Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,175,937 times

Advertisements

My parents divorced about 8 years ago when I was 21. It was a hard time for the family and happened very suddently to all but those who were involved. I ask this question because circumstances have evolved and both my parents are finding themselves alone with no one to spend time with, and they both could benefit from sharing a mortgage payment, rather than they both having to pay for their own mortgage. It's a real stain on them financially. Also, my mom can't take care of a home all by herself by fixing things and doing yard work, where my dad could use someone to cook for him to make him healthier and clean the place up a little (which my mom is very good at keeping a nice home).

My mom left my dad one day by calling him when he was at work and telling him she packed her bags and leaving him. This hurt my dad pretty badly. My mom isn't very good at communicating when something bothers her, and my dad can be a really big jerk sometimes. They never did therapy, they really could both benefit from it and I try to encourage them to go.

My mom left my dad for another guy she had worked with for 10 years. Well my mom is in her 50's and this guy was 10 years younger than her. After 8 years of dating the guy refuses to get married and after enough pressure from my mom he's bailed. My dad is bitter and angry, he had a girlfriend for a while that was 10 years younger than him and still had young kids, she pressured him for marriage which he had no interest in and she bailed after giving him an ultimatum. Well she had horrible eating habits and had her stomach stapled on two separate occasions from being fat > skinny> fat > skinny > fat. My dad just went from in great shape to completely overweight and fat.

I'm not suggesting to them to REMARRY, but jeez. They're both alone, both could use the help of a partner in respective areas, and it makes sense for them to at least try to revisit the idea of spending time together and living together again. We spend holidays together with both of them at the same time and they get along fine.

How do I suggest this to my parents, if at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 04:51 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,668,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
My parents divorced about 8 years ago when I was 21. It was a hard time for the family and happened very suddently to all but those who were involved. I ask this question because circumstances have evolved and both my parents are finding themselves alone with no one to spend time with, and they both could benefit from sharing a mortgage payment, rather than they both having to pay for their own mortgage. It's a real stain on them financially. Also, my mom can't take care of a home all by herself by fixing things and doing yard work, where my dad could use someone to cook for him to make him healthier and clean the place up a little (which my mom is very good at keeping a nice home).

My mom left my dad one day by calling him when he was at work and telling him she packed her bags and leaving him. This hurt my dad pretty badly. My mom isn't very good at communicating when something bothers her, and my dad can be a really big jerk sometimes. They never did therapy, they really could both benefit from it and I try to encourage them to go.

My mom left my dad for another guy she had worked with for 10 years. Well my mom is in her 50's and this guy was 10 years younger than her. After 8 years of dating the guy refuses to get married and after enough pressure from my mom he's bailed. My dad is bitter and angry, he had a girlfriend for a while that was 10 years younger than him and still had young kids, she pressured him for marriage which he had no interest in and she bailed after giving him an ultimatum. Well she had horrible eating habits and had her stomach stapled on two separate occasions from being fat > skinny> fat > skinny > fat. My dad just went from in great shape to completely overweight and fat.

I'm not suggesting to them to REMARRY, but jeez. They're both alone, both could use the help of a partner in respective areas, and it makes sense for them to at least try to revisit the idea of spending time together and living together again. We spend holidays together with both of them at the same time and they get along fine.

I suppose you could say it jokingly and see how they react, but I'm guessing if they wanted to get back together, they'd do it on their own without you suggesting it.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,175,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I suppose you could say it jokingly and see how they react, but I'm guessing if they wanted to get back together, they'd do it on their own without you suggesting it.
If you knew my parents, you would understand they're both too stubborn to make that happen themselves. It probably will never happen, but I just with I could help them both somehow.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 PM

837 posts, read 1,290,069 times
You don't. They shouldn't have got together in the first place. Divorce happened. Only very stupid people would do the same mistake twice. They have learned marriages don't work.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 PM

904 posts, read 1,385,801 times
I think you leave this one alone. My guess is too much water has gone under that bridge for it to work. Stranger things have happened though, but I think it would have to be a realization that they come to on their own.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:12 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,440,739 times
Quote:

I think you should stay out of it. I know you love them both but this isn't your place. They are only in their 50's not elderly folk. They can take care of their own affairs I'm sure.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,668,911 times
Quote:
If you knew my parents, you would understand they're both too stubborn to make that happen themselves. It probably will never happen, but I just with I could help them both somehow.
Maybe they'll find new partners. It sounds like you think they won't so they might as well just settle for being roommates. I understand though. My parents really get on each other's nerves but as they're getting older, they probably realize that it's better to have an annoying partner that can help them out than to be alone. They've never had any really serious relationship issues though.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM

201 posts, read 236,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
You don't. They shouldn't have got together in the first place. Divorce happened. Only very stupid people would do the same mistake twice. They have learned marriages don't work.
This

Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,932,262 times
Quote:
Your mom's a CHEATER. You know it, your dad knows it, and your mom's ex-lover/"co-worker" knows it. Unless your mom is begging your dad to forgive him, your dad should not take that cheater back.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,787,365 times
Their lives, their business, not yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships