Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times

Advertisements

Public transit in DC wouldn't bother me. Public transit in Atlanta would be potentially frightening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Public transit in DC wouldn't bother me. Public transit in Atlanta would be potentially frightening.
Amen to that.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I'm in a car centric state so I don't know how that works, so bear with me.

Do you both just meet at a designated spot, like the restaurant? If that's the case, either can take the transportation they prefer.

Or,

Do you take transportation to her house, and then to the activity; once the date is done you take the public transportation with her to her house, and then to your home?

When I'm in San Francisco I'll sometimes take public transportation due to parking in some areas, but I've never experienced something like that in dating.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
As others mentioned it depends where you live. I've never lived in NYC, but I have used PT for dates in Tokyo and London, and other large European cities. In Atlanta however, its better to take the car, though I have used the MARTA on a date there too (it beats being stuck in traffic and being late, which happened a few times). Where I live now in Sicily, you don't have option to use PT because its nearly non-existent.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Depends on norms for your metro area.
NYC, inside Manhattan, no problem.
DC, with Metro, if it went from A to B, probably ok.
Atlanta, even with Marta, not ok.
Los Angeles, definitely not ok.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,463 times
Or you can just be like a douchey guy I went on a date with once and show up to pick me up on your street bike in the rain, then have your bank card declined after dinner.

WOWZA!

Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
D, on my SOs and my first date he came and got me in his truck but we drove to a metro station. We both agree that driving and parking in DC sucks.

I think it's ok if you discuss it first and are actually going into DC, etc. It can also be kinda fun!

Pick her up and then go to the metro.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Short answer - all other things being equal - yes I would have an issue with it.

We have a good public transport system where I live and nobody uses it.

If you are in a decent sized city, you can go somewhere where it is easy to park. There's certain areas I avoid totally because of this one factor, and areas I frequent for the same reason.

If it is a "hassle" to pick your date up by car, then you shouldn't be going...you are obviously half hearted about it.
I usually meet with my dates at a public location. I doubt my dates (usually b/c I meet them online) would be comfortable being picked up by a guy they've never met live.

Decent sized city is not the only qualifier. I moved from Louisville, KY which is about the same amount population-wise as Washington DC. Finding parking in Louisville was a cinch since they have a crazy amount of inexpensive garage parking and you can usually find street parking easy Downtown and everywhere in the more suburban parts has a oversized parking lot. DC is a totally different story.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Unbelievable answers here. No I don't mind at all. I am a huge supporter of PT and weening people off driving to every single corner of a city. If someone has a problem with me pulling out from a bus stop or metro, take your close-minded ass home.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:06 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times
It just depends on where you live. It would be silly to drive to certain parts of Chicago when it's much easier to just take public transit. I like public transit anyway and respect someone's choice to save money and make the roads less busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships