Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM

206 posts, read 269,514 times

Advertisements

This is one of the very few situations where the answer to this question is not "RIGHT NOW!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 04:47 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,690,389 times
Just check in with her every now and then until her divorce is final. Don't ask her out until then.

Filing doesn't mean anything is some cases. I know someone who filed in 2006 and to this day, they are still married and living together, yet still talk about divorcing.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,350,345 times
I wouldn't say she needs to be divorced but at this point it doesn't seem like they're even separated? I would wait for a little while after she is officially separated at the very least. Rushing in now will just end up in confusion and heartache for both of you.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,295,753 times
id send her a link from youtube of a song "it's sad to belong to someone else when the right one comes along"

ask her if she likes the song.....see what type of response you get

Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,365,851 times
lol, i wont be surprised if the lady AND her husband, are using the whole "divorce" story to get free labor out of you guys.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 PM

5,516 posts, read 9,515,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
lol, i wont be surprised if the lady AND her husband, are using the whole "divorce" story to get free labor out of you guys.
No. She bought the house before she was engaged. And, the reason for the "time crunch" isn't at all related to the divorce. (although the divorce might be related to the time crunch)

Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,237,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Haven't had much luck posting threads in this sub-forum, but here goes anyway.

I'm fixing up a house in a neighborhood that is revitalizing. I have a neighbor--down the street and around the corner--who is doing the same thing.

I have helped her occasionally over the last year, when I wasn't too busy with my own project.

She was recently married, but her husband turned out to be kind of a deadbeat, and she says she will probably be getting a divorce.

She has run into a time crunch, so I've been helping out more lately, (along with many of her friends and without any help from hubby) to help her meet her deadline. (unrelated to her potential divorce)

I always thought she was attractive, but as I get to know her better lately, I'm finding myself more and more attracted to her. So, my question is about timing. Should I ask her out next time I have the opportunity? That seems like it might be in bad taste, since she isn't divorced, yet, but I also don't want someone else asking first, either. I'm also worried that she might think I'm expecting something for the help I've given. (I'd like to think I would have helped just as often, regardless of gender or looks, but it probably helped that she is an attractive woman. ) I don't want to ruin a potential friendship, even if she isn't interested in a relationship, and I think asking her out at the wrong time could ruin everything. Maybe I can't ask her out at all now, if I want to stay friends?

Any advice? (besides staying away from the drama altoghether)
Once the divorce is underway, float a trial balloon. It's not that hard to say to her, "Look, I know you're going through all this crap with the divorce and all, and I don't want to complicate your life. But once the divorce comes through, I was hoping that we might grab dinner or something." And then go back to grouting the tile in her bathroom.

Boom. No muss, no fuss. Non-threatening, low pressure, and demonstrating empathy for her current confused frame of mind.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,016,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
She was recently married, but her husband turned out to be kind of a deadbeat, and she says she will probably be getting a divorce.
Any advice? (besides staying away from the drama altoghether)
She recently got married and now is thinking about a divorce? I'd stay clear unless you want to face hellfire, be thought of as a royal a*hole, and maybe get your ass beaten. Really, the period of being a newly wed (~1-3years) is highly emotionally charged for both spouses.

And in your case, neither spouse has filed for divorce. That small technicality is such a tremendous emotional huddle that no one takes divorce seriously until it happens. Ask any divorce lawyer, one of the spouses has to have the balls to file for divorce before it becomes a realistic possibility. Stay away, and consider yourself forewarned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships