Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times

Advertisements

A little lighter-hearted subject matter and a dilemma I often face. I live in the DC area which has a pretty decent extensive public transit system. I do own a pretty young car in good shape. However often when I go on dates in DC or parts of Arlington, it often makes more sense and less hassle for me to take the train or the bus than to drive. It is impossible to find parking in DC or parts of Arlington at night, hell during the day for that matter.

I've gotten different reactions when I've taken public transit to dates. One girl seemed like she really had a problem with me taking a bus to our date, even though she suggested the event in a part of Arlington where parking is a challenge. (needless to say, I ain't seen her since) Another girl was 20 min late to our date finding parking when I just took the train to the station which was steps from the place we were meeting. She though I was the smart one. (damn, I wish that worked out)

So C-D nation would you have a beef with your date using public transit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 04:03 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
It depends on the nature of the date. But if you're meeting someone for lunch or coffee, it seems very modern and efficient to take the metro. It makes perfect sense. Who would even care how you got there? How would they even know how you got there? And if it involved a date where the two of you go somewhere (let's say a museum), it would also make sense to take the metro, if it drops you off nearby. A date for a country drive or a day of skiing obviously would require a car. But I've always used public transport, so maybe that's just me.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
I grew up in Manhattan and currently live in Boston without a car (I've actually never owned a car!), so no.....I can't imagine anyone living in an urban area where public transportation is common to think negatively of someone taking the subway.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
My first date with my husband involved taking the train up to meet him. Trains rule.

Buses not so much.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
A little lighter-hearted subject matter and a dilemma I often face. I live in the DC area which has a pretty decent extensive public transit system. I do own a pretty young car in good shape. However often when I go on dates in DC or parts of Arlington, it often makes more sense and less hassle for me to take the train or the bus than to drive. It is impossible to find parking in DC or parts of Arlington at night, hell during the day for that matter.

I've gotten different reactions when I've taken public transit to dates. One girl seemed like she really had a problem with me taking a bus to our date, even though she suggested the event in a part of Arlington where parking is a challenge. (needless to say, I ain't seen her since) Another girl was 20 min late to our date finding parking when I just took the train to the station which was steps from the place we were meeting. She though I was the smart one. (damn, I wish that worked out)

So C-D nation would you have a beef with your date using public transit?
I guess it would make sense in your case or for anyone else who lives in a city where taking public transportation is the norm, but where I'm from, it usually just means that you can't afford a car and I do require my dates to own a vehicle.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM

632 posts, read 1,031,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Using public transportation to go to a date. Yay, Nay, or whatever?
I think this would only work if you live in an area like New York or Manhattan where most people take the subway.

It would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER fly here in Los Angeles.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
I think this would only work if you live in an area like New York or Manhattan where most people take the subway.

Amtrak stops in Northridge!

Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
I live in an area where we don't have a metro or much of a cab service. The cab service is mostly used for bars to take people home when they are intoxicated.

So I don't know how I would react if someone Showed up to a date in a cab or something. If I were living in a large city it probably wouldn't bother me.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM

52,285 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post

Yeah, I concur.... sad, but true.... La is a major car city, hate to sound judgmental, but if you're taking public transport here in a LA, due to its snooty nature here, are looked as a "poor", but in reality, we all should be taking more public transport... but IDK, it's weird out here....It's just spread out so far, it would be really hard to be practical......

Old 01-08-2013, 04:13 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,274,548 times
Short answer - all other things being equal - yes I would have an issue with it.

We have a good public transport system where I live and nobody uses it.

If you are in a decent sized city, you can go somewhere where it is easy to park. There's certain areas I avoid totally because of this one factor, and areas I frequent for the same reason.

If it is a "hassle" to pick your date up by car, then you shouldn't be going...you are obviously half hearted about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships