Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,566,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Ha! That irritates my vet, but they realize we will spend the money and not because they say so.
I used to have issues with that sometimes at my old vet. Not the vet himself, but the front office staff. Sometimes they'd ask me if I had their shots done elsewhere. I just said nope.

Other than the first time we took the dogs in and I told the vet I don't do it, it really hasn't come up. Occasionally they will note they are "due" and ask if I want them and I just decline. However, I do have to board them occasionally now, so they have to get the required vaccs for that.

It really irritates me that the law here calls for rabies vaccs every 2 years. So stupid.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,669,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
All this vet talk is disturbing me, as our cat is about as old as Jesus and he's starting to breakdown.... I just friggin pray he's gonna go after a big ass meal and in his sleep.

I don't know if I have the strength in me to have him put down...

My mom's death 5 or 6 yrs ago kicked my ass......

I don't know......
It is heartbreaking when a pet gets old and is in pain...but it's all about their quality of life...sometimes to put them down is the more loving thing to do!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM

19,438 posts, read 15,289,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
We have changed vets several times due to dissatisfaction with the main cause being they were primarily "maintenance vets." A friend recommended their vet and we have been pretty happy with them. This vet understands we take care of our dogs and will spend the money to do so.
I think that's exactly what we're experiencing. I'm actually surprised sometimes that they don't even question us or advise us on things that seem to me to be elementary. I'll pay more, but please just care enough and put forth some effort to educate us and work with us. The last medication they recommended to us, the doctor didn't even mention the warning to not stop administering the medication suddenly, it could be very dangerous. I had to read up on it and discover it myself. You'd think they'd be afraid of lawsuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I am very lucky, then. The vet I had where I used to live was awesome. I didn't care for all of the front office staff or one of the other vets, so I was particular about seeing my vet. When my shepherd mix was dying, he had me meet him at the clinic on a Sunday (they were closed) to give her a steroid shot (last ditch effort to see if it gave her some more good days) and didn't even charge me. Just a wonderful man.

Other than the one vet, I love the clinic we go to here. The front staff is SO nice, especially now that we see them so often. Haha. When I had Bea put to sleep, they sent us a beautiful hand made card with a nice saying and a lock of her fur. When we were in there a few days after that, the receptionist told me she cried when she saw Bea's name on the sympathy list. That was back in July, and when we go in she still reminisces with us about Bea.

Their prices are very reasonable and they don't usually try to up sell and get us to do a bunch of things that aren't necessary. They also don't bug me about my decision to not vaccinate regularly.
I'm sorry about your shepherd mix.

The one thing I *have* noticed, though, is that all of the front desk people have been great. I've never seen such consistent great service before. And that's so nice of your staff to do what they did about Bea. When we take our cat into the exam room, they'll have a cute (erasable) sign that will say something like, "Hi, (cat's name), you look very handsome today." LOL.

I agree about the vaccination thing, too. Our vet even suggested we forego that in order to better be able to afford other treatments for our cat.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,927,778 times
Quote:
I'd shank a mo fo for some good meatloaf.....
True dat.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM

52,348 posts, read 52,815,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
It is heartbreaking when a pet gets old and is in pain...but it's all about their quality of life...sometimes to put them down is the more loving thing to do!
I know... our last vet was telling us about a cat he treated named "Carl" and how his owner would bring him in to have his bowels "evacuated".... basically just trying to extend his life cause his owner didn't wanna have him put down.

This saddened me greatly and I'd never put our cat through that, which is why I'm thinking about having him put down when the time comes...

I always think about Carl and I don't wanna put our kitty through anything unecessary....

IDK.. the whole thing just kills me......

Old 02-23-2013, 07:14 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,784,043 times
I had a good vet in Chicago as well. When my dog Lucky (not so lucky in this case) came down with nasal cancer I couldn't afford all the treatments because I was a broke graduate student at the time. But instead of not giving my dog a chance to live, the vet agreed to let me make payments. I thought that was really awesome of her. But Even after spending tons of money giving him every chance possible poor Lucky didn't make it

Old 02-23-2013, 07:16 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,095,786 times
Quote:
I know... our last vet was telling us about a cat he treated named "Carl" and how his owner would bring him in to have his bowels "evacuated".... basically just trying to extend his life cause his owner didn't wanna have him put down.

This saddened me greatly and I'd never put our cat through that, which is why I'm thinking about having him put down when the time comes...

I always think about Carl and I don't wanna put our kitty through anything unecessary....

I really hope my animals all pass on without any issues because I'm kind of anti-euthenasia.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 PM

19,438 posts, read 15,289,607 times
I forgot to mention, too, that that first vet we went to, he was from a culture very different from ours. I'm not going to name it, and it could very well have not been the issue, but I also got the feeling that he didn't like me, the woman, speaking up and asking quesitons. I could be wrong, but it was just the feeling I got from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
The worst part is that we don't speak the same language, LOL. It's heartbreaking when our famiy members, etc., are in the same position, but you can talk to them, and ask them to decide things (in the optimal situation). With pets, you have to guess the point where they don't want to suffer anymore. You have to struggle with guilt along with everything else. But I agree, I definitely don't want to inflict more suffering because we're too cowardly to let them go.

Quote:

Yeah, that story about Carl was horrible.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,784,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I really hope my animals all pass on without any issues because I'm kind of anti-euthenasia.
Well when my dog got sick the vet said he had a good chance of making a full recovery with treatment. So we gave him every chance we could, but unfortunately the treatments were just not working and he got worse. So eventually the vet told us it was time, and she said if she were in our shoes she would put him down so that's what we did.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,165,763 times
My dog Yoda (you can see him in profile albums), is reaching the 12 year mark this year. Hopefully he'll truck along for a few more years, and pass peacefully. The family did have to put down his brother though due to illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships