Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:42 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofRandomThoughts View Post
YOu can be near a person and have a terrible relationship.

And sometimes emails, phone and other types of communication can be just as effective as seeing a person. Depends on what you say.

It is a relationship if BOTH of you acknowledge it as such.

And I repeat, people LIE to you when they are in your face.
Distance is not the deciding factor.
What kind of person they are is what makes the difference.

If you get a good one then you have a good relationship no matter where you are.
If he/she is no good it matters not at all if they are 1000 miles away or 1 mile away. No good is no good.

I have had long distance and of course close proximity relationships. What mattered was the person or persons involved.
All true...but it makes it much much easier for someone to be deceptive if they don't live nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
did i tell you bout the time i was doing internet dating?
gal in nashville im in s. cal. we emailed we exchanged photos we phoned she wanted me to come for a visit. i did. met her in parking lot of white castle burgers. one eyed hunchback who had cropped her photo to hide the problem. said not a word wined and dined her left very early in the morning to memphis to stay with my uncle for a week. never to return.
long distance dater no more.

But you can see why she hid her flaw, it must be very hard for her. Maybe she feels if she can win someone over with her personality first...
But I agree on the other hand, about how it would feel deceptive.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 8,944 times
Yes, they can. I am currently in a long distance relationship. I live in Northern Kentucky and she lives St.John's Newfounland, Canada. I am not going to lie, its hard to be that far away from her and not being able to be with her. When we are not able to talk (because of work etc) it sometimes "wears" on us but, the only thing we can do is make the best out of this current situation. Thank goodness for the internet and technology. And thank goodness she has free long-distance.

Phone calls and instant messaging can work wonders when in a long distance relationship belive me I know. If two people are in love then thats all that matters. It takes a certain type of person to be in a long distance relationship and it does take trust. I trust my girlfriend to no end because she is a very honest person.

All in all they can work. If you find the one you love then go for it and dont let anyone "get you down about it".

Old 11-18-2007, 05:21 AM

672 posts, read 2,125,374 times
Default I believe they can work

When I first met the woman I'm now with, we lived in the same state, but in different towns. For a long time there we only saw each other on the weekends. Even now, we don't see each other every day, although we speak on the phone pretty much every day. But she is a good person, and I have never distrusted her at any time. I have never cheated on her, nor would I ever do that. We are both middle aged people if that makes any difference. I think it might matter how old the people involved are. When I was twenty or so, I don't believe I would have been satisfied with a relationship even like the one I now have. But, the point is, I agree with those who say that its the quality of the people, not the distance involved.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:23 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Do you feel that you can trust a long distance relationship?
no i can't.....actually i am in one right now....we are close enough to drive to see each other every weekend but its about an hour drive and our schedules make it a long distance relationship.....i find that its hard to trust her.....i am thinking of ending it and freeing both of us up to see if there is anyone else that we are passing up out there

Old 11-18-2007, 08:00 PM

I met one who wanted me to come stay at his place for a weekend, when I hadn't met him yet. I mentioned going to a hotel and he didn't like that.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:00 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
My husband and I had a long distance relationship for 15 months before we got married. I was in Texas, he in NC. We absolutely trusted each other.

As others have said, it depends on the people involved. We spent hours communicating every day. When we were both at home, we were talking. We had web cams and used NetMeeting - free long distance and video. We each had headsets with cables long enough to reach anywhere in our respective apartments.

We found creative ways to date. Every Friday night was movie night. We'd both rent the same movie and watch it "together." We played games online. Sometimes we didn't even talk, but we usually had the video going. It wasn't a possessive thing -we just loved each other's company. He was the first person I spoke to every morning, and the last one I spoke to every evening.

Don't get me wrong - we still lived our lives. I had season tickets for hockey, and spent time with friends. He had his own interests. However, we always knew what was going on with the other person. Not because we had to, but because we wanted to.

We saw each other about once a month, for a minimum of four days each visit. Leaving was horrible, and we missed each other terribly. We both counted the days to the next visit.

Was it worth it? HELL. YES. The day we got married, I looked at him and realized that it would never be long distance again. That was the happiest moment of my life, and made it all worthwhile.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
did i ever tell you about my internet romance? the one where we did the enternet then the email then the phone then she wanted me to come to nashville? then i went met her in the white castle parking lot, a one eyed hunchback that carefully cropped all photos shown me? great stuff. long distance romance boy no more.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:07 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
did i ever tell you about my internet romance? the one where we did the enternet then the email then the phone then she wanted me to come to nashville? then i went met her in the white castle parking lot, a one eyed hunchback that carefully cropped all photos shown me? great stuff. long distance romance boy no more.
Why yes, I believe you did.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
oooppss old guy stuff im repeating my stories. well this is a repeat thread so i guess i should not apologize too much huh? hope you had a good thanksgiving.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-22-2007 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships