Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,024 times

Advertisements

I am very very lost and confused. I am turning to an online forum, because I can't talk to anyone about this. I have been hiding it from my family and friends.

I started working at this job five years ago and instantly had a crush on one of my co-workers. I never pursued anything because both of us were in relationships. He had a live-in girlfriend and they ended up having a kid. Things were rough for them and she left him. It was on and off after that. He tried to make if work and get her back, but she didn't want him back. I sometimes wondered what he did, but left it at that - wondering. Being in a long relationship myself, I always thought that it was just a crush on my co-worker and that I would wake up one day and it will be gone.

But that wasn't the case. My feelings got bigger and bigger as time went on. I was jealous when he would talk with other girls in the office and if they were flirting with him. It would annoy me. I wouldn't show it, but it was eating me inside. I even thought about me being with him. How would it work, he has a kid - I don't have any kids. Recently, he started openly flirting with me. I really wanted this guy. I have wanted him all along. Is it possible that I can have him at the end? We went on a Saturday night date, lunch date, middle of the week dates... I broke things off with my boyfriend. The night I broke up with my boyfriend is the night this guy stopped giving me attention.

Now, I understand that he didn't want anything more. I understand that I was just another girl that he could sleep with, but for me that wasn't it. I really-really wanted this guy. I made myself completely vulnerable and would have done anything to be with him. I tried to give him space, thinking that maybe he is scared to get into a relationship with me thinking I might go back to my ex.

My problem is that I see this guy every day, but Sunday. I pretend like nothing happened. I don't let him see that I am hurting inside. I can't wait to leave the office so that I don't have to hide my pain. My family and friends think that I am hurting over my recently ended relationship, but I am not. I would want nothing more but to be with him.

I am well aware that I should have never allowed myself to get involved with someone in the office, but I did. I thought about it long and hard, and knew that it was wrong but still did it - Hoping deep down that it would be one of those stories where it all works out.

I don't know how to deal with this!!!! Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
You seem to have slept with someone who doesn't care about you very much and cheated on your boyfriend several times in the process. You said that you didn't pursue your crush on him before because "both of us were in relationships," but that did not seem to matter when he turned his attention to you. My guess is that he knew you were ready to have sex with him whenever he finally needed it.

It sucks that you hurt yourself in the process, and probably your ex as well. There is nothing to really "do" or "deal with," except to wait until you stop hurting. I don't see any point to pining over him or hoping he will turn out to be good for you. I think all you can do is deal with the mess you made by throwing yourself at this guy.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:09 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You seem to have slept with someone who doesn't care about you very much and cheated on your boyfriend several times in the process. You said that you didn't pursue your crush on him before because "both of us were in relationships," but that did not seem to matter when he turned his attention to you. My guess is that he knew you were ready to have sex with him whenever he finally needed it.

It sucks that you hurt yourself in the process, and probably your ex as well. There is nothing to really "do" or "deal with," except to wait until you stop hurting. I don't see any point to pining over him or hoping he will turn out to be good for you. I think all you can do is deal with the mess you made by throwing yourself at this guy.
What she^^ said.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Below are a few links to various articles about your subject. Below those links are links to support groups online. I hope that you will find peace in yourself. I'm not sure that you should tell your family, or anyone except a very close friend that doesn't work w/ you. Try to find some support online, or among very trustworthy friends. I would not disclose anything to other work peers, it would just make you vulnerable to office gossip.
Articles:
How to get over an office romance - All Woman - JamaicaObserver.com
Office romance gone sour? 6 ways to get over a work breakup | Love + Sex - Yahoo! Shine
Office Romance - AskMen

Support online:
Break Up Support and Advice | So You've Been Dumped
Surviving A Break Up

Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,416 times
This is why they say don't dip your pen in the company ink

Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
It is never a good idea to sleep with a co-worker or a boss or an employee you supervise. I guess I'd count it as a lesson learned.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,493 times
Awwww, I feel so sorry for............................................... ........your ex-boyfriend!

Old 01-25-2013, 05:36 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Anyone feel sorry for this chick? I sure don't. She got what she deserved IMO.

Hopefully her ex rebounds nicely on Valentines day and finds himself with a woman who really wants him.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:57 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused1985 View Post
I am very very lost and confused. I am turning to an online forum, because I can't talk to anyone about this. I have been hiding it from my family and friends.

I am well aware that I should have never allowed myself to get involved with someone in the office, but I did. I thought about it long and hard, and knew that it was wrong but still did it - Hoping deep down that it would be one of those stories where it all works out.

I don't know how to deal with this!!!! Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
JustJulia said it beautifully.
Live and Learn girl and in the future, try not to let your fantasies/crush cloud your judgement.
You cared more for this guy than he ever did for you and part of the reason is because your fantasies portrayed him to be someone that he clearly wasn't.
One of the best websites I know for relationships is BaggageReclaim, start reading some articles there and it will help you.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,045 times
Watch Mad Men.

There is an episode there when Don Draper bonks his secretary and immediately regrets it.

Act like her. I think she threw a cup at him or something.

She ended up with a good reference and a new job.

Don't act like me - carrying on like nothing happened. You'll end up with no reference and no job either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships