Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 PM

915 posts, read 2,129,230 times

Advertisements

Of course, as I understand it, genuine love is concern for another person beyond the boundaries of your own ego. You can love someone for decades and they can be unaware of it. Some say that some people can be in love and not be aware of it, themselves. Too deep for me.

I could be mistaken, but I do think this person cares for me, but not in the way I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I'm in my early 60's, single, and the person in my life with whom I have the most in common, who is a friend, a protege and has no idea that I have this crush on them. And yet they are so kind to me, and say such sweet things to and about me. I am making myself unhappy, thinking about them and I need to stop, but I see them regularly, text and Facebook. This is a really lovely person. I'm being ridiculous.
Awww this is so cute. I don't know what to tell you though. I've had a crush like that before.

What you're afraid of is rejection because it feels like it's not "right" yet you can't ignore your strong attraction.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Awww this is so cute. I don't know what to tell you though. I've had a crush like that before.

What you're afraid of is rejection because it feels like it's not "right" yet you can't ignore your strong attraction.
Very sweet response to my post. You nailed it. I'm not so much afraid of rejection as of losing a professional relationship, or hurting or embarrassing anyone.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Very sweet response to my post. You nailed it. I'm not so much afraid of rejection as of losing a professional relationship, or hurting or embarrassing anyone.
I hear ya.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 PM

35 posts, read 43,880 times
So revealing your feelings could put the relationship at risk? Wow, tough cookie.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Some sort of lesbian deal? Not that it matters, a person in "their" late 30s is old enough to make a decision.
My attraction's not based on sexuality in that way. It's too difficult to explain briefly. But no, this is an Hispanic male. He's never married and may be gay for all I know.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
My attraction's not based on sexuality in that way. It's too difficult to explain briefly. But no, this is an Hispanic male. He's never married and may be gay for all I know.
Just out of curiosity, what's up with playing the pronoun game? Did I mistake you for being a female?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's up with playing the pronoun game? Did I mistake you for being a female?
No, I'm female...

Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM

I've come to the conclusion that he is not interested in me, but just sort of exploting me --not financially or sexually--but for any professional knowledge he can glean from me. I had this exact same problem with this person before when I worked with them; I became infatuated and he had no clue I felt that way.

I'm teaching him today and I think after that I'm going to email him and tell him it's his last lesson, and I think I'm going to haveto tellhim why:

>>I'm sorry, but today was our last lesson. The mistake that I made with you last time you studied with me, I made again. And that is, when you constantly stay in touch with some single, unmarried woman it is very possible that SHE WILL THINK YOU LIKE HER, AS A WOMAN. But you don't feel that way about me; you're just trying to exploit me, not financially or sexually, but for whatever music knowledge you can glean from me. It's upsetting, depressing. I thought I could handle it this time, but I can't. All I do is think about you. And I know you don't feel the same way. I wish you the best.

It just all seems to pointless and embarrassing and I feel so sad. And, on my side, my feelings are probably, at least in large part, a function of having survived cancer and being healthy again. I want to re-enter the world and have some sort of personal life. But not with this person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships