Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 PM

650 posts, read 701,621 times

Advertisements

I don't know whether or not the following is a normal thing or not. I put up what I guess is a very attractive? picture of me on OkCupid when I joined up last week, or maybe the following happens to most new guys on the singles sites but in one week, I had over 150 women click on my picture and read my profile with a small number coming back more than once to click my picture and read my profile.

Only trouble is that only a few actually wrote to me afterwards.

I was wondering if those women are expecting me to write first.

If a woman is interested, does she write a few words to the man? Or are we still trapped in a time where its still somehow concerned "unfeminine" for the woman to make the first advance beyond looking at the man. You know, maids in waiting and all that (hopefully) archaic history channel (I HOPE) junk.

What's the story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
Some will write if truly interested, some expect a man to make the first move. If someone visits several times, they may be hoping to attract your attention and hope you'll initiate contact. Of course, it could just be morbid fascination and they'll reject you if you write - or just ignore you. Be prepared for rejection, handle it well, don't be offended, and just write another. If not interested in someone who contacts you, politely say so and move on.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I'm on POF and I get about 10 messages a day. It doesn't matter.

One thing I've noticed is that most of the attractive girls write well thought out messages, and the ugly ones send one word messages like "hi". I think it has to do with their confidence levels. I rarely will respond to lame messages unless theyre extremely attractive. I give the hot ones an extra chance, but if they don't write anything good I move on to the next.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,064,992 times
From my experience, the man goes first. If you find any of these women interesting, write them an email specifically for them that ,if possible, demonstrates you've read their profile. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 PM

803 posts, read 1,667,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
I was wondering if those women are expecting me to write first.

If a woman is interested, does she write a few words to the man? Or are we still trapped in a time where its still somehow concerned "unfeminine" for the woman to make the first advance beyond looking at the man. You know, maids in waiting and all that (hopefully) archaic history channel (I HOPE) junk.

What's the story?

Just depends on the woman. If she's the type that expects you to be the initiator in real-life situations then she probably never initiates on a dating site. Some of them will even say it in their profile — directly or indirectly — that they want you to initiate contact first. When I had a profile up I received messages from women all across the spectrum, although the more attractive ones used the wink/meet me/some other feature to get my attention.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 PM

432 posts, read 1,227,946 times
Maybe your just the "Pin Up poster" guy that us girls just want to look at but not meet!

Last edited by back2M; 02-03-2013 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: a

Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I never wrote to men first, but I would sometimes send a wink, which IMO is the modern equivalent of dropping my hanky. I think it's the guy's job to lead, but that's me. If 100 people here say the woman should write first, does that mean you'll not write anyone? If you find someone who looked at your profile attractive, why not just write regardless, what do you have to lose?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you find someone who looked at your profile attractive, why not just write regardless, what do you have to lose?
Bingo.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
Maybe your just the "Pin Up poster" guy that us girls just want to look at but not meet!
I could live with that.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I never wrote to men first, but I would sometimes send a wink, which IMO is the modern equivalent of dropping my hanky. I think it's the guy's job to lead, but that's me. If 100 people here say the woman should write first, does that mean you'll not write anyone? If you find someone who looked at your profile attractive, why not just write regardless, what do you have to lose?
OkCupid doesn't have a wink/flirt function but to answer your question and I'm NOT looking for advice or any help about it, I'm rejection phobic to the nth degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships