Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times

Advertisements

So here's what I don't get. Why are so many people so anti-marriage to the point that they think that nobody should ever get married and they can't wait for it to die out (which I highly doubt it will). I understand not wanting to get married - I really do. We all want different things out of life. But while I don't think that EVERYONE should get married - I don't understand why some people seem to think that NOBODY should get married. Why not just do what's best for you and let others do what's best for them? Some people really love being married. I don't see what the big deal is. Can anyone explain all the hatred about something that is not mandatory?

Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
I believe a majority of people aren't meant to be married. They will try and fail and add to the statistic. However, there are a few, who I believe take the time and test the waters before making the decision-and those people I am happy for. Those people I find are likely to make it.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Excellent thread! I have really wondered why there was so much hatred towards marriage around this forum too. Sure, I understand not everyone wants to be married, but the attitude greatly exceeds not wanting it for themselves. They are convinced it is no good for anybody.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:40 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So here's what I don't get. Why are so many people so anti-marriage to the point that they think that nobody should ever get married and they can't wait for it to die out (which I highly doubt it will). I understand not wanting to get married - I really do. We all want different things out of life. But while I don't think that EVERYONE should get married - I don't understand why some people seem to think that NOBODY should get married. Why not just do what's best for you and let others do what's best for them? Some people really love being married. I don't see what the big deal is. Can anyone explain all the hatred about something that is not mandatory?
Actually it's a question which has many no right or wrong answers.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
My guess is that they're afraid that people will get married and actually be happy..then they'll have to come to the realization that they may have missed out on something.

Just like when people can't do something, then turn around and say 'well, I didn't want to anyway' when they realized they may have missed out.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Actually it's a question which has many no right or wrong answers.
Well, what's your answer? Why do you hate marriage so much?

Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
Another thing that could make my head spin is if marriage is so bad, why did the gays and lesbians fight so hard for the ability to marry?

If I couldn't have something that everyone else hated, I wouldn't give a thought to it.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Well, what's your answer? Why do you hate marriage so much?
I plead the 5th!

My grandfather told my father this many eons ago: "If you have to pick up a rock pick one up that you can carry yourself because if you pick up a rock that you need help carrying and he gets tired he can drop that rock on you." There's truth to this IMO and it goes with your question if one understands its meaning.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Because of the high divorce rates, being taken to the cleaners, marriage doesn't benefit men, the bias toward men in the court system, etc (generally)

Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Mostly afraid and they transform their fear into angry righteousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships