted and creepy. Move on, already.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,716,569 times
Awww yeah. This is getting juicy.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 PM

3,999 posts, read 5,035,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
What's weird is the fact that two adults in their 40s can't seem to be around each other without their parents being involved.

The whole thing is just so stunted and creepy. Move on, already.
I seriously didn't know she was in her 40's until her last thread...guess I keep getting held up by her language. It really seems like she's much, much younger. Anyway, I can't believe at that age that you'd WANT a parent involved in the matchmaking...very creepy indeed.

Tick tock, tick tock...either go out on a date or don't, but do something...all this other stuff is weird.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:26 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,919,032 times
He didn't ask me to help at his store but to help him with a promotion and this was after he mentioned helping me with starting my business. We are going out this weekend so we will see where it goes from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships