Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:21 PM

518 posts, read 1,004,724 times

Advertisements

I know for me, this is the case. When I found out that my significant other likes the same kind of music that I do while we were dating, that did influence the way I felt about him. I can honestly say that if he listened to mostly (or only) country music or classic rock, I probably wouldn't have allowed my feelings for him to escalate. Music is a BIG part of my life and, I like what I like. Which is not to say that couples can't have different tastes in music, because a lot of them do. It's just that country and classic rock are types of music that I couldn't ever tolerate on a daily or regular basis. Hearing it makes my skin crawl; I'd rather listen to nothing than listen to that type of music, but that's just me. Most people have a certain type of music that they just couldn't or wouldn't want to tolerate on a regular basis, no matter how appealing or awesome the person they're interested in is.

So, if you really liked a particular guy or woman and liked a lot of things about them but then found out that the music they listen to is music that you absolutely can't stand or couldn't see yourself tolerating, would that be the defining factor as to whether you pursued that person further?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 02:25 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,977 times
Not at all.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,297 times
Nope...this would be among the least of my concerns and music is very important in my life also.

Just a question though..Classic Rock is a broad term. Are you saying you would have trouble dating someone who listened to music made before 1980 (maybe 1990 these days)?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Music is a huge part of my life, so yes, it's very important to me.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 PM

518 posts, read 1,004,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Nope...this would be among the least of my concerns and music is very important in my life also.

Just a question though..Classic Rock is a broad term. Are you saying you would have trouble dating someone who listened to music made before 1980 (maybe 1990 these days)?
No, there is some music from that era that I like. But, Jimmy Hendrix, The Doors, Grand Funk Railroad, Three Dog Night, Simon and Garfunkel and other music like that is just something that I couldn't and wouldn't listen to anymore. Ever. I've had to tolerate it throughout most of my life because that was the only music that was available. The music that's prominent now is what really makes my body move (because I love to dance!) and it's what puts me in an awesome mood.

So, if you were dating someone you were very interested in and all they basically listened to was opera music or another type of music that you didn't really like, you would just tolerate it and subject yourself to listening to it on a regular basis whenever you were with this person? You're a better person than I.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,476 times
It's a definite factor for me, but it's more a matter of quality than genre. The same goes for tastes in movies, food, or anything else.

For example, if somebody likes country or jazz more than I do, I can accept that we just have different preferences, same as if they like soul food or tapas more than I do. If somebody likes bad music or food, however, no matter what genre it's in, then they have bad taste, and I can't date them. Obviously there's a fair amount of subjectivity involved in what is "good" or "bad," and I would never expect anyone to agree with me completely, but there are some things (say, Justin Bieber or McDonald's) that are universally considered to be of low quality by anyone who knows what's up, and are giant red flags for someone having bad taste.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
It would be a total turn-on if a girl loved Old-school hip-hop or Machine Gun Kelly like I do.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
If we have more in common than ... not in common? ... I think that would be fine. If he likes a narrow selection of music that I dislike, and if he doesn't really like my music, what are we going to listen to while we clean the house, have sex, go on long car rides, etc.? I love music. I can look the other way about Nickelback as long as that's not all he likes.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotamkin_Renesmee View Post
No, there is some music from that era that I like. But, Jimmy Hendrix, The Doors, Grand Funk Railroad, Three Dog Night, Simon and Garfunkel and other music like that is just something that I couldn't and wouldn't listen to anymore. Ever. I've had to tolerate it throughout most of my life because that was the only music that was available. The music that's prominent now is what really makes my body move (because I love to dance!) and it's what puts me in an awesome mood.

So, if you were dating someone you were very interested in and all they basically listened to was opera music or another type of music that you didn't really like, you would just tolerate it and subject yourself to listening to it on a regular basis whenever you were with this person? You're a better person than I.
Well my tastes are very eclectic in music..I don't think there's a genre where I couldn't find something I liked.

I think it would be almost impossible to find someone where you didn't differ on your musical tastes somewhat..even in the same genre.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:02 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
Rap and most, if not all new Country is garbage to my ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships