Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 12:28 AM

40 posts, read 341,678 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Here an observation: Its quite difficult to tell if someone is single, married or with a significant other unless you gotten to know the person? They should have to wear a different color to make it easy on single people.

The first thing that I notice on a person is whether they are wearing a wedding/engagement ring in their finger.

Example: The other day I was talking to a woman who I noticed had no ring on her finger, so I assumed she was single, and ended up finding toward the end of the conversation she was married. What did we say about assuming things?

Some married folks, I guess, don't wear their wedding rings? Why is that? I guess it could be for a medical reason or job related?

When you approach someone of interest do you generally look if they are wearing their wedding ring/engagment ring? If not, do you assume they are single? Of course they could have girl/boyfriend? The struggles singles go through nowdays.

Last edited by HappyinNY; 09-23-2007 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 01:16 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,330 times
Well you not alone in this.
Yes the first and easiest thing is to look for a ring. I was old school though. Now a days I notice that there are quite a few couples that either don't wear a ring, or are doing without the whole marriage thing. This doesn't seem to be age dependent either. I have seen older couples in the same situation (30s through 50s).

On the bright side you made her day by lightly hitting on her! Yea she still has it!
Gets tough though when the husband rounds the corner with a kid or two in tow!

Some will say to watch what is in the cart, this may give a clue to family life.

good luck!

Old 09-23-2007, 06:00 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I took my wedding band and rings off the day after my dh did something so vile and horrible to me and have not put them back on. That was July 21. He asked me if I pawned them, no, but I will not put them back on. He told me I was advertising myself.

I said the only men hitting on me are the 85 year olds in the drs office that I work in that have been doing it all along...

He said people are looking, you just dont know it, I said, well, if they are, they were before.

I finally moved out, because he would not, he still wears his,

no idea where this is going.

So, maybe like in the old days, if a woman was an Adultress, she wore an A

If she is married, she should wear an M, single, an S, separated, SEP, Divorced, D
Divorced with kids... DWK, single w kids...SWK

Something like that...in respect to a certain color, what will the men do? What should they wear, and will they actually wear it?

Last edited by Pikantari; 09-23-2007 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: Sorry, coffee has not kicked in yet... :)

Old 09-23-2007, 06:28 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
I know alot of peple who don't wear their wedding bands - Who Am I to question them, on why? Perhaps they gained weight, can't wear the ring anymore? Who knows.

I get guys looking more at other things, then my hands

I think when approaching a woman or even a man - spurt out something related to them being married. Less time wasted.....

Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
In approaching a person, there is probably no way you can tell for sure if they're married or single.
Most of the time, after talking to a person for a few minutes, you can tell by actions, words, body language, etc. if they are married or single.
Intuition lets you know and then you can ask.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:48 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,901 times
Also, unfortunately, sometimes it doesn't seem to matter to people if they are married or not.....

Old 09-23-2007, 10:40 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
Also, unfortunately, sometimes it doesn't seem to matter to people if they are married or not.....
That is very true. I wear my rings and Im almost 58. Lately I been getting hit on by 40 year olds. What the HECK is up with that? Is this a new fad like baggy pants and backwards hats .

And yes I do make it clear Im long term married. I think its rude to flirt and lead people on and then get all indignant. Especially if they dont realize youre married. I usually just bring the Huz into the conversation. " My husband would really like this." etc.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:54 AM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times
Sometimes you can see an indentation where the wedding band has been on the finger, especially with men. But moreover, I can't tell who is married or not. It is too risky to walk up to someone at the store. People are there to shop and want to get out, aren't there to socialize.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:54 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,578 times
Cool Female perspective...

Quote:
On the bright side you made her day by lightly hitting on her! Yea she still has it!
Gets tough though when the husband rounds the corner with a kid or two in tow!
I look for signs too like the obvious one... "the ring"...I know of an acquaintance that has admitted to me that sometimes she doesn't wear her rings when she goes out to dinners (without her husband) for work.
She said she likes the attention she gets when she's not wearing it.
She is happy in her marriage but likes to get the guys to flirt at dinners and trade shows and whatever...she has never taken any of the guys up on their flirtations...but who am I to say it's right or wrong for her...I just know I wouldn't do that.

Quote:
Some will say to watch what is in the cart, this may give a clue to family life.
Yep, the guys with a hand held basket is a sure sign they're single....lol

I use to work at a bank located in a grocery store...it was a great place to keep your eyes and ears open and be observant.
You start picking up on the regulars and noticing different things...like shopping habits, married, single...kids, no kids...ex wife ...lol

Old 09-23-2007, 03:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
They call you at unusual times, like middle of the afternoon on a Sat, wife is out shopping, only from work. Now a days there are lots of ways to check the martial status of someone. I check the county records online.
Of course, it is really simple when their girlfriend calls and ask if you know him because she found your number in his pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships