Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've also been trying to eat more salads, more veggies, I need to get bette with the fruit. I just perfer the savory of veggies over the sweetness of fruit.
That's actually a good thing though. Fruits contain a lot of sugar and though it's natural sugar, it's still not wise in excess.

I like raw veggies moreso than cooked veggies and I've been on a sugar snap pea kick lately. They are in season and so darn yummy (and fun to eat!).

Tracking can be an eye opener. Even though I don't eat full on meals most of the times, there were some days where I went way over in points because I kept thinking "I haven't eaten that much"...and then I wrote it down

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
That was me, BTW, it turned out I was eating red meat every other day on average and I would have said at most twice a week with maybe an occasional extra serving here or there. Also much less salad and other vegetables than I should have been even though I had felt like I was eating lots of the green stuff. Anyhow I did make changes based on keeping track of what I was eating and at my physical this year I was down well into the the healthy zone. I agree with something SD said, there have been rewards in that it has gotten me eating things I never tried before and I have to admit some of them I like. It turns out life without copious quantities of charred red meat is not so bad.
Does red meat contribute that much to high cholesterol? Or is it more the lack of dietary fiber and good fats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I still like my read meats. Also pork, pasta and fish. A weight of less than 200 pounds is in sight. It feels good. I feel good as I did before cancer.
Bunch of skinny people on this board! Great work SD!! It's a ***** sometimes but I have always found the more success I have, the more I want to succeed.

I don't eat red meat or pork anymore and I find that I really don't miss it at all. I used to get a hankering here and there for it, but not so much anymore.

My issue is always that I graze too much and I wind up picking through the day. It adds up fast!

I don't eat a lot of bread...rarely have a sandwhich and I don't tend to eat bread (like italian bread) for the sake of eating it. I don't cook a lot of carbs anymore come to think of it...out of laziness...LOL
Potatoes, rice..etc. They all take more than 5 minutes to cook. I like that my husband can throw something on the grill and I can have veggies and a salad done in less than 15 minutes.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
A year ago at my physical the doctor complained about my cholesterol and I received an admonishment to get it down in one year or say hello to medication for the rest of the journey. She recommended getting some application that could keep track of foods I ate the idea being not so much to count calories and the like but to keep it honest insofar as wishful thinking. The sort of thing where you think, "I haven't had much red meat, I deserve this steak" when actually you have had your share and then some.

That was me, BTW, it turned out I was eating red meat every other day on average and I would have said at most twice a week with maybe an occasional extra serving here or there. Also much less salad and other vegetables than I should have been even though I had felt like I was eating lots of the green stuff. Anyhow I did make changes based on keeping track of what I was eating and at my physical this year I was down well into the the healthy zone. I agree with something SD said, there have been rewards in that it has gotten me eating things I never tried before and I have to admit some of them I like. It turns out life without copious quantities of charred red meat is not so bad.
Good for you!

Tracking your food can really be an eye opening experience. I find even if I eat too much, it still helps to write it down. I don't feel as stressed about it and I can usually avoid falling into the trap of "well, I've already blown it so might as well go big or go home."

I wasn't much of a red meat eater before. I like it, but unless someone else prepares it I don't eat it. I don't deal well with handling raw meat...boneless skinless chicken breast is my limit and that grosses me out, too. LOL However, I have made an effort to branch out and try new things. The co-op that I participate in has really helped with that. I get a basket full of fruits and veggies and a lot of times there is something in there I've never tried. It's actually kind of fun, but then again, I'm a bit of a dork.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I eat some much chicken that I'm going to grow a beak, that being said, I try and sneak in some read meat here and there. I've also been trying to eat more salads, more veggies, I need to get bette with the fruit. I just perfer the savory of veggies over the sweetness of fruit.

The app for tracking is probably a good thing. Especially if you are honest with it.

For me, I do best when I limit the "bad" carbs, at least in terms of keep the weight down. It's just hard to give up the breads and rice/pasta/potatoes....
It's weird. I LOVE carbs, but I have found that I really don't miss the rice, pasta and potatoes. They are so high in points and I get so few to eat for the day, it's usually not worth it to me. I still eat bread. I'm sure it's not the healthiest but it's low calorie. I can only give up so much.

Like Sixy said, I wouldn't worry about not eating much fruit. I have to be very careful about that because I love fruit and could sit and eat it all day long. My blood sugar levels are fine, but too much fruit will definitely hamper my weight loss efforts, and I'm down to my last 8.6 pounds, and yes, tenths matter.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
That's actually a good thing though. Fruits contain a lot of sugar and though it's natural sugar, it's still not wise in excess.

I like raw veggies moreso than cooked veggies and I've been on a sugar snap pea kick lately. They are in season and so darn yummy (and fun to eat!).

Tracking can be an eye opener. Even though I don't eat full on meals most of the times, there were some days where I went way over in points because I kept thinking "I haven't eaten that much"...and then I wrote it down

Does red meat contribute that much to high cholesterol? Or is it more the lack of dietary fiber and good fats?

Bunch of skinny people on this board! Great work SD!! It's a ***** sometimes but I have always found the more success I have, the more I want to succeed.

I don't eat red meat or pork anymore and I find that I really don't miss it at all. I used to get a hankering here and there for it, but not so much anymore.

My issue is always that I graze too much and I wind up picking through the day. It adds up fast!

I don't eat a lot of bread...rarely have a sandwhich and I don't tend to eat bread (like italian bread) for the sake of eating it. I don't cook a lot of carbs anymore come to think of it...out of laziness...LOL
Potatoes, rice..etc. They all take more than 5 minutes to cook. I like that my husband can throw something on the grill and I can have veggies and a salad done in less than 15 minutes.
I'm a grazer, too. It's really bad at work and I know most of the time it's just out of boredom. I've started spacing out the food I bring so I'm eating small snacks every couple hours. It seems to be helping. I don't get too hungry and I stop obsessing over the fact that I can't have more food for four or more hours. Sitting at a desk all day sucks.

I'm with you on the pasta and potatoes. Part of why I never make them for myself is pure laziness. I'm sure it annoys SD sometimes, but I don't want to spend a lot of time preparing a meal. I usually just want to grab some healthy stuff, throw it in a bowl and be done with it. Too much focus on food, in terms of cooking full meals, recipes, etc, stresses me out. It's already hard enough to have to think about food so much and worrying about how many points everything is and tracking it.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:31 PM

52,274 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I'm a grazer, too. It's really bad at work and I know most of the time it's just out of boredom. I've started spacing out the food I bring so I'm eating small snacks every couple hours. It seems to be helping. I don't get too hungry and I stop obsessing over the fact that I can't have more food for four or more hours. Sitting at a desk all day sucks.

I'm with you on the pasta and potatoes. Part of why I never make them for myself is pure laziness. I'm sure it annoys SD sometimes, but I don't want to spend a lot of time preparing a meal. I usually just want to grab some healthy stuff, throw it in a bowl and be done with it. Too much focus on food, in terms of cooking full meals, recipes, etc, stresses me out. It's already hard enough to have to think about food so much and worrying about how many points everything is and tracking it.
Yeah, we've been trying to start to really limit how much actual cooking we're doing during the week. We'll sometimes do up the nicer or more complicated meals on a Friday, that is fun, but during the work week, we're trying to cook up something and try and get it to last a couple of days, or do you like you said, just throw something simple together, like last night, just whipped up BLT's cause it was quick and easy, got lazy and bought the precooked bacon so it was just a matter of warming that up for a few seconds.

Things on that order. The problem I find is that if you go too simple and too quick you might have a tendency to not eat as healthy or balanced.

The real key is to try and limit the fast food and we're getting much much better with that, its just hard to eat healthy if you do the burger and fries. I mean you got the fat and the carbs and the lack of nutrition, pretty much a trifecta of damage....

Old 06-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I'm down to my last 8.6 pounds, and yes, tenths matter.
LOL, they sure do! I have either 4lbs to lose or 12lbs...depending on where I want to be in the end. I've been here for a while though

Quote:

Going back to work was good and bad for me. I ate a lot better, but then I didn't exercise as much. My lunch break was 20 minutes (if I didn't have something else scheduled then which was common) and we had planning meetings in the afternoons when kids were at specials so there wasn't a lot of time to eat.

I packed lunch in the mornings, always when I could make rational food decisions and so when I was craving a goodie, it wasn't accessible. I would bring my coffee and have a kashi bar when I got to work for breakfast (kept those in my cabinets in the room). I'd eat something at lunchtime, shove a snack in at meeting time and at the end of the day before I came home I'd have a handful of almonds (kept those in my desk). Then I'd pop a piece of gum in my mouth in the car so I wasn't tempted when I got home and the kids were picking through the pantry.

I eat more now, but I have been running and weight training so it all balances out. If I could just eat the way I do at work and exercise the way I do on breaks I'd be golden...I am just lacking that discipline right now! lol

I'm with you though. If I didn't have a family to feed I'd be completely satisfied with a few raw veggies, cheese and a few crackers and a glass of wine for dinner.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we've been trying to start to really limit how much actual cooking we're doing during the week. We'll sometimes do up the nicer or more complicated meals on a Friday, that is fun, but during the work week, we're trying to cook up something and try and get it to last a couple of days, or do you like you said, just throw something simple together, like last night, just whipped up BLT's cause it was quick and easy, got lazy and bought the precooked bacon so it was just a matter of warming that up for a few seconds.

Things on that order. The problem I find is that if you go too simple and too quick you might have a tendency to not eat as healthy or balanced.

The real key is to try and limit the fast food and we're getting much much better with that, its just hard to eat healthy if you do the burger and fries. I mean you got the fat and the carbs and the lack of nutrition, pretty much a trifecta of damage....
Yes, I do have to be careful not to buy convenience foods. I also try to wash and prep the fruits and veggies when I get them so they are easily accessible in the fridge. That helps. I can just grab a bunch of stuff and throw an easy salad together and be done with it.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
For me simple means EASY...raw veggies (because I'm too lazy to cook them), a handful of crackers and some cheese is all I need. When my husband is away we don't eat a full dinner...the kids prefer quickies too like deviled eggs or quesadillas...etc.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
LOL, they sure do! I have either 4lbs to lose or 12lbs...depending on where I want to be in the end. I've been here for a while though

Going back to work was good and bad for me. I ate a lot better, but then I didn't exercise as much. My lunch break was 20 minutes (if I didn't have something else scheduled then which was common) and we had planning meetings in the afternoons when kids were at specials so there wasn't a lot of time to eat.

I packed lunch in the mornings, always when I could make rational food decisions and so when I was craving a goodie, it wasn't accessible. I would bring my coffee and have a kashi bar when I got to work for breakfast (kept those in my cabinets in the room). I'd eat something at lunchtime, shove a snack in at meeting time and at the end of the day before I came home I'd have a handful of almonds (kept those in my desk). Then I'd pop a piece of gum in my mouth in the car so I wasn't tempted when I got home and the kids were picking through the pantry.

I eat more now, but I have been running and weight training so it all balances out. If I could just eat the way I do at work and exercise the way I do on breaks I'd be golden...I am just lacking that discipline right now! lol

I'm with you though. If I didn't have a family to feed I'd be completely satisfied with a few raw veggies, cheese and a few crackers and a glass of wine for dinner.
I'm sure it will be awhile before I get to goal. It's probably a good thing I'm not there yet, because we are going on vacation in a few weeks. I'd hate to get to maintenance and try NOT to gain anything while on vacation. I mean, I'm not going to let it be a free for all, but there are things I will give myself permission to enjoy.

In the summer I have a 30 minute lunch break, during the school year (university), it's an hour. I have a coworker who also struggles with weight and eating healthy, so we have started walking at lunch. We don't get as much exercise when we only have 30 minutes, but it's better than nothing. On the days I don't walk at lunch, I just feel like a slug all day.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM

52,274 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
For me simple means EASY...raw veggies (because I'm too lazy to cook them), a handful of crackers and some cheese is all I need. When my husband is away we don't eat a full dinner...the kids prefer quickies too like deviled eggs or quesadillas...etc.
yeah, that sounds pretty good.

I find that if you plan ahead somewhat for "quickie" meals you can be ok, it's just the lack of planning can ********* up........

I think a lot of parents, especially, because of being stressed and busy could slip up and hit the McDonald's drive thru and have their kids eat that just for the convenience, not all parents do this obviously, and even if you did it once in a while wouldn't be the end of the world.

Edit to add, I don't know what I wrote that caused the auto sensors to go nuts... I think I said "screw up".... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships